Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dual IDF 40 Woes!! Please help!
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shayme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: Dual IDF 40 Woes!! Please help! Reply with quote

Hey all,

I'm having some trouble w/ my carbs and I 'd appreciate some advice. Here's where I"m at:

Left Carb:
Major vacuum leak in left carb between intake manifold and carb. Today I replaced the gasket and it still has the same leakage. Couldn't put carb flat on ground b/c there is some hardware which gets in the way of this. But I did put it on the intake manifold w/o gasket and there is some movement from front left to rear right. So I"m thinking there is some uneveness there. Can't tell from looking at the carb bottom though. I hope that the manifold isn't warped, didn't look like it. Oh and also, the RPMS actually decrease when carb cleaner is sprayed on it, almost dies rather than speeding up which I've been told is what happens.

Right Carb:
No. 1 cylinder idle mixture screw does not have any effect on the engine when bottomed out or removed. I have taken both carbs out and removed idle jets and mix screws, blew out circuit's w/ compressed air very well in all barrels.

So when I reinstalled the carbs, I still have the left vacuum leak and the No.1 cylinder idle mixture screw isn't having an effect on anything.

My thoughts are that I need to remedy the vacuum leak, but can't seem to locate it. And second, that I may need to rebuild the right carb? Any suggestions greatly appreciated. I'm getting tired of not being able to drive the squareback!
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your #1 barrel issue is the same as my #2 barrel issue (idle adjust doesn't do its job). Can't tell you what to do as I have no clue but two sources have told me to get a carb rebuild kit. I'd like to understand why this happens. Does the seat /valve have deposits on it that physically keep it from seating? Or does the seat/valve get pitted and need machining/replacing? Why?
The First Invasion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: