Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Flashing semaphores...?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah Ha!!!! Surprised I didn't know that. My dash light is hooked up to the flasher unit for the regular turn sigs that were added later. Thanks for that bit of info, that will be usefull when I finally save the 400 - 500 bucks its going to take to buy the damn things. I believe semis will be the finishing touch to the car when it is finished!

Chris....
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm digging up this old thread because I came across this nifty item in an old Perohaus Catalog.

Simple, easy and cheap. Anyone ever seen one of these?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gitchesum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice...!!!
But it' s still 6V ...my method of a 6v battery hooked to semaphores seems to work well..have to charge it a 'bout every 2 months...
Thanks for the responses...

57 SC
61 rag w/356B brakes
61 356B
Honda XLR 250, 69 Z50, Yamaha 100 Enduro...and others.
GMC SLT 4x4 Dmax
Kubota L3710, not enuf attachments.
And various VW's that come and go...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some semaphores that "flip flop" up & down rapidly to simulate a flashing bulb.

1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
ghiafreek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan on wiring up my semaphores like the diagram shown by John...but I have question about the other wires.
Since I'm using a 3 connector semaphore blinker switch what happens to all the other wires that would normally go to the 6 connector blinker switch? As you can see the diagram below shows 2 blinker switches but I just have the one for the semaphores.

ghiafreek
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3 wire switch is used only on semaphore equipped Beetles.
1 wire is positive.
1 wire goes to the Right semaphore
1 wire goes to the Left semaphore .

The 6 wire switch was used on Beetles equipped with the turn signals and used dual filament bulbs.
1 wire goes to the Left taillight
1 wire goes to the Right taillight
1 wire goes to the Left front signal indicator
1 wire goes to the Right front signal indicator
1 wire goes to the brake master cylinder switch
1 wire goes to the flasher relay

The diagram you show above illustrates both semaphores & turn signals installed. It's a univeral wiring layout to showcase both European & US-specification. Since you're using semaphores, simply ignore the 6 wire switch Wink
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RareAir wrote:
Here are some semaphores that "flip flop" up & down rapidly to simulate a flashing bulb.

These things must make a god-awful noise.

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
twinwindows
Samba Pimp

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Splitdog wrote:
RareAir wrote:

These things must make a god-awful noise.

You cant even tell they are on when your in the car.
CHRISTINE
GFK LIFER!

myzamboni wrote:
Yeah, everyone's now doing it GFK style . . . everythinig is covert until the finished product is revealed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
T*RAV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased a NOS set of semaphores and installed them, but when I hook the power wire up to the fuse it blows. The wire harness is brand new and everythng else sems to work fine. do Ihave a problem with a ground o somthing. Thanks for any help.

http://t-ravs55.spaces.live.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
igtoth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
OK well I've adjusted the size of the diagram so it will display correctly in the Gallery.

The reason I didn't upload it before was that I wasn't sure what category I should put it in.

Anyway you'll find it under Bug- Oval Window. Hope you find it of use Smile

Thanks! Perfect... I used that schema with a Relay Style 3 to 2 Tail Light Converter. So I have Tail, Brake and Blinker all together in rear, modified the blue wire of the semaphore to flash itself.

and that is the result:

Link

Ighor Toth
igtoth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: How to Reply with quote

There are two wire connectors screws in the semaphores. One is for the blue wire and another for the two collor wire, on both sides..
You need to do some work in the semaphores in order to have them flashing. The connector screw to pop-up the wire (not for the blue wire one) goes out to 2 different internal wires in the semaphore. One is to the semaphore light bulb and another is to the coil. So, you need to separete them, and the screw for the blue wire, you will no longer use. The wire that goes to the light, that you just separete from the wire coil, than you need to tie to the blue wire on it, on both sides. and in the back of the speedometer, you need to release the blue wires from turn signal light in the speedometer and tie each side to the respective green and yellow out put from the converter along with the rest of the front and rear turn lights. There is only in inconvinient, I still didnt figured out how to set up the speedometer turn light back to work. But I will, and I will post soon.

Converter (you will need that):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Heavy-Duty-3-to-2-S...ccessories

Ighor Toth
Peter - Belgium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine just converted his semaphores like that.
He disconnected teh wire for the bulb and wired in a flasher relais

You will have to run a new wire through teh body as well offcourse

Peter
igtoth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter - Belgium wrote:
A friend of mine just converted his semaphores like that.
He disconnected teh wire for the bulb and wired in a flasher relais

You will have to run a new wire through teh body as well offcourse

Peter

If you want the light indicator working in the speedometer working, you need a 3rd wire. BUT, it will not flash... I am thinking how to have it without going with 3rd wire and flashing...

Ighor Toth
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine flash-and the indicator light as well. No extra wire.

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
igtoth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Splitdog wrote:
Mine flash-and the indicator light as well. No extra wire.

Like mine.. how you did that ???

Ighor Toth
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will get the semaphores flashing, provide blinkers, flashing dash indicator, and brake lights on early cars. This works great for splits. If you have an oval window, I would disable VW’s flasher system and run this setup. This assumes you are going 12 volt.

You will need to purchase a 2-terminal flasher ($5).You will need dual-filament rear bulb holders as well as an extra wire ran in the wiring harness to go to the taillights out back. (for splits). Go to www.watsons-streetworks.com and go halfway down their VW page. You want #L 10-TSRP. ($50). Follow the wiring diagram that comes with it. You mount this 4 relay-pack under the front trunk liner behind the dash. Then get two 1-ohm 50 watt ceramic resistors (they're big—I ran mine under the cowl) to go from the semaphore switch outs to the semaphore. ($10 each). One on each side, 'cause you'll need the full 12 volts going to the switch for the flasher. You'll get exactly 6 volts going to your sema.

Here’s how it works:

The top post of the sema is for the wire that goes to the dash indicator light. (this is always ‘hot’, and grounds out at the sema when the arm is up to provide dash light).
The bottom post is for the wire from the switch that energizes the semaphore. (coil and bulb). You should have two wires going from the bottom post to the coil and bulb. You want to cut the white wire that goes up to the bulb at the bottom post, and attach it to the top post. Also, now you want to be sure to disable the little strap that grounds out the coil pin on the bottom of the sema coil as you do not want this now. With it disabled, you attach the bulb (white) wire to the top post, along with the dash bulb indicator wire in the harness.

Now, wire it so that when you turn the switch, (right or left), power (12v) comes out of the switch and goes thru the resistor (right or left), and to the bottom post of the respective semaphore using the existing semaphore wire in the harness. You get 6v, and the sema pops up.
Also, you branch off of the switch out (before the resistors), and go to the relay pack (it has two inputs for this-right and left). It will have two sets of ‘outs’, (right and left rear, and right and left front--I used the 'front'--the rears will be for rear blinkers.) Run the front outs(--left and right--) to the top posts of the semaphores, using the existing dash indicator wire in the harness, one to each sema, and now they flash.

You also want to branch off of each of these outs on the relay pack to two diodes( #4001—common diodes—50 cents). At the other end of the diodes tie them both together to a single wire leading to the indicator bulb in the dash, then ground it out behind the dash. (that way, no matter which side is activated, the single dash indicator bulb gets power, and current cannot go backwards through the other wire to the relays). Now the indicator bulb will flash.
As mentioned above, the relay pack has left and right front outputs, and left and right rear outputs. (At this point, you could branch off of the fronts and go to front blinkers as well). The ‘rear’ outs go to the rear bulb holders. This is for your rear blinkers. The relay pack has provisions for the flasher input, and the brake light switch input.

Now the semaphores go up, (6 volt), the semaphore bulb flashes (12v), along with the rear (and front) blinkers, and the indicator in your dash. All together. And brake lights. Cool, huh? The relay pack will distinguish between brake lights and flasher, allowing the flasher to override the brake lights when both are applied. (one on solid, the turn side blinking....). If you have any questions, PM me. It works great. Jim

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have an oval window, I believe it has two dash indicator bulbs. Treat it as above except you won't need the diodes as each output (left or right) will go to the respective bulb, then ground out behind the dash. Sound right?

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
Petrov
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great solution to one of the other problems I have on my bug! Now if I could just get my doors straight...
kenbug67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 4:29 am    Post subject: Wiring issues.. Reply with quote

Hi all,
I assume most of you are using chip's wonderful product? I was looking at all the discussions on flashing semaphores.and LEDs and the wiring diagrams .. Seems to have flashing semaphores, flashing signal and the snowflake portion as the running light only .. It can't be done. Can some one help?? Seems the easiest way is for the snowflake to flash only and the stop / running lights to run same circuit...

I really want to have snowflake as the running lights and the the rest of the vertical LEDs (assume talking with respect to chips product) to work as signal/stop. Bearing in mind we are using flashing semaphores.. Did I confuse anyone?
Ken
xcoldgrimjimx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you would think some place would make light bulb something like a christmas light flasher bulb Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: