Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

emergency brake cable replacement
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
delux68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: emergency brake cable replacement Reply with quote

hi everyone i have a 68 bus and am in the process of replacing the e brake cables i have disconnected the cables from the handle and pulled them back towards the rear of the bus both have gotten stuck at the end of the tube near the rear suspension. there is a collar on the end of the tube that fits arount the tube and is about 3/4 in long. does that collar come off? how do it get the old cables out?
thanks in advance
jamey
Ry-dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I did this procedure with Colin on my 70 Westy last fall. I think the collar you are talking about runs the last bit from the back of the brake drum to the nearby bracket. Rear brake drum must be removed to unhook from the rear first - maybe you already did this.

We undid the cables from the front; Removed rear wheels and drums; Unhooked existing parking brake cables and pulled old cables from the rear. Problem we encountered was that the long tubes down the center were filled with crud since the rubber seals were gone. We sprayed lots of PB Blaster and worked the cable back and forth until it came out. You pretty much need two people if the cable is really stuck. One went pretty good, the other took a while. Important to clean that tube out since you have to go back in with the new cables. Added lots and lots of grease in with the new cables so they slid through the tubes well. Added thick plug of grease to cover the hole to prevent more crud from getting in (I didn't have the new rubber seals to replace when we did the job). Hooked them up and did adjustment with tires on, bus jacked up - after adjusting shoes first. Good luck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Schmooey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently did this on my 71. The collar is part of the cable housing and is quite sturdy. A small section of it slides inside the metal tubing on the frame. Try soaking it with penetrating oil and twist it with visegrips or channelocks while tugging on the black cable housing the protrudes from it. It should pop right out. I wouldn't use a propane torch that close to the tank. Be sure to grease the new parts.
delux68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=108468
I might just cut the tube and use a piece of rubber hose to connect the cut of piece to the main tube. here is a pic of the collar in question and the new cable. copy and paste or go the the gallery
thanks janey
Schmooey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can see the thumbnail, but not the full sized pic.
jeb1978
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same issue right now (I think, but the thumnails are too small to see).

This is the driver's side rear brake backing plate from my '69 Westy. I had to cut the parking brake cable just to the left of the tube sticking out in order to get the backing plate off the axle, and now I can't get the leftovers of the cable out (the tube in the red circle).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I haven't figured out how to remove the leftover tube. It seems to be permanently rusted to the collar in the backing plate. I've been able to turn the tube with a pair of vice grips, but both pieces turn at the same time. I was able to remove this same piece from my passenger side backing plate, but it pulled out the collar at the same time.

This is the good side (replacement part for the passenger side) showing how the cable fits into the backing plate. The red line is where I cut the cable at.

Any other hints?
Schmooey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd try drilling it with successively larger bits until there's very little metal remaining. Tedious, but would protect the backing plate.
delux68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont know why the pic is not showing up, the place where i am having the problem is the end of the tube that runs along the underside of the bus
a piece was stuck in my backing plate also and i used a screwdriver and a hammer to get it out
jeb1978
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I had the same problem on my '69 Westy with the emergency brake cable being stuck in the tube. I ended up heating it with a propane torch, and it gave way pretty quickly after that with a good tug.

What the collar and other associated emergency brake cable fittings looked like confused me until I got the new parts. The red end is what fits into the tube on the chassis; the blue end fits into the tube on the brake backing plate. Both of my old cables were so rusty I couldn't figure out how it was supposed to work. And they were both rusted on so badly I was convinced that they were both threaded or bolted on somewhere.

Two other questions on emergency brake cables...

First question: My replacement cables had this collar (circled in red) about 18" from the threaded end of the cable. It is clamped directly to the cable and cannot be moved or removed. The old ones didn't have this. It caused me some grief since the tube on the chassis had a bend/divot (circled in yellow) that wouldn't let the collar past. I was able to straighten the tube with a large phillips screwdriver, but I still don't know the function of this part. It looks to be a very close fit to the ID of the chassis tube, and it did a good job of cleaning all the old grease and gunk out when pushing it through. Is this a feature of the replacement parts (I used 211-609-701P)?

Second question: Where do you get the seals for the end of the chassis tube near the front? The ones that were on my bus were gone except for a few pieces rusted to the tube. I don't recall ever seeing them in any catalog or website I've looked at.
Schmooey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That swaged-on collar is meant to fit into a 6" bracket that connects the two cables between the brake lever and the chassis tubes. It holds the two cables parallel to the center line of the bus and just floats there as a link between the two cables. From there the cables branch out to the chassis tubes.You may find your cables are a bit long without this part.
I bought a pair of cables with the same 701P part number, and one did not have the fitting while the other did. I ended up re-using my best old one until I can get time to find a new one.

Apparently some buses don't have the little bracket at all.
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bartoli wrote:

Where do you get the seals for the end of the chassis tube near the front?

I slather on a big plug o' grease at the missing-seal end. Cram it in the tube, over the cable end, has worked like a charm for years now. Very little environmental effects down there, maybe a little road splash, the grease stays put pretty well.
Colin
BumbleBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dealing with the exact same issues as in this thread so revived it. Hope that's okay. Drivers side sheath that I can't get out like above (will see if I can scrounge up a propane torch Shocked )...

Passenger side is free and clear now (sorry for blurriness)...

Re-installed to the hand brake lever...

BUT... and I'm the first to admit I'm not the brightest bulb in the shed... but there is no way the threaded end is going to fit through the inner diameter of this tube (which is free and clear of all gunk by the looks of it). Since neither end of my replacement cables seems to screw on or off the cable itself to make one end "thin" WTF am I missing here? There is nothing in the Bentley/Muir/online about this so I can only conclude I'm an idiot and missing something dead simple here. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You still haven't gotten all of the old cable flex ends out of the tube, have a look at the front of the tube, the rear end and the hole in the backing plate should look the same.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
BumbleBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
the rear end and the hole in the backing plate should look the same.

Laughing Well blow me down... thanks for the info BD! Visually there is no way to tell at this point it's so rusted. Coulda sworn I'd gotten all the old bits out. What's left in there is part of the tube at this point so it looks like out come the drill bits and dremel tools to open'r up to the original ID. Just when I get ready to give up on this resto I realize that what's taking me a week or more to fix/repair will get me another 37yrs of service so that keeps me going. Sometimes though I swear... Rolling Eyes Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: