Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which Muffler is the quietest?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vdubnut58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with glen on this one. Merged header with dual QP's I hate how loud my A1 magnaflow is. But let's face it. The dyno numbers don't lie. And my car makes more power after 4k rpm with the A1.
Arnolds64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: Stinger! Reply with quote

Still say Stinger with insert !! Quieter inside. LOL! 1 screw and more power than anything.
64 Bug, White, 2017, Dual Weber 44's, Engle 130/Engle lifters, Home P&P'd 40X35 heads, CB 4340 nitrided crank, Eagle knock off H Beam 5.5" rods, Lowering Beam, Rancho Trans, Traction Bar. 225X60's rear, 145's front on Porsche Chrome Nipple Wheels.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vdubnut58 wrote:
I'm with glen on this one. Merged header with dual QP's I hate how loud my A1 magnaflow is. But let's face it. The dyno numbers don't lie. And my car makes more power after 4k rpm with the A1.

How often are you cruising at more than 4000rpm?

Race car vs street car. Wink

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff Power wrote:
A hideaway would be nice, but it won't fit a bus will it?

I modified one to work on a 61 split window. Just took a little modifying of the pipe from the collector to the muffler. Sounds great!
vdubnut58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
vdubnut58 wrote:

How often are you cruising at more than 4000rpm?

Race car vs street car. Wink

It's just a 12 sec daily driver. See's a lot of street and strip use.
And my neighbor hates it Wink
stealth67vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been into VWs since 1988 and the quietest muffler I've used is the dual Hi Tuck Thunderbird non merged exhaust( the kind that tucked up in the fenderwell). I had a set on a mostly stock 1641 single port and I had to rev up the engine to make sure it was still running. I'm pretty sure they dont make them anymore.
7.76 @ 89.55mph 1/8 mile
12.34 and 108.10 mph 1/4 mile
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mooosman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have any opinions on bug dual QP setups, specifically quality-wise, between the Bugpack and Tri-Mil brands?

Any difference in build quality? Nicer materials on one or the other? I'm looking for something quiet that'll last a while.

Tri-Mil looks a little nicer in pictures, but I haven't been able to hold either one in my hands to compare.

Nick Cool
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

put good stainless steel muflers on it. I have a stainless 3 chamber turbo type muffler(straight through & 2 more straight through tubes at the sides.) I figured it would be to loud so I pluged the center tube.it was so qiuet I could not hear it run inside the car,and barly on the outside.so I un corked it.not bad at all. each tube is 2" dia.. the company is powertone in cali.but I dont think they make this same muffler any more, but they do have some great mufflers.check them out.and this muffler has been on my car for atleast 8 years., probably 90-100000 miles,dayley driven everywhere.the carbs are louder than the muffler.
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mooosman wrote:
Does anyone have any opinions on bug dual QP setups, specifically quality-wise, between the Bugpack and Tri-Mil brands?

Any difference in build quality? Nicer materials on one or the other? I'm looking for something quiet that'll last a while.

Tri-Mil looks a little nicer in pictures, but I haven't been able to hold either one in my hands to compare.

Nick Cool

I don't have any experience with TriMil, but I can tell you that bugpack makes a pretty nice product. Made in the USA, too, despite rumors I've seen circulate on the forums here that they're made overseas (think EMPI shit).

In a conversation with someone once, I did hear good things about TriMill, as well, though. At that point I didn't even know they made sedan exhausts, I thought they only made off-road systems.

Odds are you probably can't go wrong with either brand, IMO.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joesplace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Vintage Speed stainless steel header & super flow muffler on my 1776 and I love the sound - it's very quite also . . .
fiveohnick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had some experiance with mufflers on both my bug and my other V8 cars. I made a 2.5" flowmaster fat boy for my bug and have been running it for years but its really loud. I also have old ford pickup with dual 3" exhaust with a big block chrysler v8. First I had flowmasters and it was f#$kin loud, sounded cool but long drives wore you out. I did some research on quiet performance mufflers and came up with the Dynomax Ultraflo race muffler. I got 2 for my truck and it is SOOO much better, it sounds bitchin but is quiet about it untill you romp on it. By far one of the best purchases I have ever made. I also noticed an increase in power, seems the flowmasters flow around 425 cfm per muffler and the Dynomax Ultraflo mufflers flow around 1800 cfm. Since I got those for my truck I cant wait to put one on my VW.
El Guero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best dual quite mufflers IMO where the Berg ones. I wrote to them and they said they don't make them anymore, because the place they got their muffler blanks,don't make them no more. If anybody knows any company that makes those blanks let them know.
yeoldeluke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to resurrect this thread, but... I am wondering if anyone has found a hideaway style exhaust that works on a Ghia? If not then I guess the Quiet-packs are the quietest Ghia exhaust?
kielbasa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked on a little old ladys car, very nice car, she wanted it quiet so we went to a exhaust shop and the guy did a muffler with a resonator behind it. It was super quiet. Almost had that stock Honda sound. Only thing it needed wad hydraulic lifters
Jeff's VW Speed and Fab
4inbore.com
Kielbasa Industries
Car32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Muffler is the quietest? Reply with quote

Old thread ... anyway ...

I replaced my Fat Boy with a Spintech and I'm happy with the sound.

It's not quiet but the Spintech sounds great at idle and makes a nice bark when the engine revs.

The Fat Boy was getting scraped on my driveway because of how low it hung. I was able to tuck the Spintech under the right-side apron in the Ghia.

I'd had dual Spintechs on my 1.8-liter Miata and they sounded great, too.

The muffler and pipe from the collector weigh 11 pounds, by the way.

1971 Karmann Ghia Coupe
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: