Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Adjusting float on Dellorto FRD34's
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Fat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: Adjusting float on Dellorto FRD34's Reply with quote

This past weekend I took my car into a local reputable shop to have it tuned up.

From what I knew, the car was running OK before, but wouldn't idle that well and would stall out at traffic lights, or slowing down, etc.

The shop replaced the plugs, checked the resistance on the plug wires, checked compression (120 - 135 all around), balanced the carbs, and tightened the balance tube (it was kinda loose). They also set the timing on the 009 distributor and checked the points.

I took it out for a test run and it felt way better than before, however there was some bogging at WOT - I was about to have them figure that out when this terrible metallic rattling started. As it turns out, the pin on the fan pulley had sheared off and the fan pulley had loosened to the point where it was more or less moving around on it's own. Not good. I guess that explains the squeaking noise though...

The shop happened to have another pulley so they installed it and re-timed the car.

Problem is now that the car feels bogged ALL the time. I had to leave the shop due to prior commitments but the mechanic is confident that it's a problem with the float in the carbs. He suggests pulling the float and adding a washer? to bring it up a bit.

Not that I doubt him (40 years experience) but before I pull the carbs and try to raise a float (with 0 years experience) I'd like a second opinion.

I've probably left some details out - I'm trying to remember as best I can what was happening - so if you need any further info just let me know.

Thanks guys.
Big Fat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...oh I should add that you really have to mat the gas pedal to get it to start, even then it's hesitant. And driving around town it feels real low on power - and if it doesn't stall out at a traffic light, it idles around 2000rpm.

Oh, and one of the comments that the mechanic made was "it's as if it's running without it's electric idle adjustment... but it doesn't have one"
Jeremy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just wondering why they re-timed it after they changed the pulley ??

Anyway my guess is they pulled off the carb linkage to make it easier to get to everything. When it was put back together the linkage was moved and your carbs are now out of synch.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: