Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW dealers in Oregon during the 50's
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bladerunner80
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know anything about Modern Motors in The Dalles? I picked this up at a show in Seattle a couple years ago. I lived in The Dalles / Goldendale area from '85 - '96, I had no idea The Dalles had a VW dealer, so I thought it make a nice addition to my 66 bug.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

slaphappytrav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bladerunner80 wrote:
Does anyone know anything about Modern Motors in The Dalles? I picked this up at a show in Seattle a couple years ago. I lived in The Dalles / Goldendale area from '85 - '96, I had no idea The Dalles had a VW dealer, so I thought it make a nice addition to my 66 bug.

I don't know anything about the dealership but that's a good looking plate!

Since it's still got some paint on it and looks good you might send Everett a message and have him add it here...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/dealers/modernmotors_thedalles_or.php

There were already two frames listed under the Coos Bay dealer page, but Everett added mine because of the condition..
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slaphappytrav wrote:
bugnut68 wrote:
slaphappytrav wrote:
Hopefully this is okay to post here as information seems to be pretty scarce as far as old Oregon VWs.

I live in Arkansas, and I just purchased a 1960 Type I locally that I believe came from Oregon.

In cleaning it out I found an old, heavy metal license plate from that reads "Coos Bay Vollstedt" on it. There were quite a few receipts and old registrations in the glove box that are from Oregon as well. The registrations are from Lakeview, OR though which appears to be 6-ish hours from Coos Bay. I also found the original radio warranty tag, but the ink is nearly gone. It appears to read Coos Bay as the town, but can't make out the dealer name.

Anybody know anything of the Coos Bay dealership? I can get/post pics of the frame and tag if anybody is interested.

Oh, man, what a small world. Did you buy that car from a fellow named Dan St. Clair, a pastor/funeral parlor owner in Lakeview? I just moved back to Eugene from there and remember him having a light green car of that era that had "Pacific Wonderland" plates on it. He told me he sold it to a guy working on the Ruby Pipeline project a few years ago from back in your area.

It's too much of a coincidence to not be the same car... after all, we know how small Lakeview is. Smile

Boy am I glad I decided to post here! Dan St. Clair is the previous owner. As a matter of fact I have an old registration and insurance card in his name. How cool is that?!

The gentleman I bought the car from bought it from the pipeliner fellow you mention(which is exactly what I was told.) It's basically still all original too!

It has had a repaint at some point and was involved in a tiny fender bender(by the pipeliner guy) so the front passenger fender was replaced and there is a bit of damage to the trunk lid.

Maybe you recognize it though..

-

-

Small world, that's the same car, all right. I figured it was too much of a coincidence to not be the case.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slaphappytrav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugnut68 wrote:
slaphappytrav wrote:
bugnut68 wrote:
slaphappytrav wrote:
Hopefully this is okay to post here as information seems to be pretty scarce as far as old Oregon VWs.

I live in Arkansas, and I just purchased a 1960 Type I locally that I believe came from Oregon.

In cleaning it out I found an old, heavy metal license plate from that reads "Coos Bay Vollstedt" on it. There were quite a few receipts and old registrations in the glove box that are from Oregon as well. The registrations are from Lakeview, OR though which appears to be 6-ish hours from Coos Bay. I also found the original radio warranty tag, but the ink is nearly gone. It appears to read Coos Bay as the town, but can't make out the dealer name.

Anybody know anything of the Coos Bay dealership? I can get/post pics of the frame and tag if anybody is interested.

Oh, man, what a small world. Did you buy that car from a fellow named Dan St. Clair, a pastor/funeral parlor owner in Lakeview? I just moved back to Eugene from there and remember him having a light green car of that era that had "Pacific Wonderland" plates on it. He told me he sold it to a guy working on the Ruby Pipeline project a few years ago from back in your area.

It's too much of a coincidence to not be the same car... after all, we know how small Lakeview is. Smile

Boy am I glad I decided to post here! Dan St. Clair is the previous owner. As a matter of fact I have an old registration and insurance card in his name. How cool is that?!

The gentleman I bought the car from bought it from the pipeliner fellow you mention(which is exactly what I was told.) It's basically still all original too!

It has had a repaint at some point and was involved in a tiny fender bender(by the pipeliner guy) so the front passenger fender was replaced and there is a bit of damage to the trunk lid.

Maybe you recognize it though..

-

-

Small world, that's the same car, all right. I figured it was too much of a coincidence to not be the case.

That's awesome. I love this car.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: