Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Media blasting
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ladybug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:08 am    Post subject: Media blasting Reply with quote

I have been removing the paint off my bug with a chemical stripper. I have little parts ( front hood springs, tail light housings, etc.) that I need to remove the paint from, too. I'm thinking just to blast them with some sort of media, instead of a chemical strip. My question is, after it gets painted, can you tell the difference between a chemical strip and media blasting? I want them to look the same after its done. Also, what is the best media to use?
orangerail
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: blasting Reply with quote

blasting is much better if you have the equipment,chemical stripping works also , don't get me wrong but you have to put the chemical on then wait , clean off, sand then paint.......blast it.....you blast it , prime then paint....alot less work in my book......just bought a blaster yesterday as a matter of fact....got tired of going to a friends house to do my stuff.....i use a glass media in the blaster works good for me.....some like others thats what i use.....you can get a fairly inexpensive blaster at northern tool and equipment....like i said got one last nite and it works great(as long as you have a compressor)
groovinvwdriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:33 am    Post subject: more info' on your new blaster please Reply with quote

how much and where did you buy your blaster?

_rob

1974 Volkswagen Beetle - Brilliant Orange - 1600cc
2005 Volkswagen Beetle - Reflex Silver - 1.9 TDI PD
1998 Jeep Wrangler - Patriot Blue - 4.0L
orangerail
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: blaster Reply with quote

got mine from northern tool and equipment(formerly northern hydralics) for $149.....its a bech top model....plastic cabinet.....for as much as i do it will work fine Laughing
bmtx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be kinda hard to get a door in that benchtop, Laughing would'nt it
multiplex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can get a blaster from harbor freight.. i did my whole bug that way..

blasting is much better, but you need to be careful not to distort the metal.. always hold the gun at atleast a 45 degree angle to the panel..

i usually strip with chemicals first, and then clean up with the blaster.. (less stress on the metal)

blasting creates a rough finish which is great for primer bonding..

checmical stripping can be more difficult becuase you need to make sure the metal is clean of all residue before you paint, or you will end up with a mess.
bmtx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chemical also winds up being more work if you have a car with a lot of body filler. After the chemical does its thang you still have to sand alot as where a media blast takes it all off.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: