Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Blaupunkt Mainz ATR Picnic Radio
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
eddiemoney
East Coast Scavenger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Blaupunkt Mainz ATR Picnic Radio Reply with quote

i need all of the info you can provide with this type of radio.how easily rebuildable, any one got one for sale?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

they are called Blaupunkt Picnic Radio. Operates as a portable when removed from the car. When installed in the special in-dash holder, the radio works off the car battery, car antenna, and car speaker. AM/FM/LW. Anti-theft device prevent removal of the radio from the holder unless the ignition switch is in the on position.

coad thatnks for pic and description.

instagram im_eating_pizza
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one else is commenting so I'll add my 2 cents on these.

I have one in my Ghia and I like it. When the radio is in the in-dash holder the sound and reception is on par with any other radio. When it is operated as a portable, well, it is a 1960's portable radio-- not really impressive by today's standards. But I think the main advantage of them is the ability to slide them out as an anti-theft aid and not as a portable radio, so that's OK with me.

The problem with them is finding a complete unit in working condition.

The in-dash units are pretty sturdy, and there isn't much to go wrong with them, but make sure it has the faceplate so you can mount it since a standard faceplate won't work.

The radios are lightly built and they tend to have cracked plastic on the front housing. They also seem to suffer from battery leakage, so make sure the battery compartment is nice and clean. If it is missing the battery holder or battery compartment door I would pass on the radio. The real weak spot in the design is the built-in antenna (for use when the radio is out of the car). These tend to get broken when the radio is slid in and out of the radio holder, and replacing them is a real bitch.

As far as fixing them, they are early all transistor radios, so working on them shouldn't be too bad for anyone who knows radios, but parts might be a problem. I wound up buying about 4 junkers and made one really nice radio out of them, and one of my junkers had all kinds of cosmetic problems, but the internals were almost perfect so I just used that radio and put good exterior parts on it.

When you get one remember it is 6 or 12 volt selectable with pos and neg ground options, so make sure that's all set correctly before you power it up, and remember that there is an anti-theft device on the radio-- it needs to have power going to the in-dash unit before the radio will slide out of the holder.

(if you want one search on German ebay. The are not all that rare over there, and there is almost always one for sale)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eddiemoney
East Coast Scavenger

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im starting to collect all radios pre54 vw so if any one has a nice looking radio but not necessary working let me know. i hope to become an expert on vwradios so if anyone has a site they can point out to me let me know or pass on any info

instagram im_eating_pizza
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great place to start:

http://members.aol.com/porshalaka/DerWhitesBlaupunktRadios.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wimkever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or

http://users.skynet.be/antique.autoradio/Blaupunkt/Blaup_1/blaup_1.htm#retour_dates

http://www.escarabajovw.com.ar/radios.htm

Although it's in French (no problem for me) most of it is understandable and it gives a a lot of info.
DMNCLNR
Sir Camp'alot

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just came across aone of these Picnic radios, and mine unfortunately is just a shell. It is a Blaupunkt, but looks a bit different then the one pictured above.. If anyone has the internal radio part that would like to sell, i would be interested. I also might be interested in getting rid of my shell to help someone out. I dont know if it will be a problem to hook them up to the connecter if it is not the original radio too.?? I definitly think it would be a cool accessorie for my type 34 though..
Pl@y@ #1
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Gnome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few vintage radio sites I have found. Although not auto radio or VW only sites, they still have a lot of info and supplies to rebuild or repair old tube or transistor radios. Maybe they can help you find parts and stuff.

http://members.aol.com/djadamson/arp.html
http://www.new-foam.com/fabric1.asp
http://www.schmarder.com/dave/index.htm
Shane6 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone. I wanted to post to this thread because I'm in need of some parts for my Blaupunkt mainz atr.

I had one in my convertible a few years ago and when the radio quit working, I sold it rather than paying to have it fixed. Seeing the error in my ways, I found another that is working, but it is missing the chrome trim that goes around the hole in the dash, and of course it is missing the handle.

I guess I would have to say that I'm jonesin' to find the parts either by purchasing a good radio, a dead radio, just the sleeve, or just the slide out part. Email me with what you got, and if the price is within the stratosphere, I'll take it!

Help a brother out!
Shane6 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My new favorite Sambanista is definitely Coad!! Thank you for the parts for my radio. I've got mine all together now and will be installing it in my convertible in the next couple of weeks. I will post picture or two when I do.

Shane
Shane6 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got mine in and working finally.
meinvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a pinic but a nos radio! Just got this one of of evilbay, was not listed as vw but when I looked at the paperwork was in awe!!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eeclark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject: One for sale on eBay Reply with quote

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blaupunkt-Mainz-ATR-Portab...mp;vxp=mtr
1969 VW Type 3 Fastback from California
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: