Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Paint ?s
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bugkiller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:46 am    Post subject: Paint ?s Reply with quote

Hi,
who here paints there own cars? Could someone please explain how difficult and what is involved in a simple 2 step gloss paint job? Is it very difficult to get it to look good?
VeeDubJohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dust is the enemy. That and water or oil in your air lines. If you have a decent air compressor, a decent spray gun and a good auto body supply house near by, there is no reason you shouldn't be able to get good results. We did my dad's Corvette a few years back and it looks great. There are some spots where dust settled in, but overall it's a beautiful car.

You should do some reading. Start with John Henrey's page:

http://www.thebugshop.org/bsfqpnt.htm
Bugkiller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what kind of mask would need to be worn when working with urethan paints and clear coats? I want to be completely safe but wouldn't want to pay more than maybe $150 for a good mask. Thanks, Bugkiller.
74Standard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugkiller wrote:
what kind of mask would need to be worn when working with urethan paints and clear coats? I want to be completely safe but wouldn't want to pay more than maybe $150 for a good mask. Thanks, Bugkiller.

Buy a good mask with filters that are made for paint... Paint is a kiiler in lungs, never paint without one not even primer. You can get one from a good paint shop, you can get a real good one for $150 with a full face mask. I wouldn't recomend you buy one from Home Depot (the filters are basically "dust" filters, buy one from a paint shop (auto).

You are right to want to be completely safe, and don't let anyone convince you "it's ok because you don't do it every day" That's BS TOTAL!!! (my dad owns a body shop back home) I would even invest in one of the jump suits if you plan on doing it for awhile, It will save you on some clothes, and paint is obsorbed by the pours in your skin (at least wear long sleeves).
Bugkiller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But would a $150 mask protect good enough to not harm me at all? I plan to use urethane paint and clear coat. As for a jump suit could I just use the disposable $20 white ones and long sleeves and gloves? Thanks, Bugkiller.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: