Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trailing arms reverse thread?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tundrawolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Trailing arms reverse thread? Reply with quote

Hello,

I am switching to dual spring plates, and I am trying to take my trailing arms off. I bought the 17MM tool because I didn't think the bolt would work, and I was right. But now I am wondering if I am going the wrong way. I am using a 3/8" drive Craftsman wrench and I feel like I am almost going to its breaking point.

I am working on the drivers side and I am going counter clockwise. Are they reverse thread or are they just really really difficult?
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably just really difficult, specially if they've never been out. They are both normal thread, (righty-tighty, lefty-loosey). Use some heat, PB Blaster, and a good solid wack with a hammer straight down on the head to break the rust bond.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use a 1/2 inch breaker bar, and slip a pipe over the end if needed for extra leverage. Wear safety glasses.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bolt has some axial grooves in its head to allow you to peen the area around the bolt head into the groove to lock the bolt in place.
If you can relieve this with a pointed punch, it will simplify removing the bolt.
Photo:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Keep track of how the washers are located for re-assembly.
Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Trailing arms reverse thread? Reply with quote

tundrawolf wrote:
I am switching to dual spring plates,

Better yet, leave the original spring plates where they are. There's no need for dual spring plates.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vw_hank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: Trailing arms reverse thread? Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
tundrawolf wrote:
I am switching to dual spring plates,

Better yet, leave the original spring plates where they are. There's no need for dual spring plates.
That's what I was thinking,, Why dual spring plates?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: