Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Headliner for FB w Sunroof
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vihannes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 2:35 am    Post subject: Headliner for FB w Sunroof Reply with quote

Hi!
I bought new TMI headliner for my -66 fastback (with sunroof).

I'm going to install it by myself.
1) Am I stupid?

I do have old headliner as an example.
I wonder what is the correct procedure for this "job"...

2) Shall I first install whole headliner, and after that I will cut hole/opening for sunroof, eh?

3) Do you, Typ3 lovers, have any kind of "hints and tips" for me? What tools I will need? Must I warm vinyl with some kind of heater? What kind of clue will I need?

(I know it would be better to take car for professionals, but but ... I really don't want to install all windows with new seals several times... )
- J
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Headliner for FB w Sunroof Reply with quote

vihannes wrote:
Hi!
I bought new TMI headliner for my -66 fastback (with sunroof).

I'm going to install it by myself.
1) Am I stupid?

I'm not really going to answer this, but it's really a job best left to the pro's.

Quote:

3) Do you, Typ3 lovers, have any kind of "hints and tips" for me? What tools I will need? Must I warm vinyl with some kind of heater? What kind of clue will I need?

(I know it would be better to take car for professionals, but but ... I really don't want to install all windows with new seals several times... )
- J

Yes, this job is really for an experienced professional to do. If you've never done one before, you'll really have your hands full. And on top of everything else, you've got a sunroof, which makes the job that much more involved. As far as putting the glass in several times, that's not nessessary, as the headliner gets glued to the window openings. Leave the glass out, and take it to a pro, you'll be happier in the long run. I've done a couple before, and it's probably the hardest job ever to do on a t-3. I think that was why I cut the roof off my Square, just so I wouldn't have to do another headliner. Shocked
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
vihannes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 2:16 am    Post subject: Re: Headliner for FB w Sunroof Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:

Yes, this job is really for an experienced professional to do. If you've never done one before, you'll really have your hands full. And on top of everything else, you've got a sunroof, which makes the job that much more involved...

Hmm...
So, what is the major thing which makes this job so hard / difficult to do by yourself? I have original workshop manual for Typ3, and if I'll do everything "as the book says", where will I do all mistakes and so on?

Yes, I believe what Bobnotch said, but I only want to know why it would so difficult? Please, tell me.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Headliner for FB w Sunroof Reply with quote

vihannes wrote:
So, what is the major thing which makes this job so hard / difficult to do by yourself? I have original workshop manual for Typ3, and if I'll do everything "as the book says", where will I do all mistakes and so on?

Yes, I believe what Bobnotch said, but I only want to know why it would so difficult? Please, tell me.

One wrong cut and the headliner is scrap. Shocked
If you really want to do it yourself, plan on spending a FULL day on it with no interuptions from the wife, kids or friends, and no beer drinking either. Wink You'll need it like that, in order to do the job. You'll want to start at the front, and work your way to the back. You'll need a bunch (10 or more) small spring clamps to temporary hold the material in position, some good contact glue, and a heat gun for removing the wrinkles.
You'll want to get all the bows installed in both the headliner, and in the car, so it's partly held in place, and so it can be centered. Then pull it in position, and start glueing the front. Use the clamps to hold it in position, then glue it to the outside of the window opening. Trim it later after you've got it like you want.
When it's time to cut the opening for the sunroof (done last) leave plenty of material around the opening, as it can be trimmed some more later. Then glue it to the top of the opening. There should be a piece to do the small roof opening in the kit, so you don't need to re-use the piece you cut out for the hole (my Notch's kit was like this).
This is a very involved job, and I'd rather do anything else on the car than do another headliner. Shocked I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
vihannes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You!
Very good instructions! Quite same procedure as in Workshop manual.
Everything seems to be "clear as mud" Very Happy

One question:
When should heat gun be used for removing the wrinkles? After I have clued, or before - I mean, if I heat vinyl after it has been clued, so vinyl will be warmed, and those wrinkles are lost when vinyl has cooled, eh?

I must, of course, first clue all those little paddings first. Here is a picture from extra roof where from sunroof for my fasty was taken... ´
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And here it is in place...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget to install the rear drain hoses before you install the headliner, otherwise you'll never get them in and the water will ruin the headliner. The hoses should pass thru the rear "C" post, then thru a hole to the outside (inside the rear fender). Your conversion looks good though. Cool

It's been a while since I did a vinyl headliner (last 2 were cloth), but yes, you'll want to heat after it's in place. If you put it out in the sun before installation, it will allow you to stretch it some (it'll be a little softer and plyable, but this might make the job tougher). Rolling Eyes I hope this helps.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: