Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

should we start a Type 3 parts wish list at the DDB?
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobskulll
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:51 am    Post subject: should we start a Type 3 parts wish list at the DDB? Reply with quote

I got an idea and I want to get some feedback. I was thinking of starting a database at the DDB of your parts wish lists, and then I would e-mail/call people who have parts on their list that we come across in good condition. I haven't worked out how to determine who would get first dibs on the rare stuff, so I want your feedback on that as well. Maybe the lists could be in order of your desire to have i.e. I want an N model clock block off plate, but I need a set of bumper blades. If enough people are interested I'll post my e-mail for you to start sending your lists in. So, good idea? Stupid idea? let me know. Would you be annoyed getting an e-mail from me telling you we have a part you're looking for?
ddb member #9
Mr. Bubblehead
El Chupa Nibre

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: should we start a Type 3 parts wish list at the DDB? Reply with quote

bobskulll wrote:
Would you be annoyed getting an e-mail from me telling you we have a part you're looking for?

Why would that be annoying? That would be helpful.
Samba Member #4862
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rokcrln
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a godd idea. I feel you would need to have a post showing who wants what and in what order they asked you for it. Like john askes for a muffler bearing before dave asked so dave knows john gets first dibs at your fair asking price for said muffler bearing. If john declines (your prices are to much money for these rare bearings Laughing ) then dave is next in like. Any other way and it would get out of hand and alot of people would get pissed off and not want to do buisness. Just my $.02

Kevin

If any one needs a muffler bearing I only have then in a left right blank thread right now Wink
05 Tube frame rockcrawler
04 Mini Cooper S
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a data base that the person could add and subtract from themself. Basically, build a T-3 parts inventory.
This is what the salvage yard I go to does. I walked in and asked for a RR brake caliper for a 1990 Chevy Lumina. He entered the data into his computer and it printered out the stock number of every car in the yard that still had one on it, and where they were located in the yard.
If we can build a T-3 and T-34 registry, we should be able to build an online parts inventory.
I would be willing to supply the server space on classicvw.org, or on one of my servers here at home.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ Wolfe wrote:
How about a data base that the person could add and subtract from themself. Basically, build a T-3 parts inventory.
This is what the salvage yard I go to does. I walked in and asked for a RR brake caliper for a 1990 Chevy Lumina. He entered the data into his computer and it printered out the stock number of every car in the yard that still had one on it, and where they were located in the yard.
If we can build a T-3 and T-34 registry, we should be able to build an online parts inventory.
I would be willing to supply the server space on classicvw.org, or on one of my servers here at home.

I like this idea better. Some of us here have more than 1 car, and the parts needed might be a priority for one, but not the other(s). Rolling Eyes Usuallly, I'll just send an e-mail to Martin, and he'll get back with me if he has it. Cool The biggest problem with a wish list, is it can get very long and expensive. Shocked
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
TheDDB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So-

I guess that I should mention here, that Bob [bobskulll] has come on board here and looks to be taking on the website and websales part of things. [along with some shop time also]
I hope to get back into the shop and spend more time building shiny big motors, and doing more R&D with the cars.

He has some good thought and will be implementing some of my other ideas that I havent gotten around to.

Also just so you know Bob sports a very low primer black 66 fasty that here brought out here from Ohio with him.

So with that said......

Home of the only bolt on type 3 air ride kit
http://www.theDDB.com

Its a type 3 thing, so you might not understand
Yes I Walk the Walk
bobskulll
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ Wolfe wrote:

I've got something like this in the works, but the wish list thing would be in addition to that. The idea is that you as a customer don't have to search for the part, I'll do that for you. If I find what you are looking for, and you are broke or decide you don't want it or whatever that's not going to bother me I'll just hit you up next time we have that part or cross it off your list.
ddb member #9
bobskulll
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I like this idea better. Some of us here have more than 1 car, and the parts needed might be a priority for one, but not the other(s). Usuallly, I'll just send an e-mail to Martin, and he'll get back with me if he has it. The biggest problem with a wish list, is it can get very long and expensive.

Totaly understandable. My wish list is a mile long and totals somewhere around $40,000. I'm not going to spend that much for 10 years. There wouldn't be any pressure to buy stuff just because it's on your list. I'm not gonna get all upset because these lists would help me get an idea of what people are looking for and what to look out for on a car. If I know your looking for 6 square inches of sheet metal to fix a rust hole, than I can contact you before we scrap that part of the car. I have found that people are looking for all sorts of things that you wouldn't think to save. Like I always tell Martin, "They don't make these cars anymore," so I'm trying to find ways to get all of the parts out there to put more Type 3s on the road and not scrap something that someone needs. If I have your wish list you can get first crack at the parts we get in and cars we are parting out.
ddb member #9
frank2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes,i will take all the rare stuff!I need more rare stuff for my driveway ornaments.....Frank Very Happy
karfer67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would like a wish list of stuff also to be repoped for us type 3 guys. heck you can build a bug just about with aftermarket stuff but what about poor ol' us?
TheDDB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frank2 wrote:
Yes,i will take all the rare stuff!I need more rare stuff for my driveway ornaments.....Frank Very Happy

yes -You need to add to your "driveway collection" Shocked

Home of the only bolt on type 3 air ride kit
http://www.theDDB.com

Its a type 3 thing, so you might not understand
Yes I Walk the Walk
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its expensive it should go to someone who can actualy pay, not just wish. Wink If its rare Im sure the people who can pay will be notified first. Wink Wink The above ideas are great but need to be maintained and thats hard.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
covelo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a wonderful idea. I have a long list of little things I need for my '73 and it takes too long to find them one at a time. I would love to have someone else maintain this list for me and send me an email when something is found. Now I sometimes just buy expensive and poorly made after market stuff just because I don't have the time or wherewithall to find it used.

And the most important thing is that a system like this would prevent good parts from being scrapped inadvertently!

'72 Bay Window Westfalia (with 2L AVP engine and dual solex carbs) -- sold in 2009
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree - both an online database plus the wish list would be helpful in running down NLA parts or the odd/strange part....

plus: where are my stickers? Smile

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
bobskulll
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I've got it set up. If you want your wish list added to our database send me an email. [email protected]. When I find parts on your list I'll give you call or send you an email asking if you're interested. If you are, great. If not, no worries.
ddb member #9

Last edited by bobskulll on Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
frank2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need some glue in rockers.Got em?-Frank Very Happy
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frank2 wrote:
I need some glue in rockers.Got em?-Frank Very Happy

I found a tube of NOS rocker glue the other day, but it's only enough to do one side. Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: