Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Demello or DPR Machine who would you use to stroke a crank?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RockCrusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth Mark, The Demello cranks aren't that well prepped either.....

The balance holes are not deburred, The lube holes are full of crud AND no oil troughs. Like any other part...you have to do good prep and cleaning....but they are accurate.

RC

I will be happy to speak to anyone who has a serious inquiry (meaning real potential business for RC enterprises) or a parts order. Due to machining noise causing missed calls all calls will be returned promptly.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know there good cranks.if they wernt they would not still be doing if,and have so many satisfied costomers bragging about them. but a $12.00 an hour kid with a little training and a body grinder/sidegrinder/flapwheel/whatever& a die grinder could do 3 cranks an hour prepping them for balancing. witch should only add $ 20.00 to the crank(but should be $6.00)and have a nicer product. but then it would not cut through the oil like it does with all these sharp edges. and these things dont make very much horse power any way so I dont see overpowering it.. I just wasent prepared for what these welded counterweight stroker cranks looked like seeing the crank with my eyes& holding it are a lot differnt then a pic. now I need to figure out just what parts are going to go with it.
donald.lemay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my DPR in the mail real quick and I'm on the east coast. I never expected that.
scrivyscriv Premium Member
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Revisiting this discussion... Anyone care to share/elaborate on recent experiences with DPR & DMS?

I don't think there's been any new topics or info on them posted since about 2011; but Raby commented on my build thread saying he stopped using DPR in 2012. When an engine master gives free advice, you had better listen!
Everything I have read in the past puts the two shops neck-and-neck. I would just really hate to build around a crankshaft and end up regretting it.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raul arrese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
Revisiting this discussion... Anyone care to share/elaborate on recent experiences with DPR & DMS?

I don't think there's been any new topics or info on them posted since about 2011

I just recently had both in my hands and used the DPR , it checked out perfectly and the quality in the welding and finish was superior , the demmelo wasn't even completely welded around the counter weights .
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 74 DPR for a future project, and it is beautiful. I bought it balanced with a flywheel, and that is a great deal.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is another current thread on these crankshafters. ill stick with the china 1 peice untill I can again afford a crower crank.(but putting a crower crank in a vw may be about one of the bigest waste of a crower part ever.but with money to burn......why not.)
scrivyscriv Premium Member
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, can you link the thread here?
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ONEBADBUG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DMS jerked me around. Finally got my parts _ full of metal filings. They drilled the rod small end oil holes AFTER reaming the bushings, so there were jagged edges I had to file down.
raul arrese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
there is another current thread on these crankshafters. ill stick with the china 1 peice untill I can again afford a crower crank.(but putting a crower crank in a vw may be about one of the bigest waste of a crower part ever.but with money to burn......why not.)

Yeah I wouldn't mind a crower either ..
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

esde wrote:
I have a 74 DPR for a future project, and it is beautiful. I bought it balanced with a flywheel, and that is a great deal.

what makes a crank 'beautiful?
Have you mic'ed it? Tolerance/dimensions? Hardness/surface finish etc?

Or is it just shiny?
livemixman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off- long time lurker, first time poster

...I bought a 69mm counter-weighted German crank/lightened flywheel combo from DPR. This is my first engine build:

1776cc
Rimco AS41 Super Case full-flowed/ opened to 90.5
DPR 69mm counter-weighted crank
Engle W110
DPR 8-dowelled lightened flywheel
Kennedy Stage 1 Clutch
New Stock Rods
Mahle 90.5 Pistons and cylinders
Dual Dellorto DRLA36's
CB Space-Saver Manifolds
CB Hex-bar linkage
Auto Linea 40 x 35.5 heads port-matched by DRD
CB 1 1/2" Flanged Pro-Flow Street system
36HP Dog House fan shroud (I'm going to add thermostat and flaps)
Leaning towards Bosch 010 from Mr. Ring

I'm a Philly guy, but have family in OC. On one visit I was tooling around and dropped by DPR's shop in Santa Ana. Jose was very helpful and went the extra mile...he knew I was a noob, but still took the time to walk me around the shop and show me the machining process. Way cool experience as a hobbyist. He made sure I got all the appropriate bearings for the crank I was getting. I ended up having him balance the rotating assembly. I'm on what will hopefully be my last "mock" build. I have no doubt that the performance of my first engine will def have been helped by Jose. I'll be sure to post a vid when I get it going.

DPR= Good dudes
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWCOOL wrote:
esde wrote:

what makes a crank 'beautiful?
Have you mic'ed it? Tolerance/dimensions? Hardness/surface finish etc?

Or is it just shiny?

The overall finish is very, very nice. It was spotless when I unwrapped it, the journals are very finely polished, and every edge (except the bearing journals) has been de burred. My machine shop was skeptical that a welded crank would be perfectly straight, so I let them check it out. Everything mic'd out perfectly, they were impressed.
Hustlers67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking at using either of these machined cranks.. they both shops have good reputations from the looks of this thread.

Quick query:

At what point are the A or B mahle pistons required?

I understand it is for stroker crankshafts - but for example, can 90.5 A pistons and cylinders work with a 74mm crank?

Cheers
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is not an exact rule but IMO at 78 stroke is the switch point where you can go either way.

A "b" piston is the right size to use a 78-80 stroke crank with no spacers under cylinders.

Both make good cranks. Use DPR if there are time constraints.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Demello one that looks like crap-crappy welds and grinding all over.

I have seen lots of DPRs and talked to Jose face to face at Sac Bugorama many times-I would buy from him when I need to get another one.
77charger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have used dpr cranks twice one was for my 1914 decided to go bigger in middle of my build when i got a good deal on a fresh 82mm dpr for 250 bucks.

I put the 69mm dpr i just had polished for sale and it sold the first day on here.
Auto linea alm case,82 dpr crank wedgemated by DK machine
cb 5.4 h beams,12 pound DPR f/w,Slr xv294cam,cb straight cuts,hpmx 44s,40x35 heads ported by brothers machine
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crap! This thing is back to life?
Both DMS and DPR make good welded crankshafts.

It has been a long while since this thread and here we are again. But considering the prices now and how good the new 'forgings' have come along, I am w/ Craigman - I will rather use a NEW -fresh China crank over a welded one given the prices now.

I still have my old Demello 78mm w/ 11/32 dowellings matched to a nice flywheel. It is so beautiful have not the heart to use it.

I also have a DPR 78mm that I do not mind parting w/. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
troy terrillion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject: DMS Reply with quote

Anyone heard on how Bob at DMS is doing? I cannot seem to get ahold of him. With all that he has gone through over the last several years, would just like to know if anyone has gone by his shop and seen him. Not like him to not return calls etc. Would not mind getting my project finished also. He is usually "Johnny on the spot". Sad
frostbite36
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Demello or DPR Machine who would you use to stroke a crank? Reply with quote

This thread is funny...

I have a DMR custom stroke crank. Welded, CW, Heat treated, balanced T-1 crank. It lived in a desert race car for 3 seasons living at 3500-5000 RPM for several thousand race and play miles. The motor was built by one if the three big vw desert race builders, not to name names.

The engine clearly went through hell and finally lost a rod bearing. I'm rebuilding it myself this time. When I tore it down, I was surprised how "ugly" the DMR crank looked, in general, from a fabrication point of view...It kinda looks like junk.

It did survive, but I think my builder really gouged me on cost! It's definately not one of DPR's pretty gun-drilled full circle race cranks and my builder charged me like it was!! I'm sending it back to DPR for rehab...maybe I can get Jose to clean it up.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: