Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

LP Tank Removal
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
myendaba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: LP Tank Removal Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with removal of the standard LP tank on their vanagons. I have a 85 westy with a tank that looks like very corroded. I think its the original, dont know cause I bought it from a dealer that didnt know anything from the original owner. I am ultimately planning to remove the tank and run a hose for the stove to a portable LP tank. Any help would be appreciated thanks. :?
BavarianWrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would unbolt it and have it checked for leaks, only if it makes you nervous. If it were me I would put a little propane in it and use it. I'm also not afraid of explosions. See how it does. the portable tank sounds like a bummer. When you start packing you'll wish you didn't have to pack the tank. Go to the junkyards and find another tank mount two and run a hose from the second tank to your gas grill. That way there is no 30lbs of tank rolling arround your van. Do what ever your heart desires if you want to pull your tank it just unbolts, 4 bolts and two gas lines, oh and two bolts holding a cover plate over the gas lines. Take the cover off, then the gas lines, then the mounting bolts. Its easy Good Luck.
Ryan Keating
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tank off the tank with the four nuts and disconnect the lines. Drain it and clean the loose rust off it, paint with por 15 paint and reinstall it. Replace the regulator and enjoy. Super easy and very rewarding when you make your first meal in the middle of the boonies.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: