Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Demello or DPR Machine who would you use to stroke a crank?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwdragracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was talked into using a DPR crank ONCE (NEVER AGAIN) after the motor seized TWICE. I sent it to DMS to get checked out. crank was found to have a crack as well as 2 rod journals that were larger at one side than the other. The dealer I bought the crank from INSISTED i allow him to send it to DPR for inspection. 2 weeks later I recieved the same crank back with a note. "polished rod journals. nothing else wrong with crank" needles to say ... I'll never buy/use another DPR crank again.
craigman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me personally, i'd rather use a china crank over a Demello. A buddy of mine had a Demello crank in his 2007. It kept eating bearings untill they found out that it was bent. Motor was professionally built by local builder.
But this is only what i've seen. It sounds like most people have had good luck with them. Maybe this one just slipped thru the cracks one day.
Anyways, just my $.02 worth.
Craig
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Willis
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only use DeMello. If you have a good crank, just send it to them
die schwarzen Schafe #666
RIS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigman wrote:
Me personally, i'd rather use a china crank over a Demello.

Nobody is perfect, but that is a bold statement!
Instagram: @rismachine
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
craigman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIS wrote:
craigman wrote:
Me personally, i'd rather use a china crank over a Demello.

Nobody is perfect, but that is a bold statement!

RIS,
it's not a "bold" statement. This just has been MY experience.
I myself have seen three "china" cranks used without any problems at all. And i am currently using a "china" 69mm c/w crank with no issues as of yet.
But like i said, the one and only Demello crank i have seen in use was bad. The motor was put together by a professional shop that builds motors and sells parts worldwide.
But like i said, it could have definately slipped thru quality inspection one day. Thats pretty easy if you factor in human error.
Like i said, this is only what i have personally seen.
Take it for what you want.
Craig
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bugman Jeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats the average cost of a DPR/DMS crank?
TroyG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craigman

I would like to know who the builder of this 2007 motor you keep referring to. Sounds to me either your buddy or the builder dropped the crank or ran over it with a tank.

You obviuos have not seen a post that was going around last week regarding a motor that exploded on me with a DEMELLOW crank in it.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=201503
When I pulled the rest of the motor apart I sent the crank into Bob to have it checked out. Before sending it to him I called him and told him who I was and showed him the pictures that you are looking at. He told me that most likely the crank would be cracked or bent so bad it would not be repairable. He also said the crank looked like it had been through world war 1,2,korea,nawm & desert storm so don't be supprised if you have to start over with a new one.

Well I was supprised to find out after all the beating it took when the motor let loose, the only thing that was wrong with it was it was bent .005 and the jurnals needed cleaning up.

PUT YOUR CHINA JAP CRANK THROUGH THAT AND THEN WILL TALK.

I have listen to you wine and mouth off about your buudys motor long enough. Its not your motor and you were not there when it was built.

What happen to the crank after it left Bob's shop?
Shipping?
Delivery?
Your Buddy's handling?
Your builders Handling?
Did his builder use the correct bearings?
Was the crank set on the dowel pens correct?
Over torqued?
Under torqued?
Rods balanced?
Flywheel balanced?
You say it keep eating bearings how many time did the builder rebuild the motor before he thought, man there may be a problem here.
A real professional engine builder would have found it the first time round not just keep putting it back togeather.

In closing don't speak unless you have first hand experiance and its your parts and you built the motor because theres no way you could know.

DeMellow Cranks are without a doubt one of the BEST on the market.
That my opinion but what do I know. ( I BUILD MY OWN RACE ENGINES )
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
craigman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TroyG wrote:
Craigman

I would like to know who the builder of this 2007 motor you keep referring to. Sounds to me either your buddy or the builder dropped the crank or ran over it with a tank.

You obviuos have not seen a post that was going around last week regarding a motor that exploded on me with a DEMELLOW crank in it.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=201503
When I pulled the rest of the motor apart I sent the crank into Bob to have it checked out. Before sending it to him I called him and told him who I was and showed him the pictures that you are looking at. He told me that most likely the crank would be cracked or bent so bad it would not be repairable. He also said the crank looked like it had been through world war 1,2,korea,nawm & desert storm so don't be supprised if you have to start over with a new one.

Well I was supprised to find out after all the beating it took when the motor let loose, the only thing that was wrong with it was it was bent .005 and the jurnals needed cleaning up.

PUT YOUR CHINA JAP CRANK THROUGH THAT AND THEN WILL TALK.

I have listen to you wine and mouth off about your buudys motor long enough. Its not your motor and you were not there when it was built.

What happen to the crank after it left Bob's shop?
Shipping?
Delivery?
Your Buddy's handling?
Your builders Handling?
Did his builder use the correct bearings?
Was the crank set on the dowel pens correct?
Over torqued?
Under torqued?
Rods balanced?
Flywheel balanced?
You say it keep eating bearings how many time did the builder rebuild the motor before he thought, man there may be a problem here.
A real professional engine builder would have found it the first time round not just keep putting it back togeather.

In closing don't speak unless you have first hand experiance and its your parts and you built the motor because theres no way you could know.

DeMellow Cranks are without a doubt one of the BEST on the market.
That my opinion but what do I know. ( I BUILD MY OWN RACE ENGINES )

Wow Troy, didn't know you took things soo personally.
Like i said earlier, this has only been my experience. I even stated that the crank could have slipped pass quality inspection that day. Things happen. People make mistakes.
I wasn't "whining" i was responding to a post. And in every post i made, i didn't degrade anyone, i was simply just stateing what i have personally seen. There was never any disrepect towards anyone. If you take it that way, that's your problem.
By the post you made in reply to NSR, (which by his post, i seem to agree with alot of what he says) which was, "My God we finally agree on something" seems like you have a hard time agreeing with anyone. Hmm,, personal problems maybe?
Anyway, like i said before, i never mean disrespect towards any post. The starter of this post was asking about DMS and DPR cranks. I was just offering what i have personally seen and experienced. Thats one of the great things about the internet and places like the Samba. People can ask questions about certain items and get peoples "opinions".
Again, take it for what you will. If you have any more problems, your more that welcome to PM me.
Craig
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread has turned into a Ford vs. Chevy pissing match.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
TroyG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwr
Your right and im sorry for getting into it.
DeMellow makes a great product is all I should have said.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
craigman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugman Jeff wrote:
Whats the average cost of a DPR/DMS crank?

Jeff,
here's DeMellos's price list page: http://www.demellocranks.com/Price%20List,%202006.htm
69mm c/w welded crank is $125 and a 82mm c/w crank is $325
I don't have a web address for the other brand.
Hope this helps!
Craig
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

old post but what the hell. Ive got an 78 dpr on the way and was wondering just what to do. clickrerreerrrrrrrrrrrrsnap ! ok the top of the can of openion worms is open to the masses.hmm ever notice there are asses in the middle of the masses?? I'm fixen to build another stroker, why I dont know, board I reckon, or just plain nuts. my 2028 has a new case(last year) wedge port mofoco 042 heads.scat cast 78.8 crank str8 gears,thin slip in berg 90.5 cylinders(slip into machine 88 holes).the spair motor I qam fixen to build I was going to us an old as 41 stroker clearanced 60 linebore,70 thrust.case.and what ever heads I come up with. I have a new set of AA pistons92's. the scat crank was in thei linebored case for 5 years as a 1874,(87mmx78.Cool worked great. so what my brain is trying to figure out now is.do I put the dpr crank in the linebored case with the 90.5 pistons? and put the 92's in the new case with the scat cast crank that scat says good for 150 hp. or put the dpr crank in the new case with the 92mm pistons,and turn the linebored case into the 2028?and build a set of heads for it? hmm what to do? has any body had any problems with the volkstrokerIII 78.8 cranks? I have run this very hard for about 6 years and always with good oil.there was no wear at all last year when I tor it appart to change the case &use biger cylinders.. I reckon what I am pondering on is this dpr crank all that much better than the cast scat? If I use the dpr in the new case I will probably use a 5.5 rod so I dont have to cut the cylinders shorter like I did the 90.5's..
hopefuly when the crank gets hear by looking at it and checking it out that will help in the dission. so reach in the can and pull out some worms and lets hear your thoughts. I like a good debate even when the masters are involved .
RockCrusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a welded DPR? If so.....tighter deck than your cast crank.

RC

I will be happy to speak to anyone who has a serious inquiry (meaning real potential business for RC enterprises) or a parts order. Due to machining noise causing missed calls all calls will be returned promptly.
jbbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished running the 24 hours of LeMons race on New Years Eve, running a 74mm DPR Crank/flywheel combo. We RACED this motor continuously for 24 hours, and logged over 1200 miles on it without Any Mechanical issues on the entire car. The motor performed flawlessly.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

69 OG paint Transporter
73' Super Beetle Champcar Endurance Roadracer
Patina my ass, that's a Rust Bucket!

Last edited by jbbugs on Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
baked beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must add if someone were to logically look over this thread they would understand that BOTH DPR and DMS crankshaft are both very good cranks for the money. Human error comes into play on both sides and that is all.

China Cranks 3rd. LOL
57' Theirs
63' Hers
62' Drag Bug - Theirs 13.1 @ 101 mph (GONE)
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how much tighter than +.003?? with .040 copper head gadget
and this thing just got hear. Im looking at it now, not imperssed at all.If someone had brought this into my shop I probably would of told them to throw it away. stuposidly it has been balanced by dpr when they did it. so I reckon I probably should not "clean "it up any. I dont know if I have seen worse or not, but I reckon it aint the looks that count. but dam,I wish I still had a balancer.this thing would go on a diet and get a makeover.they dont stamp a date or sr# on these things? just dpr 78. I reckon drilling the throws would be to much to ask for or lead in trough's.ow well, it's mine. it's the first one I have had my eyes on(welded counter weight &welded stroker).now to figure out what to do with it. all used used parts or slighty used ,great almost new used parts.
and for richard petty, did you have fun??? where did you place? what's in your motor? 74 is kinda short stroke but it still helps out a bunch.

I gess I should of started a new thread scat volkstrokerIII cast vs a dpr welded stroker
bartman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a dpr 78. It's stamped DPR 78 and nothing else. It's been balanced but that didn't really matter as I had my entire rotating assembly balanced as a unit. This should be done anyway to eliminate tolerance stack.

It's a welded stroker so it looks like it's been welded on but the journals are the right size and they're where they should be so appearance really isn't an issue with me. I can't even see it now that the engine's together
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup I know , I reckon I am just a tad spoild from all the crower cranks,rods,rockers,cams & lanauti cranks& lifters & bryant cranks,but mostly a pile of crower cranks that have gone out my shop. I have realy never seen any thing like this in my life well 1 effed up wanna be promod crank that had 1/4"x 6"long the width of the counter weight, strap steel welded to the counter weight for balancing(morons must of never heard of tungstin slugs.)came into our shop,and went back out. and if I remember corectly it was a 4.75 stroke .
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbbugs wrote:
I just finished running the 24 hours of LeMons race on New Years Eve, running a 74mm DPR Crank/flywheel combo. We RACED this motor continuously for 24 hours, and logged over 1200 miles on it without Any Mechanical issues on the entire car. The motor performer flawlessly.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

JB,
Your car makes me smile. Somehow a colorful Herbie comes to mind. I know I know way different years. I dont care though.

My first crank is an 82mm Scat crank. No problems, spec-ed out all fine. If the price were right Id probably buy another one with no second questions nor doubts. But now I normally only buy, suggest and run DPR cranks. The quality and inspection before they are sent out gives me peace of mind. If Jose was out of xx crank, Id go and buy a Demello crank with no questions nor any doubts. Cause I know Bob pays attention as well. These are both professionals at what they do. There is no real comparison.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
DarthWeber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
Im looking at it now, not imperssed at all.

Ask Jake Raby what he thinks of DPR crankshafts!
Swapped the Compufire for a Bosch blue and some points I had sitting around, started 1st crank. Took her out for a drive, pulls harder, more RPM, and runs smoother. I think I'll be sticking with points from now on.

RockCrusher wrote:
JB weld the case halves....that'll keep the fretting to a minimum. Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: