Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Painting over powder-coat???
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
happyhippo
Segapone Wanna-B

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:23 am    Post subject: Painting over powder-coat??? Reply with quote

Hey folks,
I'm having my pressed bus bumpers professionally straightened and prep'd for finish. I asked the person doing the work if they could simply prime the bumper so I could decide on colors later. No sweat, but the guy said they do all of their priming with powder-coat. He said it makes a great surface for doing final paint coating.

I didn't realize you could paint over powder-coat?? Has anyone had any experience with this? I have about a week until the bumper is straightened and I have to make a call on priming or not. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Look, I'll do whatever you want...Just get that death-weiner away from me! -- Principal Skinner

Never let a stripper clog dance near your dangle. -- Bob Oblong
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you hit it with some sand paper, I don't see why not.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pistolpete76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive had to hand letter on powder coated panels before and we were told some simple scuffing with sandpaper first will allow it to bond better, so thats another post for yes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
ekimthemad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad has been in the powder coating bussiness for about 15 years now and we have had customers put liquid over powder on a regular basis with no problems. As was already stated I would make sure to scuff sand it a little bit to help adhesion. Harley uses a powder primer followed by a liquid color coat and then a powder clear on all of their sheetmetal parts. I believe GM also uses a powder primer on some of their truck bodies underneath the color coat.

Mike
59 single, 66 bug, 69 bus, 73 super
happyhippo
Segapone Wanna-B

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the confirmation so quickly. You folks rock! Looks like I'll get it powdered in a color that may or may not be final and then decide how to finish it one I finalize the color of my bus.

Look, I'll do whatever you want...Just get that death-weiner away from me! -- Principal Skinner

Never let a stripper clog dance near your dangle. -- Bob Oblong
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: