Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

leaky fresh air vents
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grungeut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:33 pm    Post subject: leaky fresh air vents Reply with quote

i'm up here in the Northewest and two squarebacks have done the same thing. water leaks in through the fresh air vents below the windshield. does anyone else have this problem....and what do you do about it? any suggestions would be awesome. thanks
SquareTone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Search is always a good place to start.
You can run something flexible down the drain hoses to unplug them.
I also had to replace some missing screws that hold the boxes in place.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69sqbck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:49 pm    Post subject: air vents Reply with quote

I had the same problem with my 69 square. You need to make sure the drain lines (there are 2) are not full of crap. You can check this by pooring some water into each vent box and look under the car by the front beam. If nothing is coming out you have a pluged line. You can clean it out with some flexible wire or by using compressed air. Second you need to check the vent box seals. They are on the inside between the vent box and the cowl. You will have to remove the wiper motor and arms to get these out so be preparred for some fun. The vent box seals are more than likely shot dut to age and you cannot get replacement seals so I used a roll of windsheild tar seal. I rolled it in my hand to get it soft and plyable then set it on top of the old worn seal all the way arount the vent box. Then just put it back in and tighten it down good and snug. Some of the tar will come out on top through the vents so make sure you remove it right away. I have not had a drop of water in the car for over two years since I did this. Hope it helps...
1969 Type 3 Fastback
(o)\|/(o) Sole Designs, VW Restorations, Savannah, GA
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the screens are deteriorated, check out the repair article for fresh air vents at www.type34.org
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: