Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I can't get the seats out
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
OiOiOi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: I can't get the seats out Reply with quote

It's a little rust down there, and I find myself pulling all kinds of knobs and levers to get it out, but it doesn't budge. If someone has a picture of the level you are supposed to pull that would be great. Thanks.

Oh, while I'm at it, where is the plate where you would find the original color and interior of your car? The only one I have found is the one behind the spare tire, is that information on there?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nimbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I will try, but I don't have my car back yet to verify. I think you pull up the lever that slides the seat back and forth, and push the seat all the way forward until it comes off the tracks. I am not sure if there is anything else.

As far as color, if you know what the body color was you can look on the wolfsburg west color charts to see what interior colors came with it.

As a new beetle owner myself, I apologize if I have steered you astray. Embarassed
steve's 65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you or a friend pull down on the seat release handle in the front to disengage the metal teeth, while one of you gets in the back seat and pushes the seat toward the front of the car with his legs.

usually works for me
jkersting
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sound a little brutal -- I tried being nice when removing the seats in my 67 -- but get a block of wood and a hammer and convince them loose! Pound on the block of wood to avoid jacking up the seat frame. Also soak the rails with PB Blaster over night. Smile
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PB blaster on the runners and push from behind- Off hand I cant remember if there is one, but make sure if there is any spring that tensions the seat to the runner it is removed.

Its a lot more comfortable to do the kick/shove/push from behind before you take out the rear seat
OiOiOi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pull that little lever thing and it doesn't seem to do anything, it looks like the seat is rusted to the tracks, but I will give those a try when it's a little warmer...so my car will start...and I can get it into the garage...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kim in Tulsa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a little catch on ours...little bitty flap like catch on the outside of the seat runner on the right hand side that we PUSHED DOWN.

It was right down beside the seat runner...we made sure the springs were disconnected on the underneath, then pushed the seat all the way forward, then pushed that little flap down, held it down, and then pushed the seat all the way out.

It was little and on the right side of BOTH seats...

Want me to take a picture? I'd be happy to...

Kim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OiOiOi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be great, thanks.
Kim in Tulsa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok...I'll take the pictures in a sec and try to post them tonight if I can...gotta get my kids in bed, but if I can get back online this evening, I'll post them.

Otherwise, I'll get to it first thing in the morning.

Kim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, working on it outside in the cold sux.
take photos before you rip it apart.

If it were me I'd tackle the mechanics to get it running before the interior, but again, working in the cold really bites
OiOiOi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, being a beginner kinda sucks Wink The second day after I got my car I was working in the garage and forgot to put on the emergency break and she just starts a rollin' down the driveway, so I dive for it and grab the bumper. My mom was asleep upstairs so I'm all alone holding onto this car. I couldn't pull it up for the life of me, and the driveway was icy as anything. If the car did roll down it would either a. hit the fence b. hit one of the other cars c. hit the little kids playing in the snow d. roll into the street/neighbors driveway. I let go for a second and grabbed the wheel chucks I had in the corner of the garage and shoved one under one wheel and ran around in put in the other one. I got the emergency break on and tired a rope from the bumper to the other end of the garage because I was being paranoid and didn't want to loose my baby. I had a similar problem yesterday, this time the emergency break popped off and there goes the bug rolling down the street with me running after it. My grumy neighbor starring at me the whole time. Fun times Very Happy And all beginner stupidity. I should probably do the mechanics first, but this rust is erking me, I'd me much more relaxed starting with a nice rust-free body, do the mechanics, then work on the paint and interior. But the rust has to go.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Block the car good before working on it
SAFETY is free we just have to practice it. Think ahead what will happen if I ??? the take corrective action before proceding.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Downtown Brown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Close one... Now that I'm older I like to start on BRAKES first but not as much fun as the go part I use wheel stops(chucks) and always have double jack stands, guess how I learned that ? Anyway to seat release levers I'm not sure of the year of your Beetle but sitting on the seat my levers are on the right side of the seat I turn them left to right. Light oil soaking even spray lube and WD 40 (light less mess) has worked for me with the use of a hard rubber hammer not metal you'd be surprized how many Beetles have the bottom of the seat tubing to the rear on the curve flattened.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Kim in Tulsa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, see if you have this little latch. If you do, slide the seat clear up as far as you can, then have someone push from the back while you push down on this little latch. The seat should just slide right off the tracks.

This is the passenger side latch...

This is the driver's side latch...

I hope this helps...let me know if it does!

Kim
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky you could stop the car.

One of my 'other' cars is an 85 Benz 300d- it was the classic 'kids playing in car/release the parking brake/roll down the drive with kids screaming inside/into the wire guardrail across the street. Sliced the back end like a hot knife going into butter. No one got hurt, but the guys pride and joy was called a total.

For $300 each a friend and I share it for parts
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no latch on 1967 seats. interior can wait until spring. in march i have a week off work. pay airfare and i can show you more than you even want to know about 1967 beetles. have friend put feet on seat bottom, where tube going from seat track to upholstery, while sitting on back seat. you pull up on lever with teeth to unlock slider.it should come/ move forward.remove spring from seat bottom to track and slide rest of way off. sand paper track on top and grease it. reinstall seat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kim in Tulsa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bill may wrote:
no latch on 1967 seats.

Shucks. I was hoping to be able to help someone in return for all the good info I've received here!

Well, maybe someone will run a search in the future and stumble on my pictures and it will help!

Kim
Calisupastarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kim for helping me out. I saw the post, and knew that I was going to try and tackle some of my car's interior this weekend, and your explanation and pictures really helped me out. I tried one time to get my seats out, and aked a friend of mine how to do it, but your pictures and description make it seem much easier now.
Kim in Tulsa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calisupastarz wrote:
Thanks Kim for helping me out.

It's been my pleasure!

My seats did have a spring under each one that had to be disconnected too. So,

1. Disconnect the spring underneath
2. Pull the seat all the way forward
3. Push down on that little latch (if you have one)
4. Hold it down while someone else pushes the seat out from the back!

My car has been in a field for many years (as you can see from the pictures...it's a mess right now!) The seats still just slid right out!

Kim
Calisupastarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll make sure to disconnect the spring and spray the seat rails with some WD-40 before I start tackling the job.

My car sat in a field for many years too, but little by little, I've been replacing parts (and finding back-ups for parts that are rare) and its coming along pretty good. Mechanically speaking, its in great shape. Running better than I would've ever thought possible, but asthetically the interior and paint show lots of neglect. From your pictures I can tell that the interior of my '69 is in about the same shape as yours.

Thanks again for the insight into the seat issue, it is appreciated.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: