Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Front end for '68 T3 Squareback
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
winnetcom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:19 pm    Post subject: New Front end for '68 T3 Squareback Reply with quote

Seems like after 250K miles by OO my new Baby needs some attention to the front end. OO took Very Good care of all the rest :^)

My New? mechanic says it needs atleast one tie rod end, steering coupler, and ball joints. Ball joints have 3mm play. I agree, its all dangerous for a daily driver. He says about $870+tax for the job. I wanna do all four tie rods I think, it could go over $1200 at that rate. Still needs new KYB's and steering shock, bearings while I'm at it.

I may be able to do it all but the ball joints kinda scare me. I figure I can get someone to do the final alingnment when I finish either way. From the little research I've done here it looks like a 68 T3 ball joints may be relatively easy. I'll need to buy a couple new tools to do it, I know, been a while. I've done it all on T1, in the day.

Can I do it all in a day or so? Where is the best place to get all the parts? Any tips, help or Warnings appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: New Front end for '68 T3 Squareback Reply with quote

winnetcom wrote:
Seems like after 250K miles by OO my new Baby needs some attention to the front end. OO took Very Good care of all the rest :^)

My New? mechanic says it needs atleast one tie rod end, steering coupler, and ball joints. Ball joints have 3mm play. I agree, its all dangerous for a daily driver. He says about $870+tax for the job. I wanna do all four tie rods I think, it could go over $1200 at that rate. Still needs new KYB's and steering shock, bearings while I'm at it.

I may be able to do it all but the ball joints kinda scare me. I figure I can get someone to do the final alingnment when I finish either way. From the little research I've done here it looks like a 68 T3 ball joints may be relatively easy. I'll need to buy a couple new tools to do it, I know, been a while. I've done it all on T1, in the day.

Can I do it all in a day or so? Where is the best place to get all the parts? Any tips, help or Warnings appreciated.

The price quoted sounds a little high to me, but then I don't know about your area. The ball joints on a t-3 are easy to replace compared to a t-1, as they are bolt in versus press in.About the only tools needed for them is a 30mm socket (with a breaker bar for the large nut), and a 17mm wrench (for the thru bolt in the spindle). For parts in your area, I'd suggest ISP west ( www.ispwest.com ), as they're closer to you. They will also have the tie rod ends and the steering dampener you'll need. You might want to invest in a Bentley manual, as that can help walk you through most anything on the car. I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
TheDDB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

870.oo?

Is the beam also being replaced?
Here are our prices on these parts..

Ball joints 28.00 each

Tie rod ends.....18 each
Steering dampner.....25.00
KYB [greys].....26 each
coupler........15.

If you dont have the bently / hanes manual go find one...it will be a great place for you to reference.

You can do this your self make sure you have a big ol hammer [to help with the removel of the old ball joints],also a pickle fork and ball joint remover are helpful.

Give yourself the weekend to get it done...dont rush it and you can knock it out.

HEck while your there might as well lower the car too Very Happy Cool

after your done find you favorite alingment shop....

Best way to get to the inner tie rod ends is to remove the gs tank, it isnt that much work and will make your life alot easier.

Hope that helps-

Home of the only bolt on type 3 air ride kit
http://www.theDDB.com

Its a type 3 thing, so you might not understand
Yes I Walk the Walk
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget you need a torque wrench.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
winnetcom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any way I think I need a New New mechanic, this guy charges $87 an hour labor. My old guy retired. Anyone know a good mechanic in SFV, Ca. ?

I definately plan on pulling the gas tank, should I think about pulling the whole front end out to do the ball joints? Can I get a new complete beam for T3 like a T1?

I got the Bentley manual with the car, thanks for the support.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
josh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin,

Do you have the angled tie rod ends or just replace it with a straight one?

Quote:
HEck while your there might as well lower the car too

If you really want to. Rolling Eyes

I would also consider changing the front brake hoses while you're under there.

There are no new type3 beams available. Some company online has a kit that lets you put a type1 beam in the car but the type3 beam is superior.

I rebuilt my front beam outside of the car but that was because I was replacing a poorly maintained beam with the bump stops cut off with a nice donor beam that has good needle bearings.

The beam work is easier when it's removed from the car but removing and reinstalling the beam is harder than it looks. You would probably be better off doing the repairs with the beam on the car.

You should definitely have the Bentley and follow the procedures

Good Luck
TheDDB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josh-

We just use the straight ones...
they do te trick just fine.

Home of the only bolt on type 3 air ride kit
http://www.theDDB.com

Its a type 3 thing, so you might not understand
Yes I Walk the Walk
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
winnetcom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll be getting all the parts fro Jbugs.com, looks like they have all the parts at a decent price. Any references ?

I'll be borrowing a tie rod end puller, pitman arm and torque wrench. Seems on '68 T3 I won't need to have the ball joints pressed in, is this correct?

Anything I'm missing ?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: