Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Confused 71 fastback
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
2bugtony
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Confused 71 fastback Reply with quote

Hello All
I've got a chance to buy a 71 fastback but I wanted to ask you guys what you think. The car is a 71 fastback but it is said to have a 1800cc bus engin in it. That doesn't sound right to me. Did VW ever make a 1800cc engin? And if they did would it even work in a fastback. The guy that owns it say that it won't move because of the engin not matching up with the transaxle. I'm going to go look at it tomorrow. I just wanted to get your thoughts first.
Thanks Tony Idea
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Confused 71 fastback Reply with quote

2bugtony wrote:
Hello All
I've got a chance to buy a 71 fastback but I wanted to ask you guys what you think. The car is a 71 fastback but it is said to have a 1800cc bus engin in it. That doesn't sound right to me. Did VW ever make a 1800cc engin? And if they did would it even work in a fastback. The guy that owns it say that it won't move because of the engin not matching up with the transaxle. I'm going to go look at it tomorrow. I just wanted to get your thoughts first.
Thanks Tony Idea

sounds like a mess....

VW did put a 1.8l Type 4 motor in a bus, but also built the same size for the 914.... a Type 4 motor will work in a Type 3, just requires some engineering skill - witness "the engin not matching up with the transaxle"....

when looking at it, I would consider it as a car with no motor, but a with a motor thrown in...

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
2bugtony
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Blankmange
The guy that owns it says that he has two of these motors. Do you think that the engines would be good for any thing else. I think I can get the hole lot for not to much $$$$$.
Thanks for your help. Tony
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts are, Never refuse any parts for an air cooled VW. Everything is usable by someone.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FASTBACKDON
The other insensitive jerk like Neil

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

russ I do agree
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ Wolfe wrote:
My thoughts are, Never refuse any parts for an air cooled VW. Everything is usable by someone.

I agree -- if the price is right, take all of it...

you can put the Type 4 motor in the fastback, it just isn't stock (important to some people) and will require some extra work...

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
2bugtony
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was think'n just lke your guy. I'm going to see what I can do. I might try to do some trade'n. I'll let you know. how things go. By the way I Live in WV. In case I get some parts and someone needs some. I've Messed with Bugs and have just started withe Type3's . I think you all for your help.
Tony.
baja5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An extra type 4 would be great in an offroad car. you should post it in the off road classifieds if you want to get rid of it. type 4 motors are getting very popular for their power and reliability offroad.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: