Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

DIY Tranny work
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
abdon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: DIY Tranny work Reply with quote

How hard is it to change the ring and pinnion on a transaxle? I mean, do you need special tools or jigs?

This is the deal; I would love to have a 3.88 R&P on my stock '66 tranny. Everything else is fine so I would be happy with just installing the R&P. If later down the road the tranny needs a full rebuild, I would still have my 3.88 R&P so the parts cost would not be a waste.

One way or another I'll be dropping the tranny and removing the legs myself. I'm just wondering how hard it would be to get to, and replace, just the R&P.
chickengeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY Tranny work Reply with quote

abdon wrote:
How hard is it to change the ring and pinnion on a transaxle? I mean, do you need special tools or jigs?

This is the deal; I would love to have a 3.88 R&P on my stock '66 tranny. Everything else is fine so I would be happy with just installing the R&P. If later down the road the tranny needs a full rebuild, I would still have my 3.88 R&P so the parts cost would not be a waste.

One way or another I'll be dropping the tranny and removing the legs myself. I'm just wondering how hard it would be to get to, and replace, just the R&P.

Little elves put magic in trannys at the factory. If you crack it open, you'll let all the magic out and It'll never work again. Very Happy I'm being half serious, I've changed axles before, but i'd leave cracking a case open to the pros.
abdon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine as much but figure it would not hurt to ask the stupid question.
John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure you can do it yourself! Just be ready for it to howl like a bitch and wear out way before it should!

In all seriousness there are tranny elves that perform magic at the factory and at a good rebuild shop.

It is very easy to replace the ring and pinion...but it is not easy to set the pinion depth, side cover clearence and gear mesh! I may have my terms meesed up but you get the idea. I used to work at a racing school and we used to replace ring and pinions on a regular basis. We had the proper tools, shims, fixtures and dial indicators to do it right.

For our English transmissions, which were basically a copy of a VW tunnel case, the "Crown Wheel and Pinion" were over a thousand dollars a set so we had to do it right.

Too make a long story even longer...you can do it yourself and it might be just fine but without the proper tools you might end up with a mess on your hands!

John
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Noof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crown & pinion replacement is without doubt the most difficult transaxle repair to do properly. Getting it apart is one thing(you need a special socket for the pinion nut), but setting it up is another. I did lots in the first dub shop I worked in. Setting the pinion depth is critical and fussy, because of the shim method used(shims go between pinion brg and case, inside the gear carrier housing).Even with a pinion depth guage, it's tricky. Nott for the noob, for sure. As for the internals, if the tranny worked well before, you can take care of the internals quite easily. I just index the forks to the shift rods to make sure the adjustment is at least as it was..The factory setup uses a holding/adjustment jig to set them up.
abdon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, Noof,

Thanks, that's what I wanted to hear. Now I can feel happy when I shell out the money for a new tranny Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: