Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Where and how to mount an external oil cooler on a Bus
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWBobby wrote:
You might also try switching to 10W30 or 15W40 oil. 20W50 tends to hold heat longer than 10W30 because it is so thick. It doesn't flow as well so it makes it harder to absorb oil from hot engine parts (doesn't soak in as well). I use Valvoline 10W30 because it is very clean oil and cheap. If the engine is extremely worn, I might use 20W50 in a pinch only during summer....just because it fills in the gaps on worn bearings better.

I've always thought that 20W50 was better at keeping cool because it was thicker. 10W30 would get so thin when the engine would heat up, it would end up losing some of the thermal capacity also reducing your oil pressure due to being so thin.
Andrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back on the topic of the engine, though. If you're very concerned about the temp of the engine, you may want to consider trying the Type 1 DTM.

http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/type1/dtm/index.htm
http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/store/product.php?productid=16133&cat=250&page=1
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The smaller gen pulley also works well, and is not ugly like scoops.

I was running a smaller pulley on my 65 westy, and it ran too cool in winter here (when it froze at night) so I pulled it off and put a regular one on, and the bus was happier. I couldn't find that pulley last summer. Crying or Very sad

Myself I prefer to keep temps below 225F. Actually I like to keep it 170 to 210, so if I start to get warmer I can back it off. Guess I'm a conservative driver, usually that is. Touch wood.

Wanted to compare the smaller gen pulley during my tests, but unfortunately it didn't happen.

I really see a lack of solid data out there on these different systems.
3 type2's
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I generally don't post very often, as there are people here with a great deal of knowledge. In my personal experience, I was able to cool the heads and in turn the oil by simply removing the front firewall seal! I measured the head temps with an "infrared" temperature gun and there was a dramatic drop in temps (50 degrees). The sump plate went from 190 degrees to 170 degrees -- this is not actual oil temp as there is a difference between the oil and external sump surface. In the fall I just slide it back in from the bottom in two pieces to help keep the engine at optimal running temperature. In the late spring I remove it for the summer. The trade off is some very small amount of road debris in the engine compartment. The engine in question is a 1600 with mild port and polish to the heads, 9.0 to 1 compression, 110 cam, 30 pict 1 carb, in a stock height '67 kombi. I drive this bus year round with virtually no problems. Good luck, Jeff.
VWBobby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its safe to let your oil get in the 210-230 degree range. Actually its good to bring it up above 210 ocassionaly because you can boil the water out of the oil (causes that nasty brown foam).

As long as you don't use cheap oil, almost all oils can withstand 400+ degrees F. Look for the "Flash point" spec on the oil. This is the point where the oil begins to combust and loses its ability to lubricate. Learn more about oil on www.bobistheoilguy.com

Yes a 20W50 is technically more stable at tempatures (since its the equivilant of a 50 weight at temp) but a good engine shouldn't need oil that thick. My engine has a 30mm oil pump, puts out well over 80PSI when its cold, around 40 hot. If you were running in texas heat, then a 20W50 would be fine, probably.

Get a Head Temp Guage!!!! The oil temp is only half of the equation. I'd only be alarmed when the head temps get around 380-400 degrees otherwise your oil will be fine up to around 230 degrees F. You're most likely to do damage going up a steep mountain pass or bucking a headwind then to just be cruising along at 70MPH. I've driven at 75+ with a Superbeetle for a couple of hours before the engine started showing signs of stress. This is up and down hills BTW. It was an unknown engine that I didn't do any work to besides timing and valve adjustment. An engine with known history is much more trustworthy.
-Bobby
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roadron wrote:
i have played with the idea of ducting extra air through the front tin. has anyone tried this?

Hi roadron,
You would have to run ducting probably from the front bumper then. A friend of our's had a bus without the front tin, after we added that tin the oil temp ran 30 F lower.
We used to have all sorts of cooling problems with stock 1960-63 bus trannies. Found we were doing 3,800 RPM @ 55 MPH (and getting only 18-19 MPG) which was the speed limit then. By dropping down to 3,000 RPM (MPG went up to 27!) we had alot less cooling problems, but were only doing 47 MPH.
Installed a 3.875 R&P Freeway Flier tranny and 1641 SP engine with CW crank, 7.1:1 CR and 1964-67 RGBs. Plus cooling mods like cleaning ALL cast flash out of head fins, type 4 cooler in doghouse shroud, Largest stock lower "D" pulley, 356 Porsche gen pulley, and widest stock 35 mm cooling fan. Now can do 58 MPH @ 3,000 RPM and getting 23 MPG in our fully loaded 1960 walk thru panel camper conversion. The last couple of times we drove from Sacramento CA up to Redding area. This is a long uphill drive and almost always into a stiff headwind in temps over 85 F. On this hours long part of the trip oil temp only went barely above 210 F twice for a couple of minutes each time. Engine longevity between rebuild has doubled to 80,000+ miles.
Before on this part of the trip with stock tranny and big bore 40 HP we would have to drop several hundred RPM lower then 3,000 RPM to keep the oil temp below 220F.
Anybody interested we would be happy to Pmail them our "Modified Tranny History".
Eric&Barb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DannoT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is an old thread but i thought I would dig it up for some more advice. Ive been doing allot of research on the oil cooler topic and have decided to install a setup. I have a full flow berg oil pump on a 1914 engine with all the correct tin, type IV doghouse cooler, 1.5qt external sump and I cleaned out the castings from the heads when the engine was built. Ive put about 32k on the engine with this setup and in the summer the head temps are usually a little high and the oil is about 210-220 which is normally fine but I'm going to be pulling a light trailer through the desert this summer so I want to be safe by cooling the oil down some more. What I plan to install is a 1.5qt cooler with a oil thermostat valve and the cb remote oil filter adapter. What I would like to know is if there are any flaws in my plans and also where is a good place to mount the cooler and filter adapter. And as always thanks for all the advice and input Smile
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What size cooling fan?

Got 356 Porsche gen/alt pulley?

Do you have the foam rubber over the oil cooler?

Running FI DH shroud with velocity ring?

Crank pulley DH size and not earlier smaller one?

Air/fuel mixture gauge? If so are you running a bit too lean??

What RPM for cruising?

Post an image of the engine please.

Before going to external cooler would look into the above and try towing the trailer to see if it really makes an increase in oil temp.
DannoT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok here's what Ive got
36mm welded fan
Stock alternator pulley
Foam rubber is over the cooler
Standard dh shroud
dh pulley
No air fuel mixture gauge but the carbs are well tuned and operating well
With free way flyer I cruise at 4000rpms at 70mph but this is because I opted for a shorter 4th so I could maintain power on hills being in the rocky mountains most of the time.
Ive already got the parts for the cooler install, I would just like to get a few second opinions on setup and placement, its no longer a question of should but how lol.
ps. I have heard that putting a smaller pulley on a larger alternator can over wind the alternator and wear out the brushes and bearings, any truth to this rumor?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DannoT wrote:

ps. I have heard that putting a smaller pulley on a larger alternator can over wind the alternator and wear out the brushes and bearings, any truth to this rumor?

If that were true, think we would have same problem with generator, and it is doing well so far.

Your oil temp is fine, and adding an external oil cooler is not going to bring down the head temp. Even if the carbs are running fine, the mixture might be just a bit lean at higher RPM. Only way to know is to test properly.
DannoT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill take a look at the carbs jetting and and mixture before I go on the trip, my thought on the cooler is it will maintain the oil temp better and in turn soak up more heat from the heads when driving under load in the heat. Im also looking in to other ideas on cooling the heads, Clara mentioned the scoops can help cool the heads and since my bus got drilled for them back in the seventies Rolling Eyes I figure they couldn't hurt to put on too.
DannoT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also Id'e like to thank Eric and barb for the input on this subject Ive read hundreds of useful posts by you while researching bus stuff over the years.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem!
Please do keep us all posted on how it goes.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW have you made sure your oil temp gauge is calibrated?
DannoT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a digital probe thermometer that's pretty accurate to check the oil temp and a infrared thermometer to check my head temps. Ill let you know how the install goes along with some temp readings to see how well it works.
DannoT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, It took a while between work and life its hard to squeeze a few hours a week in to the project but after about a month I put together the external oil cooling system. I ran about 9ft total of -10 oil lines, I used a total of 10 anodized fittings in the system, made 4 custom 18 gauge brackets for the oil filter, thermostat valve, and oil cooler all with out drilling a single hole in the bus. Now my oil temp is staying right in the target range of 180 to 200 degrees, I did manage to get the temp to rise to about 210 on a 85 degree day after hauling 5 passengers up a steep portion of hwy285 which is called the canyon and has been known to over heat many cars trying to maintain speed up it.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Jerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you give us some feedback on your cooler setup? Just wondering how everything worked out blocking 1/2 the incoming air for the engine.
If this works, this is one I would consider doing.
Thank you for sharing.

thevwcompound *instagram*
Sniperx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought...

It looks like your using the stock VW fan to pull air through the vent and across your oil cooler. Theres a few problems here. 1. Your restricting the airflow by blocking the vent. It may not be fully blocked, but it is more covered now than before. 2. You are now pulling preheated air into your main cooling system which should be pulling "pure" "cold" air from the outside and blowing it over your heads. 3. By introducing a restriction on that vent, the air then looks for the path of least resistance and is pulled through the other vent instead of across your oil cooler. Granted SOME will still move by it....its not doing exactly what you are looking for.

Remember....the heat in your oil came from your engine. By putting the cooler in teh engine and in it "coolant" you are essentially putting that heat BACK into your motor.

I had a setup on a SCAB where the cooler was in the battery box pulling from behind the wheel. I used the same VW fan idea you were. I regularly ran 350-400 (400 if I pushed it on the highway) after switching to external I now peak at 350 going up huge grades in 4th with a FF trans.
mg6770
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sniperx wrote:
Just a thought...

It looks like your using the stock VW fan to pull air through the vent and across your oil cooler. Theres a few problems here. 1. Your restricting the airflow by blocking the vent. It may not be fully blocked, but it is more covered now than before. 2. You are now pulling preheated air into your main cooling system which should be pulling "pure" "cold" air from the outside and blowing it over your heads. 3. By introducing a restriction on that vent, the air then looks for the path of least resistance and is pulled through the other vent instead of across your oil cooler. Granted SOME will still move by it....its not doing exactly what you are looking for.

Remember....the heat in your oil came from your engine. By putting the cooler in the engine and in it "coolant" you are essentially putting that heat BACK into your motor.

I agree
Scorcho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Where and how to mount an external oil cooler on a Bus Reply with quote

The engine that came with my bus had an external oil cooler but no oil cooler inside the fan housing or the mechanism/rod up in front of the housing that opens the flaps/rings. Do those need to be removed when putting an external oil cooler or do i need find those things and put them on?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: