Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What to do to fix my bus (Part 2)
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:18 am    Post subject: What to do to fix my bus (Part 2) Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

trying to fix the 2 side with "new" metal. finding donor is just too much of a pain in this part of the world. So, to fix this "hole", think these would do the job? Some straight Steel panel will be used to fill "hole" between the panel

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211809160
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211809164BX
rocker will be needed too of course...
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList_test.cfm?ID=211809101X

For this side, a straight steel panel will be used to fix the hole, but as you can see, the wheel well is rough, so i'll need to replace that one too.

would this part be tall enough to fix the rust?
http://wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211813355X

one last note, anyone have some kind of drawing or whatever that shows just where the part goes up to exactly? kinda hard to figure with the indication given in the description.
Splittie Mojo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm definitely no expert, but have some of the same problems your photos show on my bus that I'm looking to fix. My plan is to cut out the rusty metal and weld in new stuff where necessary. The holes in the flat metal panels would seem to be the easiest. Just get some similiar metal (18 gauge steel is what I plan to use) and cut out the old and weld in a new piece. As I say, I'm not expert and I know it'll be easier said than done -- nonetheless, that's my plan.

I ordered what looks idential to the lower rear corner from Wolfsburg West (except I think I got mine from Bus Depot, closer to me, less shipping). I don't think that it'll quite get everything you're looking to fix, but I called around to a number of places and I couldn't find a corner piece that goes all the way up that was new. I called around to a few junkyard type places (local and around the country) and was told it would cost a minimum of $75 for the part -- if they had one at all. One place said they would check and email a pic if they had something and I never saw anything come through.

Beyond that, I have ordered a few different replacement pieces and have been less than thrilled with the quality of what I've gotten. The worst has been what is supposed to be replacement material for lower tracks that the front two windows sit in. Unfortunately, it was too late to return when I finally got around to pulling them out of the box and trying to fit them up. At $80, it was definitely not worth the price. Others have been closer to what's advertised, but frequently have come out of the box bent to some extent or not perfect fits as "replacements." So, I'd say fab up or find off an existing splittie first, and buy where you absolutely must.

Good luck!

M.
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, the flat part should be easy to fix... but since i need to do wheel well too, wondering how big they are...

bus depot has the same item as Wolfsburgwest?
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enkiel wrote:

sometimes....i think bus depot carries a mix of barzillian panels (like WW) and some european panels....klockenhomer? or something like that....they ussually say where the pieces they sell are manufactured on their website....

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marklaken wrote:
enkiel wrote:

sometimes....i think bus depot carries a mix of barzillian panels (like WW) and some european panels....klockenhomer? or something like that....they ussually say where the pieces they sell are manufactured on their website....

just checked a few part... they dont say where they get them....but anyway...

biggest problem right now is finding if the piece will fill the hole, or if i'll need to patch between each part
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: