Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CHT Nirvana (cylinder head temperature) gauge/sender FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens temperature wise if you put the spark plug sealing washer back on the the plug (closer to the plug tip)? That is how I do mine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cardinal0128
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like that's now on my project list for tomorrow. I believe I cut off the crush washer last time I installed a new set of NGK's.

345 is way too hot for idle on a DD, right? Even if I was running way lean at idle? And timing at idle isn't going to cause that much heat, is it?
1965 Jeep CJ-5
2002 Jetta TDI
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems a bit warm to me at idle, but I can't remember the exacts anymore for a stock engine.

Put a spark plug washer on first andd see if that changes anything. It might.

I always set the timing to 28º BTDC when it is all in (~3500 RPMs or so) with no vacuum hoses attached. I don't care where it falls at idle but mine was pretty close to 8º BTDC when it was stock.

My Camper Special runs like crap until the heads warm up to 200º and tooling down the road they hang about 380º or so. 20º if I am pulling my trailer. That is its sweet spot and it will stay there pretty much all day.

Is your fan nice and clean? Engine to body seall all good? Is your "muffler shield" on and good?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cardinal0128
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, just had a new fan installed and bead blasted. Shield on. Tin tight. New foam seal. But I'll have to double-check everthing, obviously.

Will start with timing and the spark plug. Then mixture I guess if necessary.
1965 Jeep CJ-5
2002 Jetta TDI
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had abnormally high temps. We pulled the engine to replace the cam gear because of a knock and pulled the plugs and sender in the process. The sending ring was already elongating from one use. Looking at the plug, the NGK used has a flat shoulder but the crush washers are thicker in the middle and narrow towards the outside with a profile like () but lying down whereas my () is standing up. I think that because the sender is loose enough around the plug, the crush washer not only grabs it but pushes it out, elongating it, allowing it to leak a little. I cut the crush washer off and uses the sender to seal it to the head. Temps dropped about 50F to 75F. I believe it was seeing gasses escape through the threads. On my T1 I drilled it and mounted the sender permanently into the head near the plugs. On the T4 head I could not find a spot I was comfortable drilling that would yield close to the plug temps.

Also - the heat range of a plug is really about how fast it conducts heat away from the tip of the plug. Plugs that run cooler do so by conducting heat away faster - hence a cooler plug will carry a little more heat to the sender than a hotter plug.

I haven't tired Randy's method or perhaps using a pre-flattened crush washer.
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cardinal0128 wrote:
Yes, just had a new fan installed and bead blasted. Shield on. Tin tight. New foam seal. But I'll have to double-check everthing, obviously.

Will start with timing and the spark plug. Then mixture I guess if necessary.

once you confirm that your getting a proper seal with the plug, it will definitely be time to play with the mixture - if you have a way of reading what the mixture is. mark where you start so you can get back there if need-be.

personally I chased my tail on mixture settings, even with the LM-1, until I started doing it with a NOS AFM. I don't know why, but the condition of the new old stock AFM made it much simpler to tune. for me - PIG rich got the temps where the heads were happy, and your mileage will certainly suffer.

Im at the point now where I run two different AFM's/Airboxes. One for normal every day driving, which is setup a little rich but with the factory O2 sensor connected. it's nice and cool but if loaded up with gear and hitting the highway it'll run into the 400*'s pretty easily. The other AFM (the NOS one) I save for highway runs where I know it'll otherwise run hot, and with the O2 sensor disconnected. It's really rich on that one but I can power up hills without downshifting (which it does more happily leaned out from here) and will rarely get into the 400's even loaded to the gills...
cardinal0128
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked my timing and it was 28 with out the vac hose connected. Plug was installed sans crush washer. BUT my plug was loose when i went to check it.

Replaced the spark plug with another one with crush washer (kept the crush washer on the plug side of the ring terminal, not the head side). Rats. Darn thing is still running 380-400 on a cool day on the freeway. Idling a bit cooler now at 333. Still seems high to me. How much is an NOS AFM?

I wish there was an easier way to install a 'cheater' switch in the circuit somehow so with freeway driving and on uphills you could richen up the mixture by some pre-set amount.

I have an aftermarket exhaust... think it makes any sense to tap a bung into it and install an aftermarket mixture gauge? LM1s are expensive anyway.
1965 Jeep CJ-5
2002 Jetta TDI
58deadhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered and installed the Dakota Digital CHT after reading this and also having wasted time and money on a VDO.

It is reading 70s and 80s haven't really driven it much past a few miles at 55-60 and my bug generally runs pretty cool. Wasn't sure if it maybe had something to do with the way I wired it in because my bugs wiring harness is next to be replaced and is pretty ratty. I ask because in the directions it says it won't read accurate below 150 degrees but I should at least be that warm after a few miles and some idling right?
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cardinal0128 wrote:
I checked my timing and it was 28 with out the vac hose connected. Plug was installed sans crush washer. BUT my plug was loose when i went to check it.

Replaced the spark plug with another one with crush washer (kept the crush washer on the plug side of the ring terminal, not the head side). Rats. Darn thing is still running 380-400 on a cool day on the freeway. Idling a bit cooler now at 333. Still seems high to me. How much is an NOS AFM?

I wish there was an easier way to install a 'cheater' switch in the circuit somehow so with freeway driving and on uphills you could richen up the mixture by some pre-set amount.

I have an aftermarket exhaust... think it makes any sense to tap a bung into it and install an aftermarket mixture gauge? LM1s are expensive anyway.

Try this adjustment article to see if it helps. Mark the position you have it at now and go for it.
http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=7761
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

58deadhead wrote:
I ordered and installed the Dakota Digital CHT after reading this and also having wasted time and money on a VDO.

It is reading 70s and 80s haven't really driven it much past a few miles at 55-60 and my bug generally runs pretty cool. Wasn't sure if it maybe had something to do with the way I wired it in because my bugs wiring harness is next to be replaced and is pretty ratty. I ask because in the directions it says it won't read accurate below 150 degrees but I should at least be that warm after a few miles and some idling right?

Wait. Stop. Don't.

Reverse the wire terminals on the engine/sensor side. This will make one wire too long and one wire too short, but do it and drive again. Post your results. No need for extraneous tuning when sometimes Joe the Thermocouple Coupler Man splices incorrectly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
58deadhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
58deadhead wrote:

Wait. Stop. Don't.

Reverse the wire terminals on the engine/sensor side. This will make one wire too long and one wire too short, but do it and drive again. Post your results. No need for extraneous tuning when sometimes Joe the Thermocouple Coupler Man splices incorrectly.

Ah, I shall try that tomorrow after work and report back, thank you.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

58deadhead wrote:
asiab3 wrote:

Ah, I shall try that tomorrow after work and report back, thank you.

The same thing happened to me when I first installed mine. I spent hours on the phone with "tech support" who just walked me through the same basic troubleshooting thats in the instructions. They finally connected me to one of their engineers who was like "reverse the hot junction and heat it up, and if it works we'll replace the sending ring. If it doesn't work we'll replace the whole thing." I just left it in place with one slightly long wire, since I don't like gratuitously removing and installing spark plugs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
58deadhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha that is the worst part of the job!!! Hopefully that is all that is wrong. I really appreciate your input, I will definitely post what happens for others in the same boat.
58deadhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
58deadhead wrote:

Wait. Stop. Don't.

You are a lifesaver! I switched the wires back by the terminal like you said and bam, she was reading practical numbers. Idling with light throttle she eventually kicked up to around 280 just came inside to roll a quick smoke before I went for a pleasant cruise. Thanks again man! Very Happy
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure thing! I'd hate for someone to have to go through what my poor bus did. Several full throttle runs got the gauge up to 70*!! So Joe the Thermocoupler didn't pay attention to yours either; if the wire bunching doesn't bother you then run with it.
58deadhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna leave it. The bad is I am running hot but glad to be aware of it. I have done a number of things to mend it with no luck. Switching back to my 009 distributor tomorrow and getting rid of this Chinese pertronix unit. If this doesn't fix the problem then I can only conclude that I did damage to my heads due to overheating before parking it for the winter or my oil cooler is clogged or faulty. The engine is almost brand new and spitting oil out the front pulley like crazy. I have a breather box and stock pulley on order for that but something is telling me it is due to heat. Lol it is always something, getting mentally prepared to pull the engine and make a new thread..
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

58deadhead wrote:
I'm gonna leave it. The bad is I am running hot but glad to be aware of it.

I chased this one solution at a time for a month. I had done countless desert crossings in 100+ weather, and mmy engine was always happy- cool dipstick, good oil temp and pressure, good power. It came down to this:

amskeptic wrote:

Please note, since we are in a CHT thread, that distortions in the ring terminal can lead to insanely higher readings, because any hot gas leakage is horrendous. Check ring terminal for that stupid stretch where it has to bend to clear the spark plug well. Sometimes you will see that the actual contact area is barely a tenth of a millimeter.
see diagram:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Sure enough, when I pulled my plug and sender out, this was the case.

It would leak air in and make the cylinder lean, and leak combustion gasses out making the gauge read hot. My engine was never in danger at all, and all the timing, jetting, and tuning I had done needed to be reversed. Now I'm back where I started. Temps were 390* on flat ground before, then 310* when I sealed the ring, now they're 350*, essentially where they were before the gauge.
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im piecing together the parts needed for my CHT guage from the 'poor man's Dakota' thread

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=592584&sid=ae96549144a41ec9cfe24211a3616c6c

The motor is not coming out to do the install so I wont be able to do any head modifications or drilling into. I had to make my own ring terminal using a 1/2" one from the FLAPS, I think bending it and fitting it went pretty well. Im using an old head and sparkplug to mock it up and it seams like it seals up nice. My only question is the junction where I will fit the TC wire is relatively large and therefore farther away from the head and ring, will I likely be losing a bit in heat transfer or in the cooling air?

It looks askew in the picture, but is very nicely round and flat, with clearance where it bends up between the sparkplug and head.

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow those are a lot more out of focus than I hoped, but you get the gist

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
58deadhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh, I had thought about that but didn't really pay a whole lot of mind. I am on to the distributor but I am gonna pull that back out tomorrow. I was having that sealing problem with the vdo sender and gauge. When I got this one I was sure to bend it that direction but still had that annoying catch. I had to or thought I had to use the socket to tighten it down. I have always found it habit to hand tighten plugs whenever possible and couldn't seem to. Even against my better judgment, I locked it down with the socket to flatten any potential bends that might of happened. This truly is a pain in the ass to do, I did it at least three times with the VDO trying to sort it out before ruling it a faulty gauge and buying this one. I'll pull it out in the morning and do my best to keep it flat and not catch to hand tighten. I'll let you know how it goes.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 18

Jump to: