Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

step by step rust removel
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: step by step rust removel Reply with quote

looking for step by step on how to remove my rust. Have a 71 beetle. small rust spots on area where roof ends just above the door. Lots of rust is inside the car toward the back panel. not sure where to start. thanks for the help.
fishbone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are plenty of books out there

First step:
clean off the loose stuff with a wire brush
if you see alot of deep pits like we see in Ma, or another damp climates, to do it right, chances are the panel will need to be replaced

I won't get into gaffing it

Light surface rust can be treated with chemicals like POR15 or Eastwood's rust inhibiters.
It won't stop it but prolong the inevitable
A little bondo/sanding/priming/paint

If you live in a dry climate, it could last years without much further damage
Chopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks alot i think thats what i am going to do. clean it up with some sanding and use a rust inhibitor. I live in Southern California so i dont have to mess with an ultra wet climate. one more question. With surface rust if i get the rust spots off with sanding should i spray the rust inhibitor on or just leave it?
fishbone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCAL is a dry climate, most of the time! but you should prime and paint

Using a rust inhiberter primer will last longer, but even a small can is pricey and it ussually hardens in the can once it is opened

Depending on the size of the rust area, clean with sand paper, try to contain the repair to just the just the damage, feather the edges so it will blend in, and you could dab primer on it with a artist or model brush or cotton swab, let it dry, lightly sand agian and do the same with color matching paint
boobaZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:01 am    Post subject: [color=blue]keep the rust, but kill it first[/color] Reply with quote

If you want to keep the bug alive for at least 50 more years... (why not?!)
don`t use any toxic acid stuff, inhibitors, or anything like that. As someone said, it just postpones the inevitable, after a while you would have rust popping out again...

Wurth has produced a liquid called Rust convertor (I`m not advertising for Wurth, but it has definitely impressed me). It`s not cheap, about $50 a kilo, covering approximately 20 square meters (I`m from Europe (?!), hope you guys know these measures). It neutralizes rust, and even regenerates the surface. It does not affect bare metal at all (primer goes wherever there is no rust at all), should only be applied to rusted surfaces. When applied, it turns from white to blue and eventually to black after about 3 hours. After it dries, you can apply primer, filler, and whatever else according to regular procedure, if you consider yourself capable for performing the final body works.

You can check out other such products (there are more by other producers advertised on the Net), but I know how this one works, and I recommend it to any serious restorer.

Hope it`s not too late.
boobaZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention...

You first clean the surface a bit only with a wire brush, and apply the liquid over the rust with a paint brush. Leave it to dry well before you apply anything else. No big deal, easy to do, effective.
jansop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wondering, do the same for rust on bumpers?????
boobaZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jansop wrote:
Wondering, do the same for rust on bumpers?????

Well, if you are planning on rechroming them, I guess you should do the same. Remove the chrome completely first, of course. But, if there are cracks on the chrome only, you could apply the converter on the rusty spots, but I have no idea what to cover it with then. That is, if you want to keep them chromed.
When we bought our beetle, bumpers were perfectly healthy, but painted in black, for some reason. Some people do that, though I can't see why !!!?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: