Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Newbie brake question
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
asagodowns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Newbie brake question Reply with quote

Just acquired a 74 Thing, had the local VW mechanic go over the brakes....he replaced wheel cylinders and shoes (front and back)said they were the same as a 74 Beetle, is that the case? I had read that the brake shoes were thing specific.
acidophilusrex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The front ones are definitely the same as a Bug...the front drums are the same part number as a '67 Bug (wide-five-bolt, ball-joint suspension).

The rear? Prrrrrrobably. I've only been able to acquire Bug-ish rear shoes, but the drums can obviously acommodate something much wider. Whether they actually HAD anything that wide, I dunno.

That said, there's nothing actually WRONG with using Bug shoes on the rear...they'll still work fine on the wider, Thing-specific drums.
Touch Nicks Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard that Thing shoes are wider, I've never actually done a test to see. Like he stated there isn't anything wrong with using Beetle brake shoes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mattt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Common misconception....I used to think that also,,,,,till someone showed me better.
The fronts are 67 Bug as stated.
The rears are 181 only, unique wider drum, however, the shoes and backing plates are regular Bug. Drum is wider-increased track width, brake shoes are not.

T-3 rear shoes are wider, but you must use T-3 drums with those.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two original Thing front brake set ups ( $50 each) and one complete Thing rear brake set up ( $125) These are backing plate out to the drums complete. All parts are used and have plenty of life left in them. Buy my parts and dispell all previous myths. Like Mattt, I have learned tons by taking apart fully functional Things. K-mann
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, is the only advantage to having 181 drums on rear of type1, wider track? Are the brake shoes the same size as a type 1? No wider shoes are available, eventhough there is about 7mm additional space for more shoe width?
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wheel607 wrote:
So, is the only advantage to having 181 drums on rear of type1, wider track? Are the brake shoes the same size as a type 1? No wider shoes are available, eventhough there is about 7mm additional space for more shoe width?

The Thing Drums are wider, thicker and contain more heat dissipating ribs. Some time ago VW stop producing the "real' shoes. Regardless of all else, I have one set of real factory Thing brake shoes. They are not the same as the parts now avalable. For me convert to disc brakes using stock VW/Porsche parts, I have it all documented. K-mann
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: