Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Megasquirt 2 system assembly and installation
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject: Megasquirt 2 system assembly and installation Reply with quote

While my car was running really well last year and this year on some Dellorto 45's and one of Glenn's 010 distributors, I've been curious about the megasquirt system for a long time and have wanted to build one for something. As much as I love the old school carbs and distributor, trying something new that I haven't done seems like fun, plus I'll get to learn how to tune using the tuner studio software. There is a turbo engine in the 1.5-2 year future for my car, so probably better to learn the tuning now on an NA motor. I read as much as I could here, on shoptalk, the msextra.com forums, and talked with Mario at thedubshop.com, and finally took the plunge and ordered the MS2v3.0 kit, relay board, and ignition kit. I've been soldering electronics since I was a kid, but this is still intimidating. Thankfully Mario pointed me in the right direction to the instructions on msextra
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Made slow progress at first

But got confident and finished it up in a few evening sessions. I added the extra drivers for wasted spark, boost control, and the circuit for launch control. Had to run to radio shack for a few resistors that the cat ran off with. I can't believe that place is still in business, but thankfully they have a big selection and set me up..

Got it powered up with the jimstim, first success!

And then got shot down trying to load the firmware with my mac

Apparently it was mostly my ignorance of Unix programming, coupled with the way the system works with the mac. Only took days and me bugging the bejeezus out of many kind people. Thanks go to many for that one
I started looking for the hardware with the idea that I'd go the cheap route and scrounge the throttle bodies, injectors, pump, and sensors. Here's my mock up with a junk 48mm LT1 throttle body and a spare offset manifold.

I had figured out how to do the linkage, and fit the injector bosses into the throttle bodies, but it was just turning into too much time. I typically have a dozen projects cooking at once, plus my real job, family, and house. So, I ordered the CB throttle bodies, and the rest of the ignition stuff from Mario.

Some of the bits I sourced from other places I'm friendly with, my fuel injectors and pump came from a local shop. It's the walbro 255lph which should be enough. The injectors are matched Bosch gen3 32lb/hr, and I have an issue with them fitting the CB throttle bodies. Seems the step above the 14mm o-ring is 1mm larger than the bore they are supposed to fit into. I will either machine .5 off the outside of the injector, or bore the TB and be done with it.

As things would happen my engine divorced its flywheel and pulley
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=633745&highlight=
and I ended up pulling the engine out and apart. Time to fit the new pulley, from Jaycee, here it is fitting the trigger wheel

Here are the wires for the injectors and sensors, all twisted with the ends in braided sleeve. I hate sloppy wiring so making it neat is very important! As soon as my engine is dressed with tin and everything again I can figure out the lengths and make these into one nice harness.

Bought the nice ratcheting crimper to use with the weather pack terminals too,
WOW, this thing makes nice connections! I will be hard pressed to ever use a regular squash crimp end again.
And last for now, the fuel system. I picked up a roll of 3/8" stainless tube and have run hard lines through the tunnel for the supply and return. No pics till later as I've moved the car to storage for a few months while I get the engine sorted. The flex lines are all AN-6, except the tank to pump, which is AN-8. The tank to AN-8 fitting is from CB, the m10-1.0 X AN-6 fitting for the pump are ebay, and the balance of the fittings and braided PTFE hose is from anfittingsdirect, which someone on STF turned me on to.

So, as I'm doing this I welcome any criticism, or a friendly heads up that I've made some critical mistake. I've read that many people are running the MS systems, but there aren't many start to finish builds here. There are a few on STF, but hosting pics there sucks so people just skip it..
Hope to have this up and running in 2-3 months, I'll add pics as I chip away at it.
SD
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see you make the move to MS ESDE....I'm sure you will like it.

I moved to it 4 years ago and never looked back. I haven't had to pull a carb or get gas on my hands since.

Don't wait too long to put that turbo on... that is where MS shines.....tuning for boost is a pleasure.

With those 32 lb injectors, you should be good to around 230 hp.

I'm getting close with my 1679 cc turbo.

Post some pics of the car it's going into.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks clonebug. I've learned a ton reading through your documented tuning.
This motor's not really set up for a turbo, I don't think. The compression is on the high side, and its got the hyper eutectic pistons. The turbo motor will be down the road, I have the case/ crank/ rods, pistons/cam/ lifters. Nothing measured, balanced, mocked, etc, so it'll be a while. The turbo and heads will set me back a bunch, so, next year..
The car is one my father bought me when I was 15, here it is now

Back then

I'm sure my dad would be amused to think I've been working on this for 28 years. Rest in peace dad.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit

Last edited by esde on Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
j-dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to following along with your build, looks like you have a nice start. Dancing
andy198712
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one! My ms had been 100%reliable!

How are you doing the return to the tank?
raul arrese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet !!!!! I made the move to fuel injection almost 25 years ago and have never looked back , I love carbs but they had there place and time ... your gonna love it !!!!!
" 2013 Lakeland Classic Best of Show "
" 2014 Show and Shine , First in class "
"
Like my facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Raul-Arrese-custom-fabrication-and-performance/1832968110262608
Casting Timmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interested to follow this. I want to run wasted spark first and then go to injection as well.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see another one to leave the land of carbs ...And see enlightenment...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. We have an extremely similar conversion going. MS, Teflon hose, ITB's, clean wiring, trigger wheel, same pump and regulator, etc. I'll be watching Cool

I'd like to second what you've said about modifying the IDF manifolds and making matching rails. It's a HUGE undertaking to save a few bucks for an average Joe, but can be done.

Looks like I used the same injector bosses that you have? Ross machine

I too liked traditional carb setups, but was kind of bored with it. I was looking at the advantages of EFI and if you do it right, you'll get the most out of your combo. Getting everything set up snug and not crooked on the manifolds took me about 6 months working on it a little here and there. Making my harnesses as clean as possible has been my favorite part of the project.

I hate nasty wiring too, and if I see it on a dub, I just want to rip it out!

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not even try to mod the intakes.
Just started from scratch and made them to suit.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeathBySnuSnu wrote:

I'm pretty sure I saw pics of your work while "researching" for this project. Very nice work! If I wasn't working on two busses, rebuilding my motor, and installing a two post lift (finally!) I would have seen the throttle bodies through to completion. There is a Ford throttle body that almost drops right onto a Weber DCNF manifold. LIke Roachdub58 posted, It's a pretty sizable job. Getting the manifolds to fit the throttle body is just the beginning, then you find that the injectors, fuel rail, and air cleaners hit something, and how does your linkage work? It reached the point where I stopped trying to build everything and spent money instead.
andy198712, for a return I purchased an AN-6 bulkhead fitting just like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/141081091674?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT and installed it next to the sender in the top of the tank, for my return. There's a short length of tube running from it to the bottom of the tank, copper with a compression ferrule. Really easy, just make its close enough to the sender that you can get two fingers in to start the nuts, and make sure it doesn't foul the float arm.
DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is all cable linkage.
It is in a motorcycle and there is no clearance issues to deal with, sorta like an open engine buggy but straddling the engine with an intake by each knee.
Thone are 44mm butterfly but 43mm under the butterfly. Not crazy huge but hopefully big enough for my 2387.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeathBySnuSnu wrote:

I really like how you mounted the idle solenoid and regulator. You almost don't even notice them, they look like they are supposed to be there.

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
Bugzilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Megasquirt 2 system assembly and installation Reply with quote

esde wrote:
So, as I'm doing this I welcome any criticism, or a friendly heads up that I've made some critical mistake. I've read that many people are running the MS systems, but there aren't many start to finish builds here. There are a few on STF, but hosting pics there sucks so people just skip it..
Hope to have this up and running in 2-3 months, I'll add pics as I chip away at it.
SD

Thanks for posting this--I have been interested in FI for a long time now, but have been a little overwhelmed by it all. The pictures help a lot!

I will be using a set of redline throttle bodies:

Do you have a wiring diagram you are working from? I am thinking about getting the Starter Wiring Harness http://thedubshop.goodsie.com/starter-wiring-harness from Mario and incorporating it into my main loom.

Looking forward to seeing your build!!

T
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use Bosch injectors and GM sensors you can have Mario make up the twisted pair harnesses with expanded wrap for each run.
I got wiring for 4 injectors, IAT, CLT, TPS and crank sensor with the plugs installed then cut them to length and hooked them to the Relay board.
The nice thing about that is it is color coded for his wiring diagram and is easy to check.
You can wrap all them together and make a single harness after you have everything fitted for correct length.
Just order some harness wrap from him to cover it all in one unit.
It does take time to place it and make it look nice.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
Howard 111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run a CB, Turbo/FI system because I don't know the electronics of it at all. Just seeing that circuit board you have there would send me into shock. But I see the appeal of constructing it from scratch like you are doing.

I don't have to understand it to see you are doing a top notch job with it. Thanks for providing the photos and dialog as you put it together piece by piece. It should be a fantastic addition to your car! Very Happy
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casting Timmy wrote:
Very interested to follow this. I want to run wasted spark first and then go to injection as well.

I thought of doing that, and eventually my "more is better" mentality led to just doing the full injection install. If you do decide to use an MS unit for ignition only, I would still explore building it for all of the options that you might want in the future. While building it I got very familiar with what was what, but after a week I have to look at my notes.

Bugzilla wrote:
Do you have a wiring diagram you are working from? I am thinking about getting the Starter Wiring Harness http://thedubshop.goodsie.com/starter-wiring-harness from Mario and incorporating it into my main loom.
T

There are numerous diagrams available online, most are based on the wire colors used by diyautotune, which is what I think Mario uses. I was given an extra wire bundle from diyautotune, and opted to make my own harness. It's quite a chore, but strangely fulfilling to get it all crimped, wrapped, and the end shrink wrapped. Here's the basic diagram

it shows using the main 37 pin connector, and hard wiring your relays however you want. I almost did this, actually changed my mind a dozen times, but in the end have decided on the relay board, at least for now. It connects a smaller relay box to the main MS2 unit, via the 37 pin connector, and all of my wires terminate at the relay board.
Here are the instructions for assembling the MS2
http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/html/MS2V30_Hardware-3.4.pdf/MS2V30_Hardware-3.4.html
The instructions start down in section 13. As it's a universal, DIY, unit, the instructions leave a lot of things somewhat open ended. For instance, it supports EDIS, wasted spark, and coil on plug. Each system needs different drivers and assembly, on the board. My 2 channel wasted spark needed a second bip373 driver, for coil on plug it seems like you would need 4 drivers. Where to fit and wire the additional stuff takes a little reading, to see how others have done it, and if their solution will work for you. The boost control uses a second driver as well, luckily I am using high impedance injectors, so I was able to eliminate two current limiting resistors and free up space on the heatsink for the additional two drivers. Clear as mud right?
I think I did pretty well, we'll see if it works..
A huge thanks to Mario for answering my questions during the board assembly.
nogoodwithusernames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just the thread I was looking for!

I've been thinking about running EFI on a new motor I am building (The mileage master from ACN) and it looks *easy* enough anyways that I could do it. (With help from some more experienced members at least!)

My biggest question though, is if it is justifiable over carbs? I am thinking that an EFI setup would be double the cost of a nice dual carb kit, and does the increased efficiency and "trouble free" running make it worth it?

-Derek
gprudenciop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WORTH EVERY PENNY!!!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: