Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who wants to see my progress in welding class?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: Who wants to see my progress in welding class? Reply with quote

I knew you did. Wink

These pics are of 18 ga steel from which I cut out corners then rewelded as practice. I'm halfway through a MIG welding class at the local community college, and I'm having a blast!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If the body work thing pans out, I'll just become a welding artiste. Or not.

Getting better, but I still burn through the 18 ga on occasion.

I burned through at the corner, so I welded a patch on the back.

Shot of the triangular patch. Note that I haven't really cleaned these up or made any effort to grind off the excess. I have a feeling that smoothing it over is the really hard part. Shocked

Thanks for looking, folks.

- Scott

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
Bill E.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Scott!! I dont think mine will be as art-ful as yours but someday Laughing

I am startin my third week on monday of a weldin class at the local community college too. The first week a little safety class/test and some stick weld. Then set us off to the booth for some stick weld madness. All the metal was thick stuff and did end up makin some yard art.

Finally I said, 'enough is enough' give me the MIG!! I had a few good welds down before the other guys were even set up and given some instruction.
Again the thicker metal and asked for some thinner. All he gave was some 16 gague with the .035 wire, but pretty cool.

Now all I need is some 18 gague to weld cause the instructor gave a blurb about it being expensive and hard to get. I told him I will bring in my welder (115 MIG) and I have the .024 wire and can I use the school gas.

Maybe mine will look like yours but be in the shape of a fender and have triangles/patches from another fender. Maybe at home I could make the patches. This isnt auto body class but kind of like art class Laughing
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill E. wrote:
Nice Scott!! I dont think mine will be as art-ful as yours but someday Laughing

I am startin my third week on monday of a weldin class at the local community college too. The first week a little safety class/test and some stick weld. Then set us off to the booth for some stick weld madness. All the metal was thick stuff and did end up makin some yard art.

Finally I said, 'enough is enough' give me the MIG!! I had a few good welds down before the other guys were even set up and given some instruction.
Again the thicker metal and asked for some thinner. All he gave was some 16 gague with the .035 wire, but pretty cool.

Now all I need is some 18 gague to weld cause the instructor gave a blurb about it being expensive and hard to get. I told him I will bring in my welder (115 MIG) and I have the .024 wire and can I use the school gas.

Maybe mine will look like yours but be in the shape of a fender and have triangles/patches from another fender. Maybe at home I could make the patches. This isnt auto body class but kind of like art class Laughing

Sounds like you're pretty set. As far as I'm concerned, you HAVE to approach body work as an art. Otherwise, you won't keep high enough standards for your work.

BTW, lots of new replacement body panels are actually 20 or 22 gauge steel. Talk about needing finesse! Shocked

- Scott

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
mattsvdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My own personal opinion is that welding is almost an art form...
I'm a sheetmetal welder fabber by trade and I know when I was injured and couldn't work for a month It took me awhile to get my skills back in tune.. Practice, Practice, and more Practice... Smile
Just wait till you try and tackle The Heli-Arc process... Surprised

I could probably scare up some scrap 8 x 10 pieces of 18 guage and send em' to ya if you can't find any locally...

Coming along nicely by the way!
(I'm always looking to hire a good sheetmetal welder.....)
Pennywise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Matt, I would be willing to pay you for some 20g sheet metal. I know it takes time out of your day, not to mention the shipping costs. Let me know what you need to get me some scrap metal to practice with before I start the resto on the car. Thanks
mattsvdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penny,
I don't have aproblem at all with sending scraps in 8 x 10 inch pieces to anybody within the US that wants them and it will only cost the $3.85 that the USPS mailer costs me...
The problem arises when I don't have that size in stock.
We normally only have down to 16 guage on hand which I order 100 sheets at a time (4ft. x 8ft.) So I have allot of scap of that..
But Anything thinner I have to make a special order for and that raises eyebrows...
I just happen to know I have a sheet of 18ga. on hand but I'll have to search and see if we have any thinner...
I know most body panels are now out of 20-22ga... But 16-18 is a good starter thickness for honing skills...
I'll post some of my handi work on my site pretty soon for you guys to check out... I just finished a full scale replica of the Stanley Cup for a Hockey Heroes restaurant up North... What a challenge but it came out awesome...
You can contact me thru my web site for specific sheet metal requests or questions if need be... www.mattsvw.com
Pennywise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem Matt, the 16g will be fine then. I am after all just starting out so anything is better than scrap computer cases.
mattsvdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't mean to Hi-Jack your post Towel Rail but thought I'd show ya one of my past projects.. I won't tell you how much I charged... It Was a Tuffy Confused Meet Stanley (Stanley Cup that is)
[/url]
Had a moonlighting job making this full scale replica for a restaurant. Turned out really cool after he had it Fully Chromed!
[/url]

This is the Model I had to work from along with getting some dimensions and info from a confidential NHL source.

Every piece started as a flat piece of steel.(Except for the topper) Either Sheet metal or Flat bar stock material formed and rolled into the current shape.
Woulda looked real cool in my basement bar...

Again, Sorry Towel Rail but had to show you... Oh and it as mainly 18ga. and 16ga and weighed in at 57lbs when completed.. same as real guy...
Lots and Lots of Welds there...(and allotta sanding pads to metal finish it all)
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is some of my recent work, been welding up my barndoor.
This picture is from the underneath of the cab floor, apart from the spotwelds along the bottom lip all the welding you see was actually dont from the other side, what you see here is the penertration I got through the butt weld.
Rememeber when learning to weld to look at the back to see if your weld is going through. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mattsvdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man thats some nice work Krusher... I don't even attempt rusty hulks... I had both my 67 T-1's shipped from the Southwest US.. To avoid rust issues but I know not all of us have that option... Glad to know some people make the best of bad situations... Take care... Wink
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hijack away, folks. This is some good stuff. Smile Another Samban hipped me to the use of copper behind the work to prevent burn-throughs, and I can't wait to try it!

I might be interested in some of that sheet metal, too, Matt.

- Scott

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
mattsvdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Copper best for backing up large holes to fill but Brass and Aluminum will work fine also...
Heck you wouldn't beleive the size of the holes I've had to fill...
Sorry no joke intended... Embarassed
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsvdub wrote:
I like Copper best for backing up large holes to fill but Brass and Aluminum will work fine also...
Heck you wouldn't beleive the size of the holes I've had to fill...
Sorry no joke intended... Embarassed

LOL. Laughing

- Scott

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont start using copper back-up for butt welded, that wont help your skills one bit save that for large holes.
After 10 years of welding I recently made a copper spoon, and low and behold I can weld up a hole better without the stupid spoon, so in the bin it went. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krusher wrote:
Dont start using copper back-up for butt welded, that wont help your skills one bit save that for large holes.
After 10 years of welding I recently made a copper spoon, and low and behold I can weld up a hole better without the stupid spoon, so in the bin it went. Wink

That's hilarious. I bought an auto-dimming helmet recently, and I don't know how I welded before. I almost never burn through anymore!

- Scott

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
carmangary
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you guys weld seams when they come to an adge. I always seem to melt away the edge a little bit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
bk63rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds cool i am have been planing on taking some welding classes also.I would like to buy a welder to pracitce at home with but im not sure what to get though.
Cook911411
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question Carmangary. I have been wondreing the same...

Any insight pros?
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of the smallest lincoln welders is a fine purchase, about $400, below this the quality of the internals on cheap welders are crap and your welds will suffer.
Bklyn63
Samba Mafioso

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, the lincoln welder is awesome. I bought a 135 amp for $439 at home depot. I opened a card and paid it over 1 year. It felt like it cost me nothing in the end.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: