Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Harbor Freight Powdercoater?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
4x4EATR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Harbor Freight Powdercoater? Reply with quote

Hello y'all! I was wondering if the Harbor Freaight Powdercoater actually works. Seems pretty cheap for $80. Is there hidden extra equipment, or is this a viable option for powdercoating small parts on my baja? Thanks in advance.
myb356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally use the Eastwood powder coater, but my friend has the Harbor Freight. They both work fine...all depends on how clean the parts are (glass beaded is best). All you need is a compressor with regulator capable of getting down to around 5 psi, a cookie sheet and aluminum foil. An old toaster oven is great for real small stuff. A company called Caswell sells a huge selection of powder colors at cheaper prices than Eastwood. Harbor Freight only has 4 colors. Caswell also has bulk pricing. I personally like the "almost chrome" or "silver vein" (Eastwood color chart) , but they require clear and practice not to yellow the clear.
clearsurf2001
Samba Vaccinator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.caswellplating.com

Caswell has just about everything. I've used their Cermachrome. They have a formula that doesn't contain or emit the poisonous chems that the industrial Cermachrome does. It works great on exhausts and looks and wears just like what you get by sending your parts to Jet Hot. Lots cheaper.
mharney wrote:

I think Glenn has an EMPI crank in his engine.
4x4EATR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your input! I think I'll buy the Harbor Freight system and order powder through Caswell.
gobo57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you powder cat things as large as engine tin etc. and would you have to build a box or cabinet to powder coat in without making a large mess? $80 or even $200 bucks is'nt bad. set up fees are around $100 in these parts(denver). seems a system at home would pay for itself quickly Laughing
Kubel Nick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a harbor freight style system and works good, tip is too big so use the smaller one that comes in the box.

Anything can be powdercoated as long as it can fit in an oven or use specific heat lamps and the item to be coated can withstand 400 degree heat.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: