Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Do heater boxes go bad?
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwbullet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject: Do heater boxes go bad? Reply with quote

I am going to take off my heater boxes since i am replacing my engine anyways. There are no rust holes in them, but they look like all hell. IF and when i decide to put them back on, is there anything that i have to worry about as far contaminatioin or something? The reason i ask is because i like to take my kids with me whenever i cruise, and i would not want them susceptable to any harmful things. Let me know if somebody could shed some light on this for me. Thanks
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they look ok (no holes or serious rust) they should be ok.

They can rot out.

Maybe clean them up with degreaser before reusing them?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Bubblehead
El Chupa Nibre

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't let anything get on the inside of them, like oil or grease or anything. If you do whenever you turn on the heat the car will stink. Make sure that there are no leaks in the exhaust or in the cooling air connections, and you'll be fine.
Samba Member #4862
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Do heater boxes go bad? Reply with quote

vwbullet wrote:
I am going to take off my heater boxes since i am replacing my engine anyways. There are no rust holes in them, but they look like all hell.

You might try cleaning them up with a wire brush, and painting them with some POR 15. This will slow down any rusting, and help make them look good. Most of these have a pre-soaked tar board / carboard with steel rub pieces. These will have to be removed before doing any cleaning. Rolling Eyes
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
vwbullet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also noticed that one of my cables for the heater boxes is broken. Can these still be purchased? Or do i just have to rig something?
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can still buy them. What year you got???

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
josh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes they corrode away where the donut clamp connects them wich can lead to exhaust leaks. I've heard there's a sleeve that's used to repair them but I really don't know anything about it.
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

josh wrote:
Sometimes they corrode away where the donut clamp connects them wich can lead to exhaust leaks. I've heard there's a sleeve that's used to repair them but I really don't know anything about it.

I have a bunch of the repair sleeves that I snagged on Ebay.
$8.00 a pair delivered.
http://classicvw.org/gallery/my_misc/adapter1

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: