Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

4 tab hood fitment
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jammer729
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:17 pm    Post subject: 4 tab hood fitment Reply with quote

Guys,
I recently had my 57 bug restored. Well needless to say nothing on this thing lines up. Well anyway I learned my lesson and now need to tackle this thing one piece at a time. 1st is the hood. It has a nice 4 tab hood however it doesn't fit right. It's flat on the top and bulged up on the 2 top corners. I noticed the brace on the inside is separated from the hood? Is this how it is suppose to be?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I took a ratchet strap and put it around the hood and squeezed it together a little and the gap still didn't touch the hood but the hood looked to fir way better. Any ideas on how to fix this issue? Spot weld? The bug is getting repainted anyway. I just need to get everything lined up 1st.

splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 tab hood fitment Reply with quote

That is not a '57 hood. It is a '59 - mid '63 hood which is why the center brace is not attached to the main part of the hood.

Post pictures of how the hood fits for better advice on how to get it fitting correctly.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
jammer729
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 tab hood fitment Reply with quote

Yeah I didn’t know if it was a 57 hood or not. I just told the guy I wanted a 4 tab hood. So is that cross bar on the inside supposed to have a gap??
Here are pics of what I need to correct.

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 tab hood fitment Reply with quote

Loosen the hinge bolts at the hood and push it where you want it Togo. Then tighten it. Repeat till acceptable.

Getting everything perfect would be done before paint.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
jammer729
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 tab hood fitment Reply with quote

I had already tried adjusting it that way. I can’t get the sides to come down. The only way I can get the hood to form with the body is to strap the hood.
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 tab hood fitment Reply with quote

Show us some pictures of the hood hinges. Good thing you got that car away from the previous painter. Looks like he was painting in the dark, in the middle of a patch of dandelion weeds. Damn.... Shocked
If the hinges are kinked, it can raise the hood like your pictures are showing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jammer729
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 tab hood fitment Reply with quote

Here is a pic of the hinge. They look fine no kinks.

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 tab hood fitment Reply with quote

Why are there springs on the hinges?

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
jammer729
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: 4 tab hood fitment Reply with quote

I didn’t want to use the original kick stand. Here in Oregon your not allowed to pump your own gas and I could just see someone not knowing push the hood down and wrecking it. I do have the original hinges so I could go back but they matched up so shouldn’t matter. I did disconnect the springs and it didn’t make any difference the way the hood sat.
It just seems odd that if I squish the hood together with the ratchet strap only about a half an inch it fits pretty darn good.
It’s almost as it the hood sat on the ground for many years and it relaxed to that position?
Well whatever it was I really need to find a way to fix it. Could you possibly cut a slit in the center brace, squeeze the hood together and weld it?? Don’t know just a thought.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: 4 tab hood fitment Reply with quote

Have you loosened the hinge bolts just a bit and closed the hood? This will allow you to shift the hood around and push down over the hinge area to see if you can get things more in alignment. I suspect you have a combination of poor alignment of the hinges and a partially tweaked hood.

jammer729
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: 4 tab hood fitment Reply with quote

Yeah I have tried that a few times.
Seems to be a tweaked hood.
Any idea how to fix a tweaked hood?
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: 4 tab hood fitment Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
Have you loosened the hinge bolts just a bit and closed the hood? This will allow you to shift the hood around and push down over the hinge area to see if you can get things more in alignment. I suspect you have a combination of poor alignment of the hinges and a partially tweaked hood.

Along these lines, loosen the bolts for the hinges AND remove the hood latch. Now fit the hood to the body and see how things line up. A mis-aligned or pushed in front apron can also cause these kind of fitment problems, and it doesn't take much to make a big difference. If the car was hit in the hood it can push the apron back at the hood latch without appearing to damage the apron.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: 4 tab hood fitment Reply with quote

You can cut a hood up anyway you want to and weld it back together. You need to be methodical and patient. Welding it too fast will warp it!

Really feel like something is bent. I have seen the hood pivot points bent from a front collision and cause your exact situation. It changes the shape of the hood.

Good luck and remember to weld s l o w.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 tab hood fitment Reply with quote

The fact that this car has a later hood on it would make it probably that it had a front end collision at some point. It could have been minor or major or somewhere in between.

TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 tab hood fitment Reply with quote

jammer729 wrote:
I didn’t want to use the original kick stand. Here in Oregon your not allowed to pump your own gas and I could just see someone not knowing push the hood down and wrecking it. I do have the original hinges so I could go back but they matched up so shouldn’t matter. I did disconnect the springs and it didn’t make any difference the way the hood sat.
It just seems odd that if I squish the hood together with the ratchet strap only about a half an inch it fits pretty darn good.
It’s almost as it the hood sat on the ground for many years and it relaxed to that position?
Well whatever it was I really need to find a way to fix it. Could you possibly cut a slit in the center brace, squeeze the hood together and weld it?? Don’t know just a thought.

I would totally do the same thing to my hood hinges. I was in Oregon recently and cringed at the idea of an attendant touching my VW's! I had a similar problem on my 4 tab hood. Too flat in the center, high on the sides. It was indeed shaped like someone put weight on it when it was hanging out in a shop where I got it.

I layered towels on the cowel between the wiper shafts. Then a put a 2x4 on top and then more towels. Next, I shut the hood gently and massaged the center of the hood to regain the curve. This will probably tweak the cowel down a tad. You will have to tweak it back up (shouldn't take much force). You could probably try this off of the car too, but having it bolted to the hinges lets you see where you are at without bending it too far. Took about 15 minutes and my hood fit sooooo much better.

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: 4 tab hood fitment Reply with quote

surely (in oregon) you are allowed to open the bonnet so the attendant can pump gas and close it for them after? otherwise just stand back and watch them look for the filler flap!

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: 4 tab hood fitment Reply with quote

YES, in NJ also, one doesn't pump their own gasoline - I used to open my own hood and close it after the attendant was done, on my '50 standard - after you've been to the same station, a few times, they know you and expect you'll get out to open and close, yourself - that's not breaking the law...

… i'd put that '63 spring loaded hood in my stash and get a period correct 4 tab hood with prop - just keep a look-out for one and when you see one - BUY IT, while you have the chance - they stopped making them and are not easier to find - get one, while the gettin' is good.

I had a 3 post front hood on my '54 - just used the hood with NO spring hinges - and for an emblem, I fabricated a solid type of emblem (that's a 4 tab with a cut-out round piece of aluminum, behind and 4 tabs bent-over the round pc of aluminum and taped in place) and used double-stick tape to apply it... - is okay to go earlier is my motto - I think, that looks awesome

Get rid of those silly spring-hinges..

Here's a 1961 hood, with fabricated emblem on my old '60 Euro with prop nd correct (none-spring hinges)

a solid emblem on a 3-post 1963 hood, with original hinges and prop

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 tab hood fitment Reply with quote

Bend it with your hand, how I do it. Do it slow, it bends easier than you think. If there’s filler it may crack.
jammer729
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 tab hood fitment Reply with quote

Well guys I finally got it. I noticed the rod in the spring was locking up. I don’t think the bottom mount was located in the correct spot. So I swapped out hinges and still wasn’t quite perfect so I strapped the hood and over bent it a little at a time and it sits pretty darn nice. I did end up with a few dimples on the top surface but nothing that worries me to much since it needs to be painted again. Now I need to get a hood prop.

So next will be the rear deck lid. I will get pics and create another post for that.

Thanks guys

Any of you guys near Portland? Would be nice to get to know some vw guys nearby.
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 tab hood fitment Reply with quote

I am in SW Portland. I have a 56 bug in pieces.
Kick your painter in the nuts for not preassembling that car before paint.
No comment on the splatter paint/undercoating on the bottom side of the hood, since I don't know whose idea that was. Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: