Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW dealers in Oregon during the 50's
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:38 am    Post subject: VW dealers in Oregon during the 50's Reply with quote

were there any vw dealers in oregon during the 50's; if not what would be the closest to say medford, or?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AndrewM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my buses came from "Mid Motors" vw dealership in Bend Oregon in 1960. That's about all I know about it. I don't know if the place was a VW only dealership or an Import car dealership. Judging from the key chain that was on the keys, it was a vw dealership.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westy78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was Riviera Motors in Beaverton OR. Don't know if they were there in the 50's though. That is where the Riviera VW camper originated. http://type2.com/library/camper/riviera.htm

VW Campmobile, it goes on vacation with you.
Kommercial
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winter Motors is where my 58 binz came from. Located in pendleton Oregon.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kavikhahn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to say Winter Motors in Pendleton. That's where I grew up and I sure would like to have a license plate frame from them.....
Kommercial
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kavikhahn wrote:
I was going to say Winter Motors in Pendleton. That's where I grew up and I sure would like to have a license plate frame from them.....

Ive only seen one for sale ever, and i bought it. There is a guy on here who claims to have 2 or 3 of em. Damn whoarders.

There was a dealer in Medford named "Morse motors" but i dont know if it was there in the 50's or not. 60s for sure tho. There was over 12 dealers in oregon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bernie Bishop VW started in Brookings, OR, (extreme southwest part of the state) in 1959. They changed to Mazda dealership in the late 80's/early 90's, and have no parts hidden in the rafters, or stored in the attic (ask me how I know)

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was also Stone's Volkswagen in Klamath Falls during the '50s, '60s and maybe part of the '70s, not entirely sure on that...I could go to the UO's library and look it up in their collection of vintage phone books Very Happy I know I've heard tons of stories (torture stories, lol) from my Dad about being able to go into the dealership and see brand new VWs on the showroom floor. On top of that he used to borrow a neighbor's black '62 or '63 to take my mom out on dates...them's were the days! Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a '58 that came with all the booklets from "Morse Motors" of Medford. Also with that was a booklet from "Gilbert and Seibel" of Vancouver, Wa. Must have been the original dealership, then moved south.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DaveM
Mad Samba Scientist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kommercial wrote:
kavikhahn wrote:

Ive only seen one for sale ever, and i bought it. There is a guy on here who claims to have 2 or 3 of em. Damn whoarders.

I have three Winters Motor frames... they are all different. Lind has a near perfect one.

Hey Wade, the item I think is most cool on your binz is the original Pendleton Round-Up bumper sticker...
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a weissenburger (sp) plate laying around somewhere that came of of a friends original '68. She was from Portland.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kommercial
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveM wrote:
I have three Winters Motor frames... they are all different

Bingo Laughing
Actually i would like pics of the 3 different ones you have for my Dealer registry I've been working on. When i get it done you will be able to find out as much known info as there is about each dealer you click on, listed by state and city, like plate frames, decals, badges, store front photos, paperwork, info, etc. That goes for anyone else interested in helping me with my current project (Thanks to all those who have helped so far!!) Please send me any pics related to dealer stuff, especially plate frames, to [email protected]

quote-Lind has a near perfect one.

Yah i bought the one he had.

quote-Hey Wade, the item I think is most cool on your binz is the original Pendleton Round-Up bumper sticker.

There was one on the rear gate as well and the rear bumper!, but the gate one was completely white because all the color was eaten by the sun so i pulled it off, and their is only very minute traces of the rear bumper one left.
Thornton
EMPI Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
Bernie Bishop VW started in Brookings, OR, (extreme southwest part of the state) in 1959. They changed to Mazda dealership in the late 80's/early 90's, and have no parts hidden in the rafters, or stored in the attic (ask me how I know)

Thats funny you say that
because the VW dealer in corvallis was checked and a set of 4 NOS empi 5 spokes was hidden in the attic. but thats all that was there Very Happy
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My '62 Westfalia salesflap has the UP import code and was distributed through Rivera.
Does anyone have a listing of which dealers Riviera motor (distributor) suppled to around '62?
I figured maybe I could take a tour to some of these dealerships to see if anyone remembered the bus, who bought it and for what application.
It would have been a special order bus so while chances are slim that anyone would remember who bought it, these chances would be a hell of alot better than remembering who bought some run of the mill 23 window or doubledoor panel.
Empicollector
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riviera Motors was the Distributor for: Oregon, Washington,Idaho,
Montana and Alaska----a total of 62 dealerships----Bill
ronnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugnut68 wrote:
There was also Stone's Volkswagen in Klamath Falls

i'd be interested in a plate frame from stone's if anyone has one.

there was jack and cee motors in eugene(also want that plate frame!) where my 57 deluxe was sold, and also 5 star in coos bay.

they were doing a major remodel on the photograpy place where jack and cee used to be a few years ago and the volkswagen signs were still there under the siding.
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember that! I knew it wasn't a hallucination...Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dubllyou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ronnie wrote:

there was jack and cee motors in eugene(also want that plate frame!) where my 57 deluxe was sold, and also 5 star in coos bay.

they were doing a major remodel on the photograpy place where jack and cee used to be a few years ago and the volkswagen signs were still there under the siding.

I work in the building that was Jack & Cee Motors. From the research I've done, it was the second VW dealer in Oregon with Riviera in Beaverton being the first (obviously). Jack & Cee started advertising new VW's for sale early in 1954. I'm compiling a short history of the lot in general, since it's been a used car lot since when the Ford dealer was selling used Model T's here.... quite awhile ago. I have a pic of the building with the siding off showing the VW logo to post as soon as I scan it.

( I know it's an old thread )

Wade

vwo60 wrote:
You cannot polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dubllyou wrote:
ronnie wrote:

I work in the building that was Jack & Cee Motors. From the research I've done, it was the second VW dealer in Oregon with Riviera in Beaverton being the first (obviously). Jack & Cee started advertising new VW's for sale early in 1954. I'm compiling a short history of the lot in general, since it's been a used car lot since when the Ford dealer was selling used Model T's here.... quite awhile ago. I have a pic of the building with the siding off showing the VW logo to post as soon as I scan it.

( I know it's an old thread )

I wonder if anyone got the sign, or if it just got trashed?
dubllyou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was painted on the building....still is, under the current siding. There was also a VW logo painted on a wall extension on the street-side of the showroom. There may not have been a physical sign on a pole or anything like that.

Here's a picture we have hanging in our store of the showroom as it looked in the mid '50s. Sorry for the reflection

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I believe this was right around '54 or possibly '55. It would have been right after the showroom was added on. The picture is 20"x30" on our wall and you can see that they are oval window cars with no turn signals on the front fenders and extra striker plates on the doors. From what I know, I think the main part of the building was built around an existing small sales office and one-stall shop in late '53 in preparation for becoming a VW dealership. I know the showroom was an add-on because what used to be an exterior end-wall also has VOLKSWAGEN in big letters on it. (It's behind the beam on the ceiling over the bug on the right)

The pic I still need to scan was taken during a re-model we did to the storefront several years ago.

I'm learning a lot about the history involved with this location from one customer who has been in the used car biz locally since the '30s and another customer who was the service advisor at Jack & Cee in the early '60s.

More to come.... Very Happy

Wade

vwo60 wrote:
You cannot polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: