Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

air filter
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
orangabug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: air filter Reply with quote

Pulled open the air filter cover in my new 68 sqbk and found that there was nothing there. What moden air filter would fit in there?

Maybe a FRAM part number or something that I can pick up at the local chain parts store.
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A stock air filter is an OIl bath filter. Probably better than any paper one you can find. There should have been about 1/2 pint of oil in the air filter bottom.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be exact, Russ, as I did this a couple of days ago, it should be 13.5 ounces Smile VW Logo
The First Invasion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orangabug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So after I add some oil what type of filter should go in there. Do you have any pictures?

BTW: Orderd a Bentley manual and still waiting for it to arrive... so I have a few of the bonehead questions till then.
73notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no filter necessary. just oil
seans67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stock air cleaner does not take any type of inserted filter, it is a self contained unit. The actual filter part of the unit is in the upper piece when you open the cleaner up.
Just drain the oil out of the bottom, clean the sludge if there is any and put 13.5oz SAE 30 oil in.

Put it back on the engine and your good to go.

'71 Squareback '71 Porsche 914 ‘80 Camper '87 Syncro Weekender 1.8T '87 Wolfsburg Weekender '97 Toyota Land Cruiser ‘03 Audi A6 Quattro 3.0 ‘04 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 1.8T ‘05 Audi A4 Quattro 3.0
‘06 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

orangabug wrote:
So after I add some oil what type of filter should go in there. Do you have any pictures?

BTW: Orderd a Bentley manual and still waiting for it to arrive... so I have a few of the bonehead questions till then.

no paper - oil only...

believe it or not, the oil bath air filter is superior to any filter element you will ever stuff in there...

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must have one of those Brazilian air cleaners from the kits sold back in the late 70's and early 80's. Shocked The closest filter I've found that fit's in there is from an 83 chevy cavalier 2.0 tbi (if I remember correctly). It's a little smaller in diameter, but it's the right height. I had one of those units in my wife's Fastback (it came with the car), and I searched all over trying to find one (with the VW and Audi part numbers). I never did find the correct one, but I did get close. Rolling Eyes Since then, I've found / got an oil bath filter, and stopped looking for them. Cool Just so you know, K&N wasn't any help either. Confused
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
You must have one of those Brazilian air cleaners from the kits sold back in the late 70's and early 80's. Shocked The closest filter I've found that fit's in there is from an 83 chevy cavalier 2.0 tbi (if I remember correctly). It's a little smaller in diameter, but it's the right height. I had one of those units in my wife's Fastback (it came with the car), and I searched all over trying to find one (with the VW and Audi part numbers). I never did find the correct one, but I did get close. Rolling Eyes Since then, I've found / got an oil bath filter, and stopped looking for them. Cool Just so you know, K&N wasn't any help either. Confused

I have pictures of the paper filter style on my web site. Notchboy put them up I believe.
http://classicvw.org/gallery/notchboy
That is what the paper cartridge ones look like.
And also, even Mahle Filters is no help on getting the cartridges. BTDT I work for Mahle Filters.

vweater1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about if you have after market air filters, Could you use the oil bath air filter? Question I currently have 34ict's and would like to use the oil if possible. Or does anyone make some K&N style filter that could fit under the engine lid?
orangabug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After looking through a box of stuff that came with the car... I found a modern air filter that fit right in the there. Wonder if it was used? Wonder if it was used with or without oil? Would it have hurt anything?
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the filter assembly look like the one on my web site??
http://classicvw.org/gallery/notchboy/1073066772437_MVC_010S

If it looks like that one? then put the cartridge in and run it. Be be forwarned, that you probably won't find another cartridge for it.

orangabug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Nope. It has a orange trim and I can barely make out a part number that starts with PH. If I'm not mistaken, it looks like your run of the mill AutoZone/PepBoys/Kragen FRAM filter.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

orangabug wrote:
Quote:

Nope. It has a orange trim and I can barely make out a part number that starts with PH. If I'm not mistaken, it looks like your run of the mill AutoZone/PepBoys/Kragen FRAM filter.

In this case, just install it and go (no oil needed). You might want to take it to one of those places you listed above, and see if they have another one in stock. Rolling Eyes
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vweater1 wrote:
How about if you have after market air filters, Could you use the oil bath air filter? Question I currently have 34ict's and would like to use the oil if possible. Or does anyone make some K&N style filter that could fit under the engine lid?

If you're using ICTs, you're stuck with what you have, as the linkage would get in the way, along with having nothing for the wing nuts (on the oil bath air cleaner) to grab on to. Rolling Eyes
The choice of filters for them depends on the kits you have, as the CB Performance kits use a filter similar to a K&N, while the empi kit uses a paper element sealed to the tin halfs (the round ones anyway, and they appear to be a throw away type of setup). Some of the other empi knockoff's use a K&N style filter with the air cleaner cover plates clipped together, these are similar in style to the CB Performace elements, and can be cleaned or replaced. Very Happy
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
kirschwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: air filter Reply with quote

hey again orangabug.

checking the oil bath filter was the first thing i did on my square
back in the fall. it is quirky - but it's not that there's no filter in there.

look at the underside of the lid closely. see the holes with steel wool inside.

dude - that's the filter! genious engineering design!
so, fill the other half of the assembly with half a quart
of monograde hd30 if you have it lying around. i get mine
at napa or coastal. harley's use it. that should be your summer
weight oil too if you're going old school monograde heavy duty
oil like me. hd 20 in the winter.

so there you have it. oil. steel wool. best filter. just change
the oil and scoop out the sludge on the bottom every couple months.

oil bath - the original k&n filter charger = )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: