Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Where are the people that know about SO-33's?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tlaama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Where are the people that know about SO-33's? Reply with quote

Are there many working on restoring a SO-33 ? I have two 1963 SO-33's ,one I got from Lind and another just bought on from a guy here in Florida and I am also converting a 1963 flip seat body to a SO-33 interior . I am trying to figure out for certain the proper original cargo door panel color. I know it is not the birch wood like the interior. I think it is the same color as the SO-34 cargo door panels which is off white with a hint of pink but not sure. Anybody know?
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Where are the people that know about SO-33's? Reply with quote

tlaama wrote:
Are there many working on restoring a SO-33 ? I have two 1963 SO-33's ,one I got from Lind and another just bought on from a guy here in Florida and I am also converting a 1963 flip seat body to a SO-33 interior . I am trying to figure out for certain the proper original cargo door panel color. I know it is not the birch wood like the interior. I think it is the same color as the SO-34 cargo door panels which is off white with a hint of pink but not sure. Anybody know?

As far as I know SO34's had birch door panels and the SO35's had a white laminate door panel and a birch one.

SO33
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/63campers/page9.jpg

SO34
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/63campers/page13.jpg

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tlaama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: Pictures of the SO-23 sub-hatch are rare Reply with quote

The Mosiac picture in your link is around here and there but the interior of a SO-33 , not of the mosiac type ,at least from the literature is not around anywhere that I have seen. I have a picture of my family bus that I posted on the Split gallery and the panels appear light ,more like the SO-34 than birch. Joe Crockett has an SO-34 and he has the light off white color panels in stead of the birch. I asked him once about whether there was any wood grain in his cargo door panels and he said none. I would love to see a picture of a restored SO-33.
Flipseat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I got my 61 so-34 the panels were all wood just like the headliner, including the cargo door panels and the front door panels. They were badly water damaged unfortunately, but I believe them to have been original.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There it is both ways. Joe's '65 has the painted panels I think? I think Watermans 64 Sunroof Westy has a painted panel as well. I think I've only seen two flipseat 34's with the painted panel(s) , one being Joe's. It appears to be a random thing at best.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hella Bro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason for the different cargo door panels could also be for which market was the bus intended, Euro or US. Ive seen OG Euro Flipseats with the white paneling on the cargo and front door panels as well.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/189478.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/189479.jpg
There it is both ways. Joe's '65 has the painted panels I think? I think Watermans 64 Sunroof Westy has a painted panel as well. I think I've only seen two flipseat 34's with the painted panel(s) , one being Joe's. It appears to be a random thing at best.

Mark's sunroof is a '66 SO-42. his '64 is an SO-33, and it is very original.

the difference between the SO-33 kit and the Mosaik kit is that the Mosaik was intended to be installed into a microbus by the owner of the bus. the SO-33 was installed into a kombi at the westfalia factory. thus the Mosaik kit uses the microbus interior panles and has no hatch.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
crofty wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/189478.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/189479.jpg

Mark's sunroof is a '66 SO-42. his '64 is an SO-33, and it is very original.

Damn, you got me! I knew the kit was a '66 but I forgot if the bus was as well. It was kinda dark when I ralphed on it at Dillon's. Oh, maybe I shouldn't have said that. I don't think he's on here anyways..

HamburgerBrad wrote:

tlaama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Why is there so little interest in the SO-33?? Reply with quote

Seems people love the SO-23's and the SO-34's and I see them restored around here and there-but few SO-33's and I have yet to see even a picture of a restored one. Is anybody working on a SO-33? And one last thing -I have no interoir cabinet mirror for my SO-33 closet and have a guy that has offered to make a tracing from a SO-23 closet mirror. They look the same in pictures.Anybody know if the mirrors are the same size and shape?
Kommercial
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yah, where ARE all the so33 experts?????
Here is a page I made assembling all so22/so33 info I have gathered-
https://dropgates.com/so33/

I just found one and have another one on the way so I'm seeking info.
the more i look, the more I see so33/Mosaik info is sparse, especially in the CAMPER ID thread. If we can get more info gathered here I'll add it to the first thread. One question I am looking at, was so33 supposed to have the mirror on the inside or outside of the closet door. You can see the screw heads in some pics meaning it was mounted inside. Others on outside. Same hardware as a so23.

Heres some good pics of a so33 that appears to be pretty complete:

heres a worn down og one- note the closet door mirror screws which make it appear as though it was mounted on the inside.

Here's another- looks to be og dove blue inside

Last edited by Kommercial on Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:34 am; edited 7 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tlaama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:01 pm    Post subject: I love those pictures SO-33's Reply with quote

That wrecked one was just outstanding.Don't know if it is fixable. It has those off white panels on the cargo doors.Those are the correct ones I think . I also understood the mosiac to be an SO-33 interior that was removable and had no sub hatch. It was the regular non mosaic that had the sub hatch.Lind had one laying aroung from 1963 and I bought it from him and shipped it to FLorida.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a all orig 63 so33 witth the hatch even had og paint.
I ended cutting it up as there was nothing but bad rot on the botom foot of the car. The bus would have needed 2 grand in panel Plus labor.to fix.
I used the interior a few time in my 67. All the cabnets used hooks and clips to install and nothing even rubed up aganst the side panels. It was a cool interior. I think the only diffrence in the mozak and and factory so33 is the wood panels and hatch. All the cabnets are mounted the same.
Sadly I sold the interior as my 55 was done and the 59 was getting close. still love to add a good 63 so33 to the heard on day.
I have not seen that many on the road or restored in fac the 63 I had was the only one i have seen in person.
maybe they are rare now like the 58 are. I rember when there was lots of 58 interiors for sale seemed like a dime a dozen Now there all gone.
i thought they were common.
Kommercial
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, when he said 'hatch', I wasn't thinking of the roof hatch. Ok *Both the so33's i found have the subhatch, one is two tone turkis/blue white factory kombi, the other is a SWR Kombi. So lind, do you have any documentation or anything saying that Westfalia never installed so-33's in standards, only Kombi's?

Last edited by Kommercial on Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kommercial wrote:
Oh, when he said 'hatch', I wasn't thinking of the roof hatch. Ok *Both the so33's i found have the subhatch, one is two tone turkis/ blue white factory kombi, the other is a SWR Kombi. So lind, do you have any documentation or anything saying that Westfalia never installed so-33's in standards, only Kombi's?

as far as I know, all of the westfalias that were ordered through volkswagen and sold through the dealer network were kombis. some were two toned kombis. westfalia would convert any bus that you brought them, their contract with volkswagen was not exclusive. if it is M-coded as a SO-33 (A33, B33, etc...) then it is a factory westfalia conversion. if it is not M-coded, then it could be a private conversion through westfalia or a Mosaik kit installed into whatever model it is.

the SO-33 was the less common kit in the years that it was available ('62-'65)
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hella Bro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tlaama thats funny I was talking to Roscoe last night about your thread. Roscoe owns the turquois/white camper that are in the pics. Yes it is fixable and that's what he intends on doing as soon as he get the proper donor parts.
Kommercial
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lind wrote:

as far as I know, all of the westfalias that were ordered through volkswagen and sold through the dealer network were kombis. some were two toned kombis. westfalia would convert any bus that you brought them, their contract with volkswagen was not exclusive. if it is M-coded as a SO-33 (A33, B33, etc...) then it is a factory westfalia conversion. if it is not M-coded, then it could be a private conversion through westfalia or a Mosaik kit installed into whatever model it is.

Ok, then the next question is- how often have you seen Kombis get the 'white knob treatment' by Westfalia?
tlaama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:42 am    Post subject: Talking to Roscoe last night re wrecked S0-33 Reply with quote

SO Roscoe is the guy that owns that wrecked So-33. Its an excellent example of an SO-33 . How did the bus roll down a hill and crash. If that happened to me I would be devestated. I work in an office of 25 people and they played a mean Aprils foos joke on me. I have been working on my bus restoration for the last 1 1/2 years and it is with the painter all prepared for painting.A detective called me said a fire broke out and my bus is on the list of the damaged ones and he asked me to come by the shop immediately to identify which of the burnt up vehicles was mine. When I walked to my car they all jumped out and yelled April Fools. My mean wife was in on it too. Cruel people.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kommercial wrote:
Lind wrote:

Ok, then the next question is- how often have you seen Kombis get the 'white knob treatment' by Westfalia?

Pretty much every dove blue SO42 I've seen has that treatment. I think most of them did, actually.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

Hella Bro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing you get the white knob when you get the white wheel on the westfalia's.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hella Bro wrote:
I'm guessing you get the white knob when you get the white wheel on the westfalia's.

Yep and shifter, ebrake ect.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: