Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

how and what do I do??????
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
71type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: how and what do I do?????? Reply with quote

I don't really know a whole lot but I know somethin here needs to be replaced. Can someone please help!!

[img]http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=7/19114322589.jpg&s=x2[/img]
[img]http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=7/19114291136.jpg&s=x2[/img]
[img]http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=7/19114345336.jpg&s=x2[/img]
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'd say that door track looks like it needs a new panel welded in. You'll probably have to find a donor car and graft it in there.

BTW, hint for you, you need to view your pictures AFTER you upload them to that site, then right click on them, open the Properties, then copy the image URL from there, and use that in your image link.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
71type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thank you. I thought I did that. The door kept falling off and not shutting right. Could the inner-outter rockers need replacing if so where are they and how do I get these peices off.
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cut/drill out/separate each of the hundred spot welds holding the panels in. You straighten up what is left and plug weld the replacement in. To do it right, the repair is fairly time consuming becuase you are dealing with a number of welds as well as door alignment.

Be careful whose replacement parts you use.

What year bus is that?
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

judging from his username, I think it's a 71 bus.... Wink

andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
71type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a 71 type 2........I don't know what hundred spots are or anything. I am tryin to get directions and part names I probally need to fix my problem. So far you guys are helping some. If only I knew more.

Spencer
VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

71type2 wrote:
I don't know what hundred spots are or anything.Spencer

hes talking about the spot welds. these are what the factory used to connect the rocker to the body of the bus. to seperate the rocker, you must drill out each and every weld with a 1/8" drill bit (somebody correct me if im wrong). when you are replacing the rocker, you must replace those welds with plug welds. plug welds are replacements for factory spot welds. you make them by drilling a hole 5/16" (again, someone correct if im wrong) in the top piece of metal. with the two pieces together, you just weld up the hole. i usually do it in between all of the factory welds
71type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok well what do the factory welds look like. We had a guy tell us today to take a jack and jack a 2x4 under it until the door slid and shut like its suppose to then weld a peice of iron under it. Would that work??
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are your goals for this bus? Just get the door to shut and let the rust continue until you throw the bus away, or fix it correctly?

If this panel was meant to have "a piece of iron" welded to it, then it would have come that way from the factory.

You obviously do not know the first thing about welding, and the replacement rocker assembly must be welded in by someone familiar with the restoration of rusty old vehicles. This is not an easy repair, and it is tedious because you have to separate a hundred or more spot-welded joints. If you don't understand what a spotweld is, use the internet to educate yourself. Bottom line--you need to take the bus to a body shop where it can be repaired properly. Tell us where you are located and we will tell you where to order the best quality reproduction of this panel assembly.
71type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in Roanoke VA but do not have alot of money to get it fixed. I am on a $2000 budget to get the door fixed and floor panel put in which my step dad can do
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggest you start a thread in the baywindow bus forum asking what parts are needed and who makes the best one. I have pulled a split bus apart in that area but am not entirely clear what other parts are needed on a bay, because the door rides in a track there. The guys in that forum may have an inside track on whose parts are better fitting than others. I suggest you search that forum first though, as I am sure the question has been asked and answered.
You should be able to get this done inside your budget.

Include all three pictures in your posting.

Take the parts with you to the welder.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: