Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 1 dude having type 3 brake problems
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject: Type 1 dude having type 3 brake problems Reply with quote

Actually my buddy with a '71 Square is having problems, I'm just helping. The symptoms are mushy pedal, no leaks, rear brake shoes replaced, fluid flowing to the rears, but under little pressure. Brake pedal goes all the way to the floor with pressure and front brakes seem to engage. We replaced the master with a rebuilt unit from a FLAPS, but have more or less the same problem. There are also seems to be an inordinant amount of air in the system, but again there are seemingly no leaks. We bleed the system till there is no air, but still there is not pressure, and then a little later more air in the line. He is not losing fluid. So what should we look for before we buy another master cylinder. I tend to think we got a bum part, but maybe I'm missing something here?
--Dan
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone messed with the rod from the pedal to the master cylinder?
Ther should be about 2mm play between the rod and the master cylinder. Also, check the rubber seals and the hoses from the resevoir to the master cylinder.
Also, after all these years, the rubber flex hoses go bad, and do not let fluid flow in and out.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ Wolfe wrote:
Has anyone messed with the rod from the pedal to the master cylinder?
Ther should be about 2mm play between the rod and the master cylinder. Also, check the rubber seals and the hoses from the resevoir to the master cylinder.
Also, after all these years, the rubber flex hoses go bad, and do not let fluid flow in and out.

We didnt' touch the rod, and everything worked ok before. We did replace the rubber hoses from the res to the MC. Fluid is flowing from the MC to the rear wheel cyls, its just that it is not under enough pressure to apparently activate the wheel cyls unless it is pumped and even then does not hold pressure. That's why I assume it is the MC that is the problem.
--Dan
M113
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might check the rubber hoses that come off the metal brake lines. I once had the same problem and thought it was the mc. I bought 2 mc before I decided to check the rubber hoses. I was getting fluid to the wheel cylinders and there was no leaks, however the lines were full of gunk that allowed fluid thru but did not build up pressure. After replacing all 4 I was ok.

Joe
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: