Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CHT Nirvana (cylinder head temperature) gauge/sender FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also use those NGK plugs.

I just put the Dakota Digital sender under the spark plug sealing washer and install the plug .......head/plug/DD/NGK.

Done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:

I just put the Dakota Digital sender under the spark plug sealing washer and install the plug ... .

Done.

Concur with Randy - using NGK plugs, and no plug sealing ring I found higher temps and carbon on the plug threads indicating to me that high temp gases were leaking out around the plug threads and temp sender. Using the NGK sealing ring, and the temp sender together stopped the leakage. Just have to be careful not to oval the sender.

plug
sealing ring
temp sender
Head
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a mistake in my earlier post about hooking the dimmer wire up the the instrument panel light fuse. I should have said to attach the piggyback connector to the actual terminal on the headlight switch that controls the instrument lights. I'll edit it now, I'm sorry if you already hooked up the wires (wrong)!

Please disconnect your battery before working deep in the switch wiring.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brainwash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
I made a mistake in my earlier post about hooking the dimmer wire up the the instrument panel light fuse. I should have said to attach the piggyback connector to the actual terminal on the headlight switch that controls the instrument lights. I'll edit it now, I'm sorry if you already hooked up the wires (wrong)!

No worries, haven't gotten to it yet.
Thanks for the wiring instructions! I'd never seen the piggyback connectors before but just ordered a set off of ebay.
brainwash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
I just put the Dakota Digital sender under the spark plug sealing washer and install the plug

SGKent wrote:

Concur with Randy - using NGK plugs, and no plug sealing ring I found higher temps and carbon on the plug threads indicating to me that high temp gases were leaking out around the plug threads and temp sender. Using the NGK sealing ring, and the temp sender together stopped the leakage. Just have to be careful not to oval the sender.

plug
sealing ring
temp sender
Head

I couldn't get the crush washer off of the plug to sandwich the sender between it and the plug. How'd you guys manage to remove it? Did you cut the sender ring?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brainwash wrote:
Randy in Maine wrote:
I just put the Dakota Digital sender under the spark plug sealing washer and install the plug

SGKent wrote:

plug
sealing ring
temp sender
Head

I couldn't get the crush washer off of the plug to sandwich the sender between it and the plug. How'd you guys manage to remove it? Did you cut the sender ring?

"Under" is relative. Neither of them took the washer off. I did once as an experiment before I learned that the depth of my plug wells were really the problem. Just slide the sender onto a new plug and seat the thing, keeping the sender terminal in one of the slits (if you have them) so it doesn't bind on the socket. T4s don't have the binding-well issue.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PITApan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil temp sensor location Reply with quote

pagjac wrote:
Hi,
I read with great interest your posting on oil temp sender location. I want to tackle the job of installing the sender in the correct location you mentioned and I quote: "...the best place to mount one is right before the oil pump using the oil gallery plug behind the oil pickup tube".
Could you explain more on how to do that? Maybe by posting an image of the location on the engine with some instructions on how to remove the plug and if the tapping of the hole is at all possible without removing the engine?

Thanks in advance

Jacques Pagé 1981 aircooled RIVIERA

I did some investigations of oil ttemps on a different air cooled engine over the last year. I put one "sender" in the oil pan, One in the exhaust side pushrod tube (hottest oil in the motor) and one down the dipstick hole. The one in the PR tube was a thermistor hooked to a VDO oil temp gauge. The other two were type K bead thermocouples read with a Fluke thermocouple thermometer.

I found the PR tube sensor lead during large temp changes, like when starting. But pretty soon the others caught up (<5 minutes) and all read the same. The only advantage of the PR tube sensor was that it showed big fluctuations rapidly----not very useful nfo compared to max temps.

So my conclusion was that it really didn't make a hoot bit of difference where you read from.

I have an oil pressure gauge on the same motor. The oil temps and pressures folowed each other closely (dino Castrol 20/50 4T). So the two gauges were redundant except for collecting the initial data. In the bus I will be running an oil pressure gauge and a CHT gauge. I'm betting the oil temps will be following the CHT and I can check it with a dipstick probe. The pressure will reveal not only something about temp but also low oil and leaks.

If I were going to fit a temp sender of the thermistor type, I'd put it in the inspection plate (I don't off road) and I'd do a flush mount in the inspection plate if I did off-road.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

engine temps
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about installing the ring terminal under one of the head stud nuts/washers for #3 cylinder? The temps might read differently but what you really need is the trend more than the actual numbers anyway.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drakonis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
engine temps
so i got locked out of my original post. why i dont know. its not a general problem. Its my current problem that im trying to get answers from. well what ever. Ill consult somewhere else then. If i get locked out of my own post. not cool.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't take it personally. Tcash is just trying to keep things tidy on the samba. He's grouping your thread with another similar one.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easier to get you more information based on a long discussion that has some info that is extremely related to what you're looking for.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PITApan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
What about installing the ring terminal under one of the head stud nuts/washers for #3 cylinder? The temps might read differently but what you really need is the trend more than the actual numbers anyway.

You also want response speed.

Not people are asking about absolute readings they re seeing, not trends.

Installing under the nut may have torque problems. I don't think there is a good solution engine-in short of the factory sender or a home made one that fits in that hole.

Engine-out people have mentioned number of solutions involving screwing the sensor to the fins or head.

I can't imagine dicking around with an under plug sender. I'd get the tin off and install directly to the head.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also keep in mind that there really is not a lot of CHT information available for a Type 1 engine, most is for us Type 4 guys that have more of a history of dropping valve seats.

Colin has done some tracking of his 1970 "Cloey bus" CHTs as he drives it all over. Been here?

http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9835

Last edited by Randy in Maine on Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd get the tin off and install directly to the head

I had an engine built back in about 1979 for my bus and the builder placed the sender under one of the head stud nuts. Seemed to work fine and wasn't a problem during spark plug changes.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drakonis wrote:
Tcash wrote:
engine temps
so i got locked out of my original post. why i dont know. its not a general problem. Its my current problem that im trying to get answers from. well what ever. Ill consult somewhere else then. If i get locked out of my own post. not cool.

I hear you loud and clear. Maybe try the "engine and Preformace" forum, there are different cops, oh I mean monitors there maybe you won't get locked.

These days I wonder why even start a thread on Thesamba in the Bay window forum when Tcash and Brian lock them. If there is enough room to store a gizillion pics why isn't there room threads that may touch on the same information. But yet they'll let someone like PITApan disrespect a 100 people before they lock his threads. This forum is over managed.

Tcash I do think you do great things here but locking his thread was not right. Just posting the link to the CHT Nirvana would have been enough. He is new here and really into his ACVW, I researched him, and now he may never return.

Maybe all the threads should be locked except the ones you feel people should use. For instance if you have temp questions you guys should create a temp only sticky and stickys for all possible questions so no threads can be created.

I road trip a lot (as you should know) and post threads on this forum because I drive a bay. Would you guys pefer I used the "events and camping" forum?

Rant over but still feel locking all these threads is BS!

Rich P.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build

Last edited by richparker on Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
drakonis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not taking it personally. just a bit frustrated of course. so i think i have it figured out. lack of correct cooling tins ie. hoover bit, deflector tins inside cylinder tins these: http://www.awesomepowdercoat.com/cylinder_air_vanes.html cooling flaps wired open w/out t stat. so im getting this also: http://www.awesomepowdercoat.com/thermostat_flaps.html new flaps and tstat. and then of course these...: http://vwparts.aircooled.net/CB-Performance-Dual-I...p;CartID=1 among a few other parts to make it complete. the wifes gonna crap when she sees how much i spend. lol.
drakonis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the bit of support rich. much appreciated.
PITApan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drakonis wrote:
Im not taking it personally. just a bit frustrated of course. so i think i have it figured out. lack of correct cooling tins ie. hoover bit, deflector tins inside cylinder tins these: http://www.awesomepowdercoat.com/cylinder_air_vanes.html cooling flaps wired open w/out t stat. so im getting this also: http://www.awesomepowdercoat.com/thermostat_flaps.html new flaps and tstat. and then of course these...: http://vwparts.aircooled.net/CB-Performance-Dual-I...p;CartID=1 among a few other parts to make it complete. the wifes gonna crap when she sees how much i spend. lol.

Don't forget the thermostat bracket, pulley, cable and coupling nut. Just went through this. But I can't afford APC tins so I sourced scrapyard ones and just painted them.
drakonis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah bracket of course. pulley? cable? coupling nut? what are these for? the carbs?
i just installed a new throttle cable/solid wire a week ago.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 18

Jump to: