Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Middle seats
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TimmyH79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Figured people subscribed here might be interested to see some pics of the short, full folding middle seat referenced a few times in this thread finally reunited with a double door bus thanks to the efforts of Gibbs and the good Mr Pickens

They are covered by by the kick panels but it does have the diagonal supports for a '67 - while my bus is a 67 it was technically m-coded for a full length (presumably double flipper). However, this seat is great and I really like how easy it is to get in the back.

Also, it's hard to see but there is release lever for the backrest on both sides

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Previous:
'67 21-Window Dual-Slider
'79 Westfalia
6sixTinBox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the high price of original middle seats, I find it very interesting that no business sells a reproduction middle seat in the U.S. I have seen the reproduced ones up for sale in the classifieds, but more than a $1k for a frame? That's too rich for me. I wish my bus would have had it's middle seat. Oh well!

It is what it is
KombiMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

67T1 wrote:
With the high price of original middle seats, I find it very interesting that no business sells a reproduction middle seat in the U.S. I have seen the reproduced ones up for sale in the classifieds, but more than a $1k for a frame? That's too rich for me. I wish my bus would have had it's middle seat. Oh well!

I agree. The WW site still has an image of middle seat for sale but when you click on it, comes up 'no longer available' or something like that. I recently put in a big order with WW and in my email correspondence I asked the same question you posed above - with the high price of original middle seats you'd think someone would be repro ing them?! They didn't really answer that question, just said they no longer sell them.
The Dutch ones look nice but when you add freight to Australia, well no thanks.

I have my middle seat and I am getting it sandblasted and some of the metal tubing that's rusted out re welded with new steel tube. The seat spring base seems OK (we'll see how good after blasting) and the flip seat backrest spring section is OK. However, I'm totally missing the 2/3 backrest spring section.
Anyone, got a section to spare or would a Bay middle seat spring backrest fit there. Or any other solutions to replace the 2/3 spring backrest????
Chris Paterson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KombiMadness wrote:
67T1 wrote:

I agree. The WW site still has an image of middle seat for sale but when you click on it, comes up 'no longer available' or something like that. I recently put in a big order with WW and in my email correspondence I asked the same question you posed above - with the high price of original middle seats you'd think someone would be repro ing them?! They didn't really answer that question, just said they no longer sell them.

I have my middle seat and I am getting it sandblasted and some of the metal tubing that's rusted out re welded with new steel tube. The seat spring base seems OK (we'll see how good after blasting) and the flip seat backrest spring section is OK. However, I'm totally missing the 2/3 backrest spring section.
Anyone, got a section to spare or would a Bay middle seat spring backrest fit there. Or any other solutions to replace the 2/3 spring backrest????

I talked to the guys at Wolfsburg West a couple of OCTO shows ago about this. Jim (I think) said that basically they only made one style and it was the 67 seat. Everyone complained that it wasn't right for their bus and they had to buy a shipping container full of them for the chinese manufacturer to consider it worthwhile. Then when they got them stateside they were so large each that they had to warehouse that many of them. So the basic problem is they were too large and they had to buy in such bulk quantity that it wasn't quite worth it for them to make them. So the demand just isn't quite high enough to mass produce them, therefore someone would have to hand make them which brings the cost right back up.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Paterson wrote:
KombiMadness wrote:
67T1 wrote:

I talked to the guys at Wolfsburg West a couple of OCTO shows ago about this. Jim (I think) said that basically they only made one style and it was the 67 seat. Everyone complained that it wasn't right for their bus and they had to buy a shipping container full of them for the chinese manufacturer to consider it worthwhile. Then when they got them stateside they were so large each that they had to warehouse that many of them. So the basic problem is they were too large and they had to buy in such bulk quantity that it wasn't quite worth it for them to make them. So the demand just isn't quite high enough to mass produce them, therefore someone would have to hand make them which brings the cost right back up.

I wonder how many that was...

Also - they have a warehouse. but I can understand if it didn't fit there as I know it's nicely laid out and may not have a ton of extra space available.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KombiMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me the obvious question is why did they decide to only reproduce the 1967 seat and not the earlier versions? Also, if they provided the Chinese manufacturer with a good condition middle seat to reproduce, the Chinese could've made close to an exact copy. This is more than likely what Evam (the Dutch supplier of the repro 6 leg seat advertising here on the Samba) has done.
I still think there must be thousands of bus owners who would pay $500 or more for a good quality copy - much better than not having a middle seat at all. Certainly, $4000 for an original that is rarely advertised, is out of most peoples league.
In my case, I can't even use a Bay middle seat as a substitute because my bus is LHD and Australia is RHD - meaning a Bay seat here in Australia would have the single flip backrest on the wrong side for my LHD bus..... So trying to repair mine is what I need to do. To that end, anyone got some tips on replacing my missing spring section backrest?

Last edited by KombiMadness on Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Paterson wrote:
I talked to the guys at Wolfsburg West....the demand just isn't quite high enough to mass produce them,

That was then, this is now.

That is and old story they are telling back when a repro seat was a novelty and demand was just in it's infancy. It took them forever to move the inventory.

Now the infant has grown to pubescent teen and there aren't enough girls to go around. Even a fake plastic frame that could be covered but not sat on would sell.
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TimmyH79 wrote:
Figured people subscribed here might be interested to see some pics of the short, full folding middle seat referenced a few times in this thread finally reunited with a double door bus thanks to the efforts of Gibbs and the good Mr Pickens

They are covered by by the kick panels but it does have the diagonal supports for a '67 - while my bus is a 67 it was technically m-coded for a full length (presumably double flipper). However, this seat is great and I really like how easy it is to get in the back.

Also, it's hard to see but there is release lever for the backrest on both sides

Thanks for posting. I am just thrilled that this unique middle seat has finally gotten it's just place in the world. It looks fantastic in your bus. Congratulations, you got this build done in record time!

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
6sixTinBox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd definitely pay $500 for a repop seat, even if it is a 67 but not >$1k for an original. With out a doubt out of my league. That's just silly. Rolling Eyes

It is what it is
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

67T1 wrote:
I'd definitely pay $500 for a repop seat, even if it is a 67 but not >$1k for an original. With out a doubt out of my league. That's just silly. Rolling Eyes
you would have closer to 800 bucks in a repo seat when you buy the covers and padding.

I don't remember many earlier seats, pre 64, being less than 1000 7-10 tears ago.

Those new repos from Europe are well over 1000 aren't they?

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 years ago I had a chance to buy a complete but needing full resto short middle for my '66 for the sum of one '58 beetle. I valued the car at $600 and couldn't trade fast enough. Those seats as repops are well-justified at $800 just in steel form in my opinion, without shipping.

The silly thing about shipping is, I believe the way to sell those seats is partially knocked down. A carton holding frames stacked (a little like lawn chairs) and another carton carrying the spring packs is an easier way to handle shipping. Sure, final assembly would have to happen stateside- but it is a better way to ensure quality (they could PC the frames and paint the spring packs). Let the buyer be responsible for final assembly- just as we are on the hook for the upholstery anyway.

We all settled in to the idea of WW chrome bumpers costing $1000 bucks for just a beetle. An email barrage to Tony is in order.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StockNazi wrote:
67T1 wrote:
you would have closer to 800 bucks in a repo seat when you buy the covers and padding.

I don't remember many earlier seats, pre 64, being less than 1000 7-10 tears ago.

To respond to that last part, I sold an original upholstery '67 only blue seat with some wear but decent with a blue cargo mat for $600 in 2007 on this site - 7 years ago.

I sold a WW repro seat for $505 a few years ago. I bought it for less.

Edit - realized you said pre-64 and I reported a 67 sale - around the time of the '67 sale above I bought several seats of all years off eBay as they were more common then. None were anywhere near $1000. I still have a short '63 seat I bought for $200 but it has a little frame rust.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by EverettB on Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:20 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any of the cost is an investment in the bus and should be considered added value dollar-for-dollar as you would have to subtract that if it were missing. It would be different if it were an accessory and not originally equipped.

I personally threw two full length middle seats in unworn condition away in my lifetime. Those thoughts kick my butt every time I reflect on it.
kenshapiro2002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Any of the cost is an investment in the bus and should be considered added value dollar-for-dollar as you would have to subtract that if it were missing. It would be different if it were an accessory and not originally equipped.

I personally threw two full length middle seats in unworn condition away in my lifetime. Those thoughts kick my butt every time I reflect on it.

That's why they're hard to find...we ALL threw them out back in the 60's because we were partying, not running school buses! Laughing

Looking for '67 Engine / Block HO 183xxx - HO 194xxx
6sixTinBox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well in the mean time I'm running a 3/4 bay seat I picked for $200. Maybe someone will reproduce them one day?

It is what it is
kenshapiro2002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

67T1 wrote:
Well in the mean time I'm running a 3/4 bay seat I picked for $200. Maybe someone will reproduce them one day?

Not as long as they're available for between free and $200!

Looking for '67 Engine / Block HO 183xxx - HO 194xxx
jason t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pic of the original seats in my '67 Kombi. I was fortunate the original owner never used them. Installed them back into the bus in 2013.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KombiMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jason t wrote:
Pic of the original seats in my '67 Kombi. I was fortunate the original owner never used them. Installed them back into the bus in 2013.

Awesome! They look new..... Cool
AndysBusAdventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking for a source to buy middle seat hold downs like the gray ones in the picture. The green ones came with the floor replacement but my 67 has the gray ones. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

KombiMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my repaired middle seat from my '59 deluxe. The only thing missing are the 2/3 back rest springs; they weren't salvagable Sad

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Page 34 of 50

Jump to: