Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Demello or DPR Machine who would you use to stroke a crank?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Demello or DPR Machine who would you use to stroke a crank? Reply with quote

I want to stroke a stock German forged crank 78mm and am considering using either Demello or DPR. I would like any feedback from people who have used either or both. Thanks
Alan_U
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a full circle 84mm DMS crank that is awesome!!! I've also just ordered a DPR 84mm german welded crank too. The DPR one is for a second shortblock I want on hand for the heck of it. Both in my opinion are great products. DMS will more than likely take longer.

If your getting it wedgemated the DPR wedgemate is definitely a harder one to separate from the crank and flywheel compared to the DMS wedgemate.

Both will be extremely hard to break. Since they are both german welded cranks you'll have absolutely no issues on heating a straight cut and dropping it on the crank. Also the gland nut end threads are "typically" perfect and flawless.

Some chinese forged cranks (depending on where the machining has been done..US or china) may have bad quality control. There are times where the cheap forged cranks can be off .002 - .003 off on the area where the crank gear goes onto. Depending on murphy's law that may become a serious problem if the heated crank gear is dropped onto the crank and not fully seated. Siezing may occur and have fun pressing it off. German strokers will almost never have stupid problems like that.

If Bob Demello at DMS has it in stock get one from him. If not Jose at DPR will more than likely have it on the shelf.

No more time for VW's.......
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
randy2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used several DPR cranks all where of excellent quality.

I have also herd good things about DMS.

Both have a good reputation for quality cranks.
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

850+ DPR cranks for me..

They are all I use
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
steel buggin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use DPR cranks 150 + never have had a problem but I have many friends that deal with DMS and they only have good things to say so I would say your in good hand with both DPR & DMS.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SVW-054
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Some chinese forged cranks (depending on where the machining has been done..US or china) may have bad quality control. There are times where the cheap forged cranks can be off .002 - .003 off on the area where the crank gear goes onto.

So does this refer to the $300-$350 cranks from the likes of CB, Scat etc? Is a welded stroker a better/stronger crank than say a CB super race nitrided crank, due to the welded stroker being a german forging?

I've read of so many stroker engines in magazines but rarely do you see CB cranks being used, which is surprising given the price ($280 from serrano's), so are DMS / DPR cranks a better bet?
Bugkiller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would a DPR/DMS welded stroker be stronger than a Scat Volksracer($300+ forged ones)? Please answer, and thanks, Bugkiller.
steel buggin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's put it this way Jose owner of DPR alway's show me these's cranks brokin or damaged we laugh together I am sure you can get good life out of them but I rather not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bugkiller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That scares me a little bit.... Thanks for the heads up! Shocked
steel buggin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can get the same cranks that CB, Serrano sell's for 190.00 from the source but I really don't have the time to sit in front of my computer for hours at a time to answer all the e-mail and deal with the shipping to make 50-90.00 a pop when I can do what I love and make real good money build engine's.
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jose at DPR has a superior product...

His crankshaft (43mm stroke) has held up to a 15,000 RPM engine in a Salt Flats racer....

It is based from a STOCK Type IV crank.
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SVW-054
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have a website address for DPR, I can't find anything for DPR thats VW related with Google... Confused
Alan_U
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SVW-054 wrote:
Anyone have a website address for DPR, I can't find anything for DPR thats VW related with Google... Confused

DPR Machine
2121 S Susan Street Unit B
Santa Ana, CA 92704

phone 714.979.7441

No more time for VW's.......
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
steel buggin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give DPR a call talk to Jose He is alway's going the extra mile for me I even meet with him half way on his way home from the shop to pick up my cranks saves me time and money he's a great guy.Thank you
73notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got my crank from DPR, they are of very good quality, i can vouch for that. when i was there, he was always willing to help me out on my project and answer any of my questions. jose=good guy Smile
DZNUTTS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much does DPR sell their 82mm cranks?
Just wondering, Hopefully I got a chance to call them 2morrow.
I also read nothing but good about both DPR and DMS.
jamestwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DPR
Ann Mezger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SVW-054 wrote:
I've read of so many stroker engines in magazines but rarely do you see CB cranks being used, which is surprising given the price ($280 from serrano's), so are DMS / DPR cranks a better bet?

How is it surprising that the cars your reading about don't use cheap cranks? Yes a DMS crank is "the better bet" for high quality.

Between the 2, I would definitely choose DeMello over DPR. DMS is the only crank we'll run in our engines & the only machine shop I trust when it comes to grinding, wedgemating, etc. on VW parts. They are extremely precise & thorough. They are also the only cranks I have ever seen turn for over 100,000 miles & some twice that long. (that's not to say another crank won't last that long - just what I have personally seen) It's also the only crank I've seen handle over 500 HP for over 6 years of hard use on the street & track. Keep in mind, I'm talking about a full circle, counter weighted DMS crank - not the cheap economy crank. There IS a difference.
I've seen several DPR cranks & I'll just say this - I'll never use one due to issues.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TroyG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My God

Ann we finally agree on something.

lol
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Demello cranks. The counterweight weldings are generous. On larger stroker cranks, the cheeks are welded with more materials. Other cranks do NOT even have any side cheeks on rod journals to speak of on larger welded ones.

I have used both DMS and DPR through other people on their engine builds. But Demello does a fine job on welded cranks..the tolerances are much better from what I have seen.

You want to see a top-of-line welded crank..GENE BERG! Nothing like it.
Just awesome.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: