Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Had enough!
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Speedsterboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:13 am    Post subject: Had enough! Reply with quote

I have a 64 Square that has the bone stock detailed 1500 single carb. I converted the car to 12 volts, should I have changed the 6 volt choke mechanism in the carb to a 12 volt one? This car has never run perfect despite having replaced everything mechanical when restored. It never accelerates smoothly and is always reluctant to idle during warm-up. My mechanic is very good and have always maintained my other VW perfectly, strange because it may run rough but this car is so reliable despite these issues. I am considering changing the 009 as it might be a new 'faulty' item..any other suggestions?
Thanks,
AL
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/156805.jpg
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zarana-X
Samba Dreadnok

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 009 with a single center mount carb is a horrible combination. I have a 009 and the Weber progressive carb and am having the same problems you described.
My 2 part solution (as money allows) is to get a new vacuum advace distributor, and to get dual Weber ICT carbs.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would change to a 12v choke.

If it doesn't idle well during warm-up, maybe you already burned up the 6v choke? Is the single carb. manifold heat riser blocked?

Yes, I would try to find the stock distributor. You have a '64 so is it an "N" model or is it a special Australian model?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vweater1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everett is right. Either use the stock dizzy or IMO get a 019 or a 010 if you have a high performance engine which you don't.Besides a 009 is mostly used on a type1. From what I was told they don't advance very well on a type 3 motor Evil or Very Mad . I have a 019 and just a couple of months ago had the same problems you where having Evil or Very Mad . The car didn't advance properly and it idled rough. Now it advances great and smooth, I use my 71 sqbk as my daily driver now from North Hollywood to Santa Monica everyday. Very Happy
Speedsterboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all. I am having the distributor replaced...see how we go!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Bubblehead
El Chupa Nibre

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vweater1 wrote:
...Besides a 009 is mostly used as a paperwieght...

I've got one I took the guts out of, polished up, and use as an ashtray out in the shop Wink
Samba Member #4862
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Speedsterboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all, it does appear that the 009 was the culprit! it is running so much better now but still not perfect, it still has a slight reluctance on take-off and one other thing, when one switches the ignition on, nothing happens but complete silence until after 4 seconds the starter cranks over...? Is this potentially a part of the problem?
Thanks,
AL
hoss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

al,

which dizzy did you end up replacing the 009 with?
Speedsterboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced it with the original Type3 distributor with new poits etc...running soo much better. Still having a little fuel delivery issue (on take-off) via the fuel pump my mechanic claims...any other suggestions from anyone?
Thanks,
AL
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Bubblehead wrote:
vweater1 wrote:
...Besides a 009 is mostly used as a paperwieght...

I've got one I took the guts out of, polished up, and use as an ashtray out in the shop Wink

Whats that I am kicking under the desk Question Question Question Oh, its an 009 Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wynsquezr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Russ's 009 soccer ball Reply with quote

So now I know what to do with this 009 I got told I needed when I went to the dual weber 34's,now to go find a set of point Question ,drop the oem FI dizzy in and drop kick the 009 into next week
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Russ's 009 soccer ball Reply with quote

wynsquezr wrote:
So now I know what to do with this 009 I got told I needed when I went to the dual weber 34's,now to go find a set of point Question ,drop the oem FI dizzy in and drop kick the 009 into next week

Those points should be very easy to find. They are the same as T-1, T-2. T-3, early Rabbits, golf.
Any lat VW that doesnt have electronic ignition.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
tomnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the fuel pump will NOT cause this except in extremely rare conditions. The float bowl has fuel in it (I hope!) and the accelerator pump will draw fuel from this as will the circutry of the carb. I doubt that your car would even run if the fuel pump was not pumping. The odds of it not filling the float bowl are slim.........

What's the condition of the accel pump?

What's the float level?

And your delay on start is caused from one of three things, maybe all. A dying igntion switch, hi resistance in the wiring, a dying solenoid on the starter.

al9 wrote:
Still having a little fuel delivery issue (on take-off) via the fuel pump my mechanic claims...any other suggestions from anyone?
Thanks,
AL

DVKK

DSD, Dark Side Disciples
Progenitor
wynsquezr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Russ's 009 soccer ball Reply with quote

Russ Wolfe wrote:
wynsquezr wrote:

Those points should be very easy to find. They are the same as T-1, T-2. T-3, early Rabbits, golf.
Any lat VW that doesnt have electronic ignition.

Igot points,somewhere in the shed, I just got to get them and the original dizzy in same place and time. Have petronix in 009 but was told same unit won't cross over to FI dizzy which I understand is basically same as050 with space and cam for inj. trigger points
Squarely67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Russ's 009 soccer ball Reply with quote

wynsquezr wrote:

One might consider drop kicking the 009 into one's tool kit in the trunk as a spare just in case. It may be far from perfect, but it might come in handy some night. If not for you, then maybe someone else. I feel a little better knowing if my distributor or electronic ignition decides to bum out, I've got a spare to limp home on.
86syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you say that you were running a single carb?

If so, get some baby dells, dual Solexs, or Weber ICTs to put under there with a SVDA distributor. Stock or aftermarket vaccum dist is better than a 009.

I had a '72 Squareback with a 009 and Dual ICTs. It ran good but it had a hesitation at take off. I sold it before I switched the 009 out, but I'm sure it was the culprit.

STOCK CARBS ARE BETTER THAN ANY AFTERMARKET IF YOUR LOOKING FOR DRIVABILITY!!!
wynsquezr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If so, get some baby dells, dual Solexs, or Weber ICTs to put under there with a SVDA distributor. Stock or aftermarket vaccum dist is better than a 009.

Running dual 34's how did you supply vaccum to the dizzy,would like to go back to stocksvda because of hesitation ,etc. what about vacuum supply. 3/8 balance pipe between intakes?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: