Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering Column Play
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
asagodowns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Steering Column Play Reply with quote

Working on my first Thing....steering wheel and column move around (up and down), I took the steering wheel off and the combo (turn signal, wiper switch) trim to expose the steering column (shaft)...it moves around inside of steering tube (feels secure at bottom...all of the movement is at the top part of the tube).... am I missing a bushing or something? I will post pics to the gallery.
Thanks for all of your help!
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are missing or have a worn or damaged upper column shaft bushing. Here is what www.aircooled.net sells to solve your issue.

Steering Column Bearing, 72 and Newer T-1

Price: $ 24.95
Part #: SSG0015
The original bearing was plastic, and this gets hard and cracks, leaving you with a steering wheel that bounces all over the place! This is a new OEM bearing, all METAL, to solve this problem!
Installation is easy, just remove the steering wheel and 4 screws for the TS Switch, and it's right there!
K-mann
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
asagodowns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks K-mann....is this the same bearing that Things Unlimited and German Motor Works sells for $45 #111 953 559 C? My bearing appears to be fine....I ordered #111 953 535 D (anti rattle ring )from WCM for $6.50...I also noticed in the Thing parts list a spacer sleeve #171 419 549, dont know if mine should have this or not....if so I haven't found anyone that sells them. Any ideas or help is appreciated.
asagodowns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just installed the new bearing from Aircooled and it did not solve the problem ....it seems as if there should be a spacer or something....anyone have a clue?
Thanks!!
radioman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kmann: I have the same loose and rattlely column problem in my 73. Is the bearing a 74 specific part? Or a Thing both 73 and 74? Anybody ever replaced theirs? Evidently the part didn't fix asagodowns problem...if I am reading his post correctly. Advice??? Confused
radioman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for coming back. What is the differnce in the spacer sleeve (shown in my parts book) and the bearing that asagodowns refers to. Confused
thingman74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: loose steering wheel Reply with quote

hey guys i had the same problem on my 74....the anti rattle bushing that slides over the steering shaft must go into the bearing.... what i did was to just slide the plastic bushing just far enough on the shaft that it would hold and then slide the colum tube with the bearing down over it ....that way the rattle pece slides down at the same time when i slid the plastic part all the way down , mine was not making complet contact with the bearing.....i hope this helps ya.......
asagodowns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received the anti-rattle bushing #111-535D from WCM...it appears that this may solve the problem....thanks Thingman74 for the advice.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you have the pressed metal distance piece between the column and the metal bearing?

the link below is for a bus, but the principle is the same. the distance piece is #36, the bearing #10.

on a thing, the distance piece is a piece of thin corrugated stainless steel, it crushes slightly when inserted into the bearing and holds the column tight enough to prevent any movement. i have never seen a plastic bush (like the WCM part) inside a thing steering column.
asagodowns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott,
I'm not sure what the distance is between the bearing and the tube wall....I just know that I have a fair amount of play there....is this thin piece of stainless steel available? The bearing I put in from Aircooled is identical to the bearing I removed....however, it is not Thing specific. Things unlimited and GMW's sell a Thing specific bearing for $45....I wonder if they are different...maybe theres comes with the insert. I am going to try the anti-rattle bushing from WCM to see if it works. I'm also having Mike Basso send out a new bearing and t/s w/s assembly to ensure and inevitable fix. I will keep you guys posted.
Thanks for the help!
Rick
radioman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott: I am not sure I understand. I have a rattly column too but have not take the wheel off to look at what I see. But to fix this problem...with whatever parts end up correct...do I have to remove the tube and the steering column...or can you fix it from the top with the steering wheel off? Confused
asagodowns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just fixed mine...all you need is a new bearing from Mike Basso at Things Unlimited its $45...the bearing has a plastic insert, it works perfectly. I will post pic later.
asagodowns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a pic of the correct bearing from Things Unlimited

honky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: anti rattle bushing Reply with quote

I posted a new topic regarding installing a anti rattle bushing in my steering column

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1757765#1757765
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: