Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A couple Heater channel questions...
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oicdn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: A couple Heater channel questions... Reply with quote

I've done a bit of research, but am a little confused as to what parts I need.

A picture is worth a thousand words:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As far as getting that repaired, what all is needed? Sounds stupid, but I know it's the heater channel, but what about that flat part BELOW it, where the running boards screw into. Is that part of the heater channel, or is that an additional part needed? Is that the only thing I need? I see mamotorworks has like 5 different things for the heater channel area.

Running board retainer $12.99
Rocker panel $19.99
Complete heater channel $99.99
Heater channel bottom plate $34.99
Heater channel repair panel $29.99

What parts do I need to repair that area? The other side looks fine, which is why I don't understand how that side is so bad, the other has nil rust, not even bubbling through the paint. But I'll replace both anyhow.

Secondly, I've looked and only places I can find a complete heater channel is mamotorworks, and one other place which I can't remember...which was more expensive by like $30...so out that place goes...Where's the cheapest place for the heater channel area?

And lastly, what's a decent price for a shop to install those?

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y160/ThePoliticalThinker/lb.jpg
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
HotRodedXXX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need a the deluxe heater channel www.cip1.com and more the likely repair metal for the inner fenderwell.

One reason for this side rusting out is the seal for your antenna may have gone bad. Water goes from there right into the channel. Thats what happend on my 68.

Look to pay a shop at least 1000 dollars to do this repair. My suggestion is.. Take that money, buy a welder, metal tools, repair panels, and the bug me video and do it yourself. I did my oval and it was a first time project for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oicdn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sick...even less than anticipated (cost of channel).

$1000 for the repair? The average shop labor per hour is like $60, so 17+ hours of labor to do that?

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y160/ThePoliticalThinker/lb.jpg
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
HotRodedXXX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea thats about right.

Its a time intensive job. Body comes off in various stages, have to remove old channel, fit new one.... I would reccomend picking up the Bugmevideo (search this site for more info on the vid) and watching it. That could give you an idea of the task at hand.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KantDriveFast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm about to embark on the same job myself...what you need is the "complete heater channel". It is all the other parts assembled, vs sold seperately. I haven't bought the video yet, but It claims to give details on doing it with body on or off pan. Hope this helps?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: