Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

homemade airdryer?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vdubyah73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: homemade airdryer? Reply with quote

Looking around the net for an air dryer I see refrigerant types. Sssoooooo I said to myself, self, why can't ya take a portable air tank and put it in a cooler with ice and route yer air thru it? Wouldn't this work for painting? I have a couple of traps but when the compressor is running 100% duty cycle ( which it's rated for) I get some water and even iceing in my tools. Money is tight right now I'd rather spend it on the Rivifalia (Riviera camper Westy interior) that I'm (ahem Rolling Eyes ) restoring.

73 bounty hunter, sold.
'77 transporter, junked had crotch rot.
Dubless, but have a CPR built stroker waiting for a new to me Beetle
'93 Fleetwood Bounder 34'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nthang
Sambassador

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Making an air dryer? Try these guys:

http://www.motorguard.com/air.html

I use the M-60 for drying the air to spray paint and a plasma cutting. I use standard rolls of toilet paper for filters rather than their $7 replacement filters.....a budgetary maneuver learned from my local AirGas mechanic.
PhatPhenders56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may sound funny but this what I use. From air comp. I ran a hose to an evap coil(to cool the compressed air) pulled from a 1986 Dodge Omni (friends car that had an int fire) with custom made adpt.(steel plate with 2 holes drilled and tapped). From there it's routed to what I like to call "a pipe bomb" 2"x18" galv pipe capped at both ends( drill and tap 1/4 pipe both end caps and 1 on the side about 3" from end(bottom) with installed barb'd fittings and petcock drain on bottom, hung vert. from top cap I ran into a motor gaurd filt. The motogaurd filters work great by themselves but you can never have the air too dry. By the way DO NOT USE PVC PIPE when building your "pipe bomb" or you will have a bomb! When I'm appling the finish color/clear coat I pack the "pipe bomb" with TT paper. A friend turned me onto the pipe bomb dryer but him used cotexs, NO WAY IN H*LL I'm buying cotexs! Rubbers yea, cotexs NO!
nthang
Sambassador

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhatPhenders56 wrote:
This may sound funny but this what I use. From air comp. I ran a hose to an evap coil(to cool the compressed air) pulled from a 1986 Dodge Omni (friends car that had an int fire) with custom made adpt.(steel plate with 2 holes drilled and tapped). From there it's routed to what I like to call "a pipe bomb" 2"x18" galv pipe capped at both ends( drill and tap 1/4 pipe both end caps and 1 on the side about 3" from end(bottom) with installed barb'd fittings and petcock drain on bottom, hung vert. from top cap I ran into a motor gaurd filt. The motogaurd filters work great by themselves but you can never have the air too dry. By the way DO NOT USE PVC PIPE when building your "pipe bomb" or you will have a bomb! When I'm appling the finish color/clear coat I pack the "pipe bomb" with TT paper. A friend turned me onto the pipe bomb dryer but him used cotexs, NO WAY IN H*LL I'm buying cotexs! Rubbers yea, cotexs NO!

Real men buy Kotex for their chicks and they cook, shop, all that shit. Very Happy
vdubyah73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Real men buy Kotex for their chicks and they cook, shop, all that shit. Very Happy[/ word ! [/list][/code][/quote] Well the pipe bomb sounds like an easy and cheap idea. I've used those disposable filters that screw onto ur tool (that sounds perverted, funny to me) for my siphon sand blaster and that works for a day or 2. I looked at another site and got some other ideas such as running the plumbing uphill from the comp' with a trap in a couple of places. My prob think is that when I'm useing big air guzzling tools the comp runs 100% it actually helps heat my shop, rated 11.8 @40psi 10.3 @90psi 100% duty cycle. The tank gets warm enough that when ur hands are frozen from holding a metal heatsink of a tool you go to the tank to thaw them out! Thanks people I'll definitley try the pipe idea and put some hard plumbing in. Bill

73 bounty hunter, sold.
'77 transporter, junked had crotch rot.
Dubless, but have a CPR built stroker waiting for a new to me Beetle
'93 Fleetwood Bounder 34'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PhatPhenders56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The A/C evap core helps to cool the air and allow the moisture to condense. That alone help out a bunch. Before that I coiled up about 20-30' of air hose and shoved into a 5gal bucket fill with water.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: