Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Suggestions for removing graffiti/saving OG
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rob_lewis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Suggestions for removing graffiti/saving OG Reply with quote

Well, I recently brought this beauty home Rolling Eyes :
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Although it LOOKS really bad, turns out it mainly spray paint. From what I can tell, there's still quite a bit of the OG paint underneath.

I was wondering if anybody had suggestions for a way to remove the spray paint and bring the OG back. I have a game plan, but have never dealt with the OG paint. If I can't, NBD, but wanted to try. (I'll probably eventually repaint, but hoped to just get it running and look OK for now.)

The Plan:
1) Hand sand with 600 to see how much it takes off.
2) If it doesn't come off, start going down in grit until I get to 100.
3) If 100 doesn't take it off, lay a very thin layer of paint remover (the orange based stuff) for short time periods to see if I can get it off. Increasing the time to see if I can just remove the spray and not touch the OG. (Yes, I'll neutralize afterwards).

Anything wrong with the plan? Anybody have another suggestion?

Thanks.
-Rob
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please stop what your thinking and go to the split bus forum and search. There are several threads dealing with this very issue. Here's a basic start. Get $10, go to the 99cent store and buy a bunch of cans of EZ off oven cleaner and scrub pads like scotch brite or finer. Get the bus good and toasty out in the sun and spray some cleaner on, let set and keep test scrubbing. You'll know when it's time to start scrubbing with some testing. Go to town on the full bus. Post pics, we love the in action shots.
SBS #00
ronnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That bus looks like it'll have some nice patina when it's all cleaned up, the green on the roof is sweet. easy off can definetly work some miricals, but i'm not sure i'd use it in that situation with so much og pain exposed already, it can and will take og paint off as well. as mentioned above there is tons of info in the split bus forums on different products, i'd start with whatever seems the most mild.

if it's pretty straight you may not want to paint it anymore once you get the funk off and buff out that og paint.
rob_lewis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NAES wrote:
Please stop what your thinking and go to the split bus forum and search. There are several threads dealing with this very issue.

Well, first of all, I DID search in the Split forum for: "restore OG" and "restore Original Paint" and found no posts with ideas. Couldn't think of a better search term to use. (BTW, I didn't use quotes, just the words).

Second, I assumed I'd get busted for asking a paint/body question on the Split forum instead of the Body/Paint forum.

I'm happy to search for it (and will try oven off as a term), but I need to know what keywords I'm looking for.

Update: Found the posts! Searching for Oven had them right at the top.

Thanks.
-Rob
bk63rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its good to se its geting a new home Smile I wonder if a good steam cleaner/presure washer could get some of that off .You may be able to rent one or take it to a place with one.I like that green color.
bmtx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

100 grit? That would take it all off. If use a wet 600-800, it might take it off but be careful to only sand on what you want off and take your time. It will take a lot of sanding but don't go any further than 600 wet. Finish with a higher grit or leave it dull. Work your way up the grit until tou get the shine desired, somewhere around 3000 will be a antiuqed looking shine.Or buff it. You can use a D.A. sander with the higher grits(a local jobber should have it). Just be careful not to sand off all the paint.
rob_lewis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bk63rag wrote:
Its good to se its geting a new home Smile I wonder if a good steam cleaner/presure washer could get some of that off .You may be able to rent one or take it to a place with one.I like that green color.

Well, the wife offered to do all the bodywork/paint if she could pick the color. I must admit I was concerned since I wanted to stay original, but they again, you can't pass up free labor....

The first time she saw that pic she said, "If that's the original green under there, we're keeping it those colors. Green and white."

It's nice to have a wife that can look at a pic like that and see the beauty underneath!!

-Rob
bmtx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats cool. When I was dating my wife about 7 years ago, I got a 67 bug and she helped rip out the interior and strip off the old finish. When I looked up and saw I had a hot looking girl covered in dust with a respirator on, I knew I had to marry her. Laughing
Naked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try some "Acetone". Get some latex gloves and some decent disposable shop rags. It should take off most of the rattle can paint. Acetone is about $8 a gallon.

68' Vert
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laquer thinner!!! Been there done that. works wonders on spray paint, takes a long time to soften cured auto paint, if it does at all. I'm surprised that bus has any glass left in it!
Foxx
Uncle Meat

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NAES wrote:
Please stop what your thinking and go to the split bus forum and search. There are several threads dealing with this very issue. Here's a basic start. Get $10, go to the 99cent store and buy a bunch of cans of EZ off oven cleaner and scrub pads like scotch brite or finer. Get the bus good and toasty out in the sun and spray some cleaner on, let set and keep test scrubbing. You'll know when it's time to start scrubbing with some testing. Go to town on the full bus. Post pics, we love the in action shots.

it's a body&paint question and will stand.

Sarcasm is the body's natural defense against stupidity. i seem to use a lot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the gods have spoken.

and i'm really sorry for acting like a : insert name here :
and i will leave the passing of judgement for the moderators.
Laughing
SBS #00
rob_lewis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NAES wrote:
And the gods have spoken.

Looks like a pointless excercise since it's going to get a respray anyway. Rolling Eyes

Look, I don't know what I did to really peeve you off......

1) I ask how to get paint off IN the body forum and you tell me to go to another forum.
2) The above quote. Let's see, ask asked in my post AND the title of my post how to get off the spray paint and restore the OG.

I know I'm new here, so maybe it's just initiation to crap on new members, or maybe I've pissed on you in another life, but I don't appreciate the crappy responses.

-Rob
Led Zeppelin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chill out peeps.
Foxx
Uncle Meat

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,.it doesn't matter what you did to pee him off,.
it only matters if you pee the Administrators,the other moderators or me off. Wink
it was a valid body&paint question and it still stands.
please continue.

Sarcasm is the body's natural defense against stupidity. i seem to use a lot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, obviously my original response to your question was interpreted as hostile.
My saying "please stop what your thinking" was a direct response to your idea of using 600 or 100 grit sandpaper and was only meant to help you rethink your options.
The second part about going to the split bus forum was because there is a bunch of info there, not because I ever thought you were in the wrong forum.
The rest was some quick ways to get you going.

After rereading what you posted about your wife restoring the OG paint I realize I had read it as getting resprayed.

I apologize for that.

I'm not trying to jump on you so if you took it that way, sorry.

I did exactly what your going to doto your bus on my bus and was only trying to save you from mistakes early on. My bad on the poor communication.
SBS #00
rob_lewis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NAES wrote:
Rob, obviously my original response to your question was interpreted as hostile.
My saying "please stop what your thinking" was a direct response to your idea of using 600 or 100 grit sandpaper and was only meant to help you rethink your options.
The second part about going to the split bus forum was because there is a bunch of info there, not because I ever thought you were in the wrong forum.
The rest was some quick ways to get you going.

After rereading what you posted about your wife restoring the OG paint I realize I had read it as getting resprayed.

I apologize for that.

I'm not trying to jump on you so if you took it that way, sorry.

I did exactly what your going to doto your bus on my bus and was only trying to save you from mistakes early on. My bad on the poor communication.

No problem. Sorry I jumped on it, too. It had just been a bad week.

Bought some EZ off for the bus. However, I need to get the rear end rolling (the drums/reduction boxes, haven't figured out which) are frozen right now. I don't want to start on the paint until I can get it into the driveway and open air.

I DID take a little fingernail polish remover on the very beat up rear hatch (it's sooo bad, it'll need a respray, regardless) just to see what would happen. Took the graffiti right off and saved the OG. So, at least I know that's another option.

BTW, I noticed that the Velvet Green is showing under the white paint in several places (like the roof and sections around the windows). Obviously, saving the white would be best, but we might just see if we can remove the top layer and have an all Velvet Green deluxe for now. Won't know until we can get it into the open air and get to work on it.

Thanks, BTW, for everyone's response and again, sorry for the angry one... Embarassed I would edit it, but it would make the other posts look silly.

-Rob
Kommercial
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your going to try and save the og paint, then 'save it all' meaning dont talk about things like repainting the rear hatch cause its 'too far gone'. Strip the spray paint off and leave it how it is. It will match the bus no matter what and give it the right look. Repainting the hatch will not.
Same goes for the roof, some green fade thru is awesome! My advice to you is: just strip it back to og then stop, regardless of how it looks. Take pics, post em up, drive it around, 'sleep on it'. Youll thank me later =)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: