Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

71 won't start
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
opus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: 71 won't start Reply with quote

So, I was on my way home from work, and my square back just stopped running. No scarry noises, just stopped. I have plenty of gas. Got it towed home and started to do some checking. Its getting gas. THe coild is sending spark, but the damm thing won't start. It turns over, the battery is fine, just won't catch.

Thanks,,

Opus
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three things needed for an engine to run. compression, fuel, ignition.
One of these is missing.
You say you have fuel, but do you have fuel pressure?? It is Fuel Injected isn't it?? Are the injectors working?? Are the trigger points connected?? Is the fuel pump running??

Please give us more information.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Anniehum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure the fuel pump is working. You will hear it when you turn the key. It will hum for a second. The fuel pump relay will click as will the main relay but the fuel pump makes a hum. Of course that is if the Fuel injection is still in place.
Cheers
opus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does sound like the fuel pump is humming.
Anniehum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Russ said, fuel, ignition and compression. If you have fuel, check the dizzy, points gap, dizzy grounded, rotor cap in place, coil wire in place, trigger points connection in place on the dizzy? Plug wires all on? Give us more information. did the car just quit and not restart? That sounds like fuel pump to me.
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a '71 or newer, leave the key turned on, and go to the engine compartment. Slowly open the throttle by hand. You should hear a series of clicks. 20 to be exact. This says that the ECU has power, and the injectors are working.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Anniehum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ will that test work on a 70 also?
opus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I tried pulling the throttle back with the key on, and there was clicking. What is the ECU?
opus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, let me add this little nugget of info. (gawd I feel like on of those jackasses calling into carTalk) So the car has had a an issue of everyonce in awhile running rough when she first starts. If I drive the car for say ten minutes, then turn it off for ten, when I start again, its fine.
I have no idea if this is related. My focus in the morningis going to be on the distributor. I do not seem to be getting anything out of the spark plug wires when I did Muirs test on them.
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anniehum wrote:
Russ will that test work on a 70 also?

Yes.

Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

opus23 wrote:
So I tried pulling the throttle back with the key on, and there was clicking. What is the ECU?

Electronic Control Unit

Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

opus23 wrote:
Also, let me add this little nugget of info. (gawd I feel like on of those jackasses calling into carTalk) So the car has had a an issue of everyonce in awhile running rough when she first starts. If I drive the car for say ten minutes, then turn it off for ten, when I start again, its fine.
I have no idea if this is related. My focus in the morningis going to be on the distributor. I do not seem to be getting anything out of the spark plug wires when I did Muirs test on them.

Check the resistance of the plug wires, about 1000 ohms each. Check the resistance of the rotor, about 1500-3000 ohms. Should he check the small ground wire on the distributor breaker plate Anne??? Wink

Anniehum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed Yes (said very sheepishly) That little ground wire can cause some rough running and difficult starting.
karenw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, ground wires . . . Annie, I feel your pain (and shame).

Always always look at them suckers. They'll kill your car faster than anything . . .
opus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ummm and were are the ground wires?
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

opus23 wrote:
ummm and were are the ground wires?

There is a small braided on on the distributor breaker plate near the ignition points. Not the one that is actually part of the points, but another one.
There are about 3 or 4 grounds on the block under the right/pass. side of the intake manifold.
You say you hear the pump run, so that one is probably good, up by the gas tank. And the one for the FI is probably good, because you hear the injectors click.
Be sure you are getting spark, and be sure you have fuel pressure.

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clogged fuel filter?
opus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SO I worked on it all day. Found a gas leak replaced that. Tried a different coil, Then I noticed that there is no vacuum line onthe dizzy. I have to recharge the battery before I can do any other testing. Will the vacuum line from the dizzy cause it not to start?

Anyone in the Seattle area want to make a couple of bucks and look at this thing before I junk her?
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the vacuum line off will not stop it from starting. What part of the equation are you missing. fuel, spark, or compression??

Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the vacuum line off will not stop it from starting. What part of the equation are you missing. fuel, spark, or compression??

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: