Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Floor pan spot weld removal
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hosocat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject: Floor pan spot weld removal Reply with quote

I'm cutting out the floor pans on my 76 super, and I've run into a problem. When I try to chisel through the spot welds, I'm not making any progress. I'm using a pneumatic air chisel, and I place the flat chisel in between the pan and ledge at the spot weld and hammer away for several minutes, but can't seem to get the welds to break.

I've not done this type of body work before, so I don't know if I'm just a weakling, or if I'm doing something wrong. Should I be drilling out the spot welds before I use the pneumatic gun? I've viewed the "Bug Me" videos, and it seems like their welds come right apart with a pneumatic gun, and I don't think they predrilled the welds. Maybe I'm not using enough air pressure, but it sounds like enough (ie real rapid "brrpp" sounds, and I can feel the hammering against my hands).

Could anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks for your help.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chubber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor pan spot weld removal Reply with quote

hosocat wrote:
I'm cutting out the floor pans on my 76 super, and I've run into a problem. When I try to chisel through the spot welds, I'm not making any progress. I'm using a pneumatic air chisel, and I place the flat chisel in between the pan and ledge at the spot weld and hammer away for several minutes, but can't seem to get the welds to break.

Have you sharpened your chisels?

If the weld doens't break in a few seconds of hammering, you should think about drilling it, even if just a little, that will help with breaking it free.
'74 Super Beetle Convertible (Sold)
toddyvol
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the BugMe Video they did use a spot weld bit from Eastwood. I'm doing exactly the samething with my pans also. I'm not sure if I'll buy the spot weld bit.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailm...=spot+weld
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jowlz
The Anti-Purist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drill them out. If you drill them right you should be able to pop them witha flathead screwdriver. I think I used slightly larger than 1/4" bit when I did mine. Good luck
HotRodedXXX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that helped me was taking a grinder and griding each weld. This weakens it up quite a bit. Made the chisel work go much smoother.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
savage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the cheap air chisels available simply don't have enough power to cut anything, they just make a lot of noise. I am a former Snap-on dealer and I remember one customer that bought a cheapie air hammer and it wouldn't cut one spot weld. He bought one from me and one short burst and it was through.
Also, you have to make sure you're not cutting into the frame metal. That would slow it down.
Good luck!

Ed
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: