Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

where to start?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hiperman70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:58 pm    Post subject: where to start? Reply with quote

hello,i just bought a 1972 fastback?
this is my first car project,what is the first thing i should do?besides pray Shocked
should i take all the body parts off,then take the shell of the frame?the body looks good,but cant really tell it has two coat of paint on it.i do want to repaint the car myself.I just got my garage set up and iam ready to go,but want to start things off right .i do have all of the inside of the car taken out.can anyone tell me were i should start and the steps i should take.thanks
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what are you after?...how much time and money are you willing to put into it?...you need to assess how much bad crusty rust you have in structural parts and wether you plan to fix them or not...simple surface rust is no big deal...if you need to replace metal, plan on a long, time consuming, expensive project...start by cleaning up the areas that need metal replacement and assess your situation...

if you can get away without replacing metal and just want to freshen up the paint, then you have a couple options to consider:

if you have more money than time, consider media blasting...make sure you find a good blaster, because vw sheet metal warps easily...this will take it down to bare metal quickly...

if you have lots of time and no money, consider sanding it down with DA sander, and sanding blocks/sand paper...you want to get it down to original paint/primer...you only absolutely need to expose metal where there is surface rust and bubbleing OG paint

this will get you started thinking...use the search button...lots of this stuff has been discussed to death on the threads and good luck with the project...it's a lot of work...but rewarding and educational....

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: