Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

oil spill on cold start-up of engine
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
veedubcrazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:43 am    Post subject: oil spill on cold start-up of engine Reply with quote

well, this is a new one on me and perhaps might have happened to someone else, and if so, how do i fix this problem? I just bulit up my stroker and changed the oil and filter accordingly after proper break-in. soon after cranking the engine to fill galleys of fresh oil and then starting it to put into garage, the pressure built up so much it pegged my oil pressure gauge and popped the oil filter gasket from its seat between the filter and the remote mount. this gasket is the one supplied with the filter. i am using goodyear 300psi hose and a fram hp1 filter. what else can i do to avoid this problem down the road? i lost about half a quart before i shut it down and discovered what had happened. would a super thin coat of silicone on the gasket prevent this or maybe a pressure relief oil pump cover work? thanx, dave. Mad
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One common cause of the filter gasket leaking is due to being too tight. Only hand tight.

Using too thick oil when cold is another cause.

If you're engine is producing too much pressure you'll need to find the cause.

Personally the HP1 is just a PH8A with a thicker can. It's not like they used to be years ago.

I switched to a Canton Mecca cartridge filter. It uses a billet can with a replaceable element. Trust me... you won't burst this one.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Gene Berg oil pressure relief cover and an Oberg oil filter on all my VW's
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
randy2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you have a pressure problem,
I would check oil relief valves make sure there not stuck. It would also be a good thing to check the oil lines for kinks. Make sure every thing is flowing in the proper direction.
veedubcrazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using exxon 10w-30 oil with the filter being hand tight. The temp that day was below 70 degrees. Could be this was a one time event, who knows. I do know that i am using the aftermarket oil spring kit but comapared to the stock springs they arent that much different in pressure. perhaps an oil pump cover wuth a relief valve is the key. dave.
Eaallred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

randy2 wrote:
Sounds like you have a pressure problem,
I would check oil relief valves make sure there not stuck. It would also be a good thing to check the oil lines for kinks. Make sure every thing is flowing in the proper direction.

If it happened with 10w30 oil on a 70 degree day, I would second the relief valves being stuck.

You have to remember something: Everybody pities the weak; Jealousy you have to earn.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My car actualy blew up 2 Fram oil filters on cold mornings. I switched to Napa Gold filters (actually a Wix) and have learned that Fram oil filters suck. Just cut one open and compare to a Wix, Napa, Motorcraft, or Purolator filter and you can see that there is a big diference in the construction.
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purolator L39001, 10-30 weight, 30mm pump with a pressure-relief Berg cover. Been down to -5ºF so far with no problems at all.

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
veedubcrazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all points taken, however, prior to changing oil and filter i didnt have any problems. oil was flowing in right directions and pressure was steady thru-out. i chalk this up to revving the crap out of the motor and possibly sending the pressure sky high. i will switch brands to see if this fixes the problem. cant hurt. i am also going to invest in a oil pump cover with a pressure relief valve. cheap insurance if there was any. i just want to be ready for raceday on may 14 at lufkin, tx. how embarrassing to oil down the track and inconvenience everyone. sheesh! thanx all, dave.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veedubcrazy

TVWDRA race in Lufkin May 14

I might have to cross the Red River and race with you boys.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
veedubcrazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet, vwracerdave. i knew you where a decent kind of guy with the same first name as me. but as of yet i havent beat an okie yet. as for my oil problem spraying, seems that the threaded piece that connects the mount to the filter was too long so i trimmed it a tad shorter. the filter was screwing into the knurled part and not letting it go any further. so now you know the rest of the story.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: