Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which Muffler is the quietest?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it wasn't an option given, but the hideaway is quieter then any of the ones listed, by far. And there are no ground clearance issues.

John
Aircooled.Net Inc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
a_67vdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
it wasn't an option given, but the hideaway is quieter then any of the ones listed, by far. And there are no ground clearance issues.

John
Aircooled.Net Inc.

I used to have a hideaway and I also noticed it was pretty quiet. What's the reason for this? Is it the extra length of pipe, or the muffler? To me the muffler looks the same as a QP.

Steve
OTO X58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

that looks really cool, oregonian52. that's by far my favorite exhaust system for a bug.
Jeff Power
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A hideaway would be nice, but it won't fit a bus will it?

Check out my basses here www.ellabasses.com

jerry wrote:

Nothing says "I love busses" more than picking up a mouse turd filled with horse hair seat padding
PHAT4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oregonian52 what exhaust and header is that?

I'm new to the ACVW so bear with me Laughing
Don Jiskra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, look up 7 posts before yours. Idea

I think the extra length of tubing on the hideaway makes it quieter. I'd say there is a good 4' of it.

Oregonian's system looks to be the BAS made in Germany. I've heard it is a very nice system, but it is in the neighborhood of $500, and to me it is a lot of clamps and plumbing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OTO X58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Jiskra wrote:
John, look up 7 posts before yours. Idea

I think the extra length of tubing on the hideaway makes it quieter. I'd say there is a good 4' of it.

Oregonian's system looks to be the BAS made in Germany. I've heard it is a very nice system, but it is in the neighborhood of $500, and to me it is a lot of clamps and plumbing.

you just said that the extra length of pipe makes the hideaway quieter. so assuming that quiet is a good thing, wouldn't the extra plumbing be beneficial? and what do you mean about the clamps? if you are talking about the muffler hangers, you would need them in a hideaway application as well.

also, don't forget the increased ground clearance. all the regular exhausts, including the hideaway, have to bolt to the triangle flange which hangs under a bug's apron. this one tucks up behind the apron and uses the stock exhaust cutouts. very cool.
Mr. Bubblehead
El Chupa Nibre

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that setup, will that fit on a bus? It looks like valve adjustments might be a PITA, though.

Samba Member #4862
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Don Jiskra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roachghia,

By clamps I was referring to the six clamps visible in the picture. I have no doubt the BAS is a sweet system, I considered purchasing one. Many consider it the best and I would agree.

Personally, I find the hideway sufficient and simpler at about 1/10th price. Not intended to disrepect the BAS, just for me, the hideway is a better choice. It has one hanger, no slipjoints, and it is also is easier to remove for valve adjustments. In my installation the hideaway does not decrease ground clearance at all because it mates to a 1.625" header that was already installed. The BAS does hide the flange up under the apron nicely.
oregonian52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BAS is nice. Valve adjustments if you remove the rear tires are accessible, a little tougher for the # 2-4 exhaust but not impossible. The valve cover slides off to the front.

Price is a factor. I paid 915 Euro ($787.00) over a year ago for non-ceramic coated with large diameter heater boxes and shipping.
I know the exchange rate hasn't gotten any better.

Heat is a factor since all the tubing is up high. I've had to replace the rear engine seal since the original melted away. I understand a type 4 bus seal might be best.
I have high temperature heat wrap around my external oil lines. Had an oil hose burned through on the freeway. Shocked

The tubing and mufflers slip off and on when needed.

It took about two hours for a professional muffler shop to install. I had it done at a local place in Spring Valley (San Diego) that specializes in street rods etc. The installer owned a few bugs so understood the special needs and requirements I had.

I understand the price will put off a lot of people but it looks sweet, is quiet and I'm happy.

70 Ghia
the caveman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i installed a fat boy on my 1900cc 1 1/2" merged headers and found the noise "boomy". i think that unless you have at least 37 or larger exhaust valves and more that 2 litres you don't have enough pressure to keep the exhaust from just loafing in the muffler and resonating inside instead of being drawn out with vacuum.
caromin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ran dual quietpacks and I'm currently running a single quietpack. The duals were quieter but not by a big margin. Personally I like the single slightly better because it hides out a little better so it scrapes a little less. Plus the exhause note seems crisper to me, of course this has allot to do with my current engine only being a 1600 but for my setup, the single seems to work a little better. HP test don't support that though, I seem to remember duals did better. I'm going run a merged 1 5/8" with a phat boy on the 2110 I'm assembling but if it's crazy loud I'll probably go with a hideout muffler. I really liked that complete system A-1 came up with but it's a little too pricey for my budget.
Sandrail
Explorer rail build!

'Rollin Dirt Video!
PHAT4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are some companies that carry the A-1 set up?
vwpride58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could just go with a sidewinder.
sconord
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have dual quiet packs brom BugPack. These are anything BUT quiet. I am very disappointed in them,

I am looking for extremely quiet. A factory Honda muffler quiet.

I have a baja with a Tri-Mil single quiet pack bobtail type and it is very quiet.

I am thinking of the euro style Tri-Mil.

I want silent. Anyone?

this guy has the right idea, http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=75462
But a bit labor intensive.
Alan Willis
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A-1 carries A-1(go figure)they are all custom made! As for the sidewinder,Tiger built a 1 3/4"sidewinder for my bug and all I can say is WOW! The exhaust is actually HIGHER than the rear apron,it is very quiet,and only has 4 connections,which makes for a very leak free system!
die schwarzen Schafe #666
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sconord wrote:
I have dual quiet packs brom BugPack. These are anything BUT quiet. I am very disappointed in them,

I am looking for extremely quiet. A factory Honda muffler quiet.

I have a baja with a Tri-Mil single quiet pack bobtail type and it is very quiet.

I am thinking of the euro style Tri-Mil.

I want silent. Anyone?

this guy has the right idea, http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=75462
But a bit labor intensive.

You will never make the ACVW "Honda factory muffler" quiet...along with the exhaust, the Honda has a liquid cooled and different inline design engine unlike the Volkswagen's opposed cylinder layout, with no water cooling to "insulate things" so to speak.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sconord
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dare to dream.

I know that I can't get is that quiet, but the Tri-Mil I have is very quiet. I can't find one for other than a Baja type exhaust though.
Ecoh72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: Tri-Mill Reply with quote

i have a 1776 built by chico and he put the tri-mill pea shooters and j-tubes on it and to tell you the truth, its loud... i set off car alarms, and lots of my neighbors yell at me.... i like the noise, but if you would like to listen to music or not have to yell at your passenger to have a conversation, then the tri-mill stock style exhaust is not your exhaust... i have heard the long QP's you talk of in a bug and it is very quiet compared to most aftermarket exhaust

www.flickr.com/ecoh72

'67 T1 running a Chico Performance 1776

Last edited by Ecoh72 on Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
aussie01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is the sidewinder exhaust Alan was talking about
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: