Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which Muffler is the quietest?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwdmc16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my empi hideaway is quiet loud and sounds terible IMO, very disapointed in it. my Dynomax phatboy is even louder but it sounds sexy as hell, still too loud however.

im going to full custom dual muffler on both of my ghias

'72 Ghia: http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n146/vwdmc17/100_1964.jpg
'72 Honda Z600
'81 Delorean

www.EVILGENIUSRACING.com
JBenziger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoachGhia, With all due respect, My mother doesn't own a Honda Minivan. And I'll stick with John Muir, he and I have been through a lot together. Thank you very much.

I've been corresponding with the folks over at Cip1.com and they suggest the Genuine VW of Mexico Exhaust. It's quiet, Looks like the stock from outside, and helps performance #ACC-35067. Thanks for the reply.
dog_jr911
Swamp Donkey Assistant

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive got a merged Dynamax.

its not that much louder inside the cabin than my turbo-tuck (hideaway)

but it sounds like the coolest thing in the world. no one makes fun of a ghia with a magnaflow or dynamax exhaust. its just too sexy!

but the hideaway..... you can really hear the mechanics of the VW.
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBenziger wrote:
RoachGhia, With all due respect, My mother doesn't own a Honda Minivan. And I'll stick with John Muir, he and I have been through a lot together. Thank you very much.

I've been corresponding with the folks over at Cip1.com and they suggest the Genuine VW of Mexico Exhaust. It's quiet, Looks like the stock from outside, and helps performance #ACC-35067. Thanks for the reply.

Just a forewarning, that exhaust you're considering is complete junk. I've seen one up close and it's got a horrible build quality. I would recommend either sticking with a stock muffler or else a hideaway muffler/header combo.

John Muir's info is extremely outdated, as well. Some of the basics still apply, but I wouldn't rely on his book when there's so much that's changed since the late '60s.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JBenziger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the Muir book has also changed considerably since the 1960's. It's on its 19th Edition, and there have been several changes to the book. There are updated chapters (i.e. Changes and New Ideas, performance, etc.) so it's not as ancient as you're all saying. But, to each his own.

What about the VW of Mexico Exhaust is not well built? It comes highly recommended from California Import Parts. Did you order the Genuine Replacement part?
dwayne prince
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a polished flowmaster and thunderbird header on my ghia.it looks good has anice mellow tone,then you step on it and things get loud in a hurry.its not stinger loud by any means but it sounds far better than these stainless pos hanging off hondas and neons
vwdmc16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dog_jr911 wrote:

but it sounds like the coolest thing in the world. no one makes fun of a ghia with a magnaflow or dynamax exhaust. its just too sexy!

completly agree Smile

'72 Honda Z600
'81 Delorean

www.EVILGENIUSRACING.com
Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugnut68 wrote:
JBenziger wrote:

Just a forewarning, that exhaust you're considering is complete junk. I've seen one up close and it's got a horrible build quality. I would recommend either sticking with a stock muffler or else a hideaway muffler/header combo.

That is good advice right there. I made the mistake of getting this (from cip1 also, although I don't blame them) and it is complete garbage.
Aside from the poor fit, (required bending to work and still has poor apron clearance) it has been a constant source of grief for tuning, and it will be replaced before my bug sees summer weather again.
I think the stock muffler performed better than this one does.
The chrome tips were rusted within days, and the sloppy welds were evident, despite the tar-like paint that covered it.
One of those instances where original VW parts are not recommended.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is you asking advice from CIP1 (and accepting it) when people are telling you this is junk and you are better off with a stock muffler or a header and a quiet pack or hideaway.
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBenziger wrote:
Well, the Muir book has also changed considerably since the 1960's. It's on its 19th Edition, and there have been several changes to the book. There are updated chapters (i.e. Changes and New Ideas, performance, etc.) so it's not as ancient as you're all saying. But, to each his own.

What about the VW of Mexico Exhaust is not well built? It comes highly recommended from California Import Parts. Did you order the Genuine Replacement part?

The problem with asking advice from a retailer (as a general rule) is that they're in the business to sell parts; if you're looking for a quiet exhaust that fits your requirements aesthetically (fitting the stock body panel outlets), then they will recommend something that fits the bill.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70VWkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have a 1835 10:1 compression 1 1/2 merged header with a phat boy street driven daily and its not that loud at all. i can have a conversation with out yelling and nobody seems to complain about it.

(if its too loud your too old)
JBenziger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay fine. I'm throwing John Muir out the window and I'll use a stock muffler. Happy? Gee Whiz.
Hotrodvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Advise is like an opinion, and opinions are like ass holes.......we all have them, they're all gonna stink. Your job as the consumer/user is to do your research, and not take one idiot's word for it. If you don't take the time to research what you're buying, you get what you deserve.

78x94 with IDA's....oober fun

Horsepower is an addiction........Addictions cost
lots of money!

Hose & Fittings
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
58 Plastic Tub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugnut68 wrote:
JBenziger wrote:

John Muir's info is extremely outdated, as well. Some of the basics still apply, but I wouldn't rely on his book when there's so much that's changed since the late '60s.

Ditto that. I bought one for a 1776 when they came out a few years ago. It was the worst fabricated part I've ever purchased (by a wide margin). If you buy one, it should be for the entertainment value only.
dog_jr911
Swamp Donkey Assistant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwdmc16 wrote:
dog_jr911 wrote:

completly agree Smile

Cool

my turbo is going to have a glass pack on it Shocked
Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBenziger wrote:
Okay fine. I'm throwing John Muir out the window and I'll use a stock muffler. Happy? Gee Whiz.

Hey man, we're just offering our opinions here for YOUR benefit.
The question you ought to ask yourself is will YOU be happy? Very Happy J/K
Bravo Zulu to you my friend, as it's nice to see someone here who makes a post for advice and actually listens to opinions, vs. posting a question and contrary to the advice given, blunders ahead making a poor choice!
thetravman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stock is the quietest muffler. Then hideaway (valve adjustments complicated). Then my favorite, THE SINGLE QUIET PAK. Hooray! I drive one now. That final vw exhaust is also made by EMPI (the cheap chinese product.) I drove it and was amazed at the "mini-header's" power. It does have a 4-into-one. It's louder and tweetier than any of the aforementioned exhausts I"ve mentioned.

I refer to John Muir alot cross referncing Hanes, Chilton and the bently.
vwdmc16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey i just installed a custom made exhuast. it is a $10 jaguar XJS stainless muffler and 3" tubing, i may redo it to make it hand a little higher but the important part is that it is very quiet and still throaty when you mash on it.
still needs to be smoothed and polished, yes the hanger is temporary
and a bumper would finish it off

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'72 Honda Z600
'81 Delorean

www.EVILGENIUSRACING.com
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The interesting thing with mufflers is nobody seems to really looks at what there buying, most oh the fatboy style mufflers come in one size which is far to big for a smaller engine so it lets loads of sound out of it.

If you read some on the perforrmance muffler makers website, the 2.5" and 3" mufflers are way over sized for mosts needs.

You can buy mufflers and tubes bends cheap on Ebay (gold quality stuff too like magnaflow) if you have welding skills, make somthing up in the size you really need.

Wink
(06:31:07) RoachGhia: "i drink dick way too fast"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rkeller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoever said this exhaust doesn't flow has been misinformed. VW trends did a side by side muffler / exhaust comparison and rated this just under a merged extractor and higher than all the rest of the euro-style exhausts. People have said it sounds great and I don't think it's too loud inside, unless you have no insulation or interior, check it out for yourself:

Link
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: